Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really keen to own a 6mm rem.

I dont know why there are no factory rifles made in 6mm anymore.
The reasons are plenty of projectiles to choose from, performance edge over the .243win, longer case neck reducing throat erosion compared to .243

I plan to pick up a well used .243(or .308), rebarrel to 6mm, replace with tactical stock and trigger work/replacement
What is a good action to start with?
The gun will be my long range varmint rig (I have .204 for ranges to 400 yards)
Magazine capacity of 5 rds or more, solid scope mounting (integral rail maybe), good bedding surface and recoil lug are essential elements of the action I start with

Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
not convinced the 6mm is that much better than the 243. However if you want to build a riffle and use a 243 or 308 action then I would build a 25/08. No feed problems and something a little different.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hmmmm in theory it looks like the 6mm Rem should have the advantage over the 243 Win but it does not seem to come about in real terms. I was not aware that no new rifles were being chambered in 6mm Rem anymore ::) but I do know that 243 Win is far easier to get ammo and cases for.

Here in the UK, and especially where I live, anything apart from Primers and bullets, so that's cases and factory ammunition has to be special ordered for the 6mm Remington whilst you can have our choice for the 243 Win.

If you decide to go the 6mm Remington route then may I suggest you stock up on cases ;) that is unless it's popular in your area. Earlier this year I brought my second hundred 6mm Rem cases and next year will get another 100 cases for it.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Brithunter, Why only 100 cases at a time? Are you limited by law or price? Just curious.

I try to buy by the thousand when I buy cases.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
pastorp said:
Brithunter, Why only 100 cases at a time? Are you limited by law or price? Just curious.

I try to buy by the thousand when I buy cases.

Regards,
Cost :'( and lack of funds. Too many projects going on as well. Cartridge cases are not licenceable unless their primed then it's grey area.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
I think the main reason you do not see new rifles in the 6mm or 244 is because the 243 may be the better cartridge. I believe the 243 has a wider application and the twist is more conductive to a larger selection of bullets.

I see the 243 has a 1:10 twist, the 6mm a 1:9 twist and the 244 a 1:12 twist. The 1:10 seems to stabalize a wider variety of those 6mm pills than the other two twists.

I also do not see much if any difference in the case dimentions so I think it is a matter of the bullet weight and the twist as to accuarcy. The 6mm/244 was introduced in 1955 and re-introduced in 1964 with a 1:9 twist to stabalize heavier 100 gn 6mm bullets.

Even though the shoulder angles are a bit different I suppose that if you really wanted to you could probably get a custom 6mm/244 barrel with the 1:10 243 twist and nobody would ever know the difference...

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
If you are talking rechamber this won't work if you look at the cartridge drawing you will see there is less taper in the 6mm rem case. Now you could rechamber to a 6mm AI.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Millsy...

Ive heard the .243 vs 6mm debate ad nauseaum. Sometimes a guy just wants something, so if its a 6mm go for it! Personally, Ive owned 3-6mm's and 0-243's.

The twist debate is dependent on the wt. bullet you want to shoot, as Im sure you know. Figure out what bullets you want to shoot, then buy your bbl /twist accordingly. I had a hvy bbl 6 from Ruger and it wouldn't shoot heavy bullets but my oh my would it shoot a sweet little group with 85 gr. Speers. Bullet wt. in turn is most likely dictated by the type of vermin you want to harvest, and if youre looking to fill the 400+ yard void you probably will want to shoot 90 - 100 grain bullets.

I don't think you could go wrong with a Remington 700 action or a Sako action. The 700 action would be a lot cheaper and easier to come up with as a "used" firearm. My current 6 is built on the Sako II which is a nice length for the 6, with a Shilen bbl. I built it thin and light for use as a mtn rifle, but it still shoots 1/2 groups at 100yds with nosler and hornady 100 grainers. Probably wouldn't hold up to well on a prairie dog town, but its a great gun for long range coyote thumping.

Let us know what you decide to go with.

Silvertp

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
6mm Remington performance over 243 Winchester = Zero.
243 Winchester ammo is easier to locate plus if you reload the brass is also easier and cheaper to buy.

Velocity isn’t a performance measurement, delivering an accurate bullet on target should be your goal.

If you want a 6mm Remington no problem there are many good platforms to choose.

I would strongly suggest a 6mm Ackley Improved over the standard 6mm Remington; you will have long case life with less trimming.

yooper77

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I too have a 6mm Remmy from Ruger. It's a Model 77 with a heavy barrel and yes, it does SHOOT those 85 grain bullets quite well. Cover them with a dime if I do my part...

Just destroys 'yotes...

Takes deer with a good shot...

Makes crows EXPLODE.

Pumpkins turn into pie filling...

That's all I've ever shot with it.

NGH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Never had an luck with a 243. I have and love my 6mms though. From my experience the 6mm has more inherent accuracy. I have a remington 700 adl sporter. It is a consistent sub half moa gun with 85 grain gamekings. I have seen the same load do excellent in our family's 2 40xs and all other sporters. I would think the best way to get a good shooter and do it all yourself is to find a cheap savage 10 or 12 with a standard bolt face and rebarrel. You would then have a good gun with a match barrel in an excellent chambering.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hmmm well I was never really intersted in the 6mm/243 as all that I heard led me to believe that they were fairly fussy about likes and dislikes in bullets and ammunition. Add to that the fact that the Police here like to foist the .243 mainly on folks as it's the minimum, or was, legal for deer.

However I stumbled upon a rather nice looking Parker-Hale 1200V in 6mm Rem at a very good price ;D so I got a 6mm and the journey started. A while later whilst looking for a BSA for a friend in NZ I stumbled across a BSA majestic in yep .243 that has the BESA Recoil reducer machined into the barrel and it had the Range Adaptor fitted that closes off the muzzle break so I acquired a .243 as well ;D I am sorry to say that some misguided sole (former owner) had wrecked the barrel channel bedding and the action bedding (obviously someone who had swallowed the free floatign mantra) so I had to play about with wood filler and see if it could be brought back and I succeeded :) and test shooting it the rifle shows promise so now once I get the finaces straight, next year now at least ::), it will go off to Les and have the bedding repaired properly and tested with factory ammo and come back shootign as well as it can ;).

Meanwhile I came across a Parker-Hale 1000 with 8x56 scope again in .243 that has the barrel screw cut for a sound moderator and I had be deliberating which rifle to have screw cut, now I don't have to decide and I have not got a model 1000 as yet ;D. Then to cap it all a friend has had to give up his FAC and has offered his customised Midland 2100 again in .243 so suddenly I will have 3x .243's and a 6mm ::) and thats' why the finances will take a while to recover ;D

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I've got a 24'' barrel for my Encore in 6mm A.I.--1-9 twist. Fire forming brass with 105gr. Best group so far is a little under an inch at 100yds, which am sure will improve when I get some time to work up a better load. Havn't had time to chrony the loads yet, but accfording to the books, will get 400fps better than a .243 with 90grs. So far I'm happy with it. gypsyman

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you decide to go 6mm, I would advise that you consider building on a long action. A lot of .243's can use up the magazine length by seating bullets close the lands in a short action, let alone a 6mm.
Ackley Improved (AI) would be another option you may want to consider. You can have either a 243 or a 6mm chambered with the 40 Deg. AI shoulder when you order the barrel. The twist rate is up to you, and will be picked at this time. The gunsmith should finish the chamber a little short so fireforming the AI casings from factory brass will be a piece of cake.
As far as donor actions, I recommend the Rem. 700 in BDL, or any model that gives you the bottom metal with the donor gun. This includes the floorplate/trigger guard assy., magazine box, spring and follower, etc. You will pay a lot extra to get those pieces if you use an ADL action and want the floorplate convenience. It's just better sense to buy it all in one gun.
The factory stock from the donor gun could POSSIBLY be used, but you probably will want to opt for an aftermarket of some sort. Remember that the new barrel will most likely not have the same contour as the factory barrel, unless you ordered it that way or your gunsmith will reproduce the factory contour for you. The stock dimensions are going to be different, most likely.
Just some things to think about, but definitely a fun thing to do.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Hummmm....I've never seen a .243 Winchester that shoot over 3/4 MOA. Most are much better than that. The 6mm Remington is an ok cartridge.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Oh dear swampy ::) you have led a sheltered life ;) one reason I kept clear of the 243 Winchester is that it's, or can be, very fussy about bullets it's fed. Here most folks use the 100 grain bullets for deer to stay within the legal limits imposed on power and bullet weight depending on where your hunting. A lot of .243's will not group the 100 grain bullets well. In fact a friend had a particular rifle that he brought for his intended ;) that would not shoot any bullets over 95 grains in weight with any accuracy. 100 grain factory federal which is known to be accurate did patterns of around 5" at 100 yards. Yet feed it 85 grain bullets and it tore out little bug holes.

I ended up with a .243 Win that is fussy but it does have bedding problems due to a moron who owned it before and swallowed the free float mantra rubbish and wrecked the bedding and barrel inletting. I need to get it rebuilt by a competant stock maker ::). It was not the chambering and calibre I wanted but the rifle as it had features I did not have in my collection but heck we have to try them out don't we. ;)

Now it seems that they are multiplying on me as before long I will have three rifles chambered for the .243 Winchester cartridge :eek: out numbering the poor lonely single 6mm Remington in the rack here.

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Let me guess.....they don't sell Remington ammo over there.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts