Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there guys anybody have any 243 or 6mm wildcats out there?
Was wondering what i could do with a 243 winchester chambering to realy make them fly.Something besides a 240 Weatherby.
Thanks for your time.
Frank .S. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Northern Hunter, You can change that 243 [I don't know what type of rifle you have] into a 243 Ackley Improved or 6 MM Rem. Ackley Improved. With my Encore and a Bullberry 24 in. heavy barrel in 6 MM Ackley Imp. really increased the velocity and is it accurate!!! Jimbo

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Jeff Harp over at Huntamerica built his own Wildcat he calls the 6mm Harp. Apparently it's pretty hot. You may want to contact him for details.

·
Registered
711 Posts
6mm

I'm getting 3800fps with a 70gr out of 6mmai. That's getting pretty close to 6-284, 6-06 . Anything beyond that, is going to be Tough on barrel life. It all depends on what you want to do, range wise, and whether you're punchin paper, or animals. O :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've been a 6mm bore fan for more years than I would admit to. I wanted a cartridge with ballistics rivaling the Ackley Improved 6MM's without the feeding problems. I designed what I thought would work, had the reamer made and had a barrel chambered for it. I split the difference between the 6MM Remington and the 6MM/06. Remington's case is 57MM in length, the '06 is 63MM and mine is 60MM. I maintained the original Remington shoulder angle for ease of feeding and am delighted with the resulting cartridge.
I load the 100gr. bullet in front of 50gr. of Reloader 22 @ an average 3257fps instrumental 15 foot.
Have taken numerous deer and Pronghorns along with a half-dozen elk with it. Those 100gr Remington's seem to be the ideal bullet for big game. The sub-minute groups don't hurt either I suspect.

God Bless and good shooting!

·
698 Posts
Who needs one, 55 gr. bullet at 4000 fps and a 68 gr. bullet at 3700 fps will handle any of my varminting needs, plus be a good deer rifle with 100 gr. Partitions. I think Winchester hit the nail on the head with this cartridge, it's one of my favorites.
Selmer

·
698 Posts
Who needs one, 55 gr. bullet at 4000 fps and a 68 gr. bullet at 3700 fps will handle any of my varminting needs, plus be a good deer rifle with 100 gr. Partitions. I think Winchester hit the nail on the head with this cartridge, it's one of my favorites.
Selmer

·
Registered
152 Posts
Frank,

I've been fortunate to stumble onto a source of retired Shilen 6PPC benchrest barrels for cheap. They have 1/15 or 1/14 twists so 75 gr. BT bullets or 80 gr. FB bullets are about the that can be accurately be fired out of the barrels. Having a couple 243s I wanted something different and didn't want ot deal with the hassle of finding 6PPC brass. So I short chamber the barrels with a 240 Weatherby reamer and use 220 Swift brass for casings. Reloading dies are made by cutting back a 240 sizing die and I use the seater die from RCBS 243 competition die set. The cartridge is about the same as the 240 Apex(?) wich was a 6mmx220 Swift w/o the need for a custom reamer or dies set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts