Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BSA rifle in 244 Rem. It has a 1 in 10 pitch. Does anyone have pet loads suitable for large deer. The load might also be used for black bear or elk in a pinch although, admittedly, a 244 is a little light for those tasks (backup gun). I am particularly interested in bullets that do not have a sharp exposed lead tip that may deform from recoil from previous shots or dropping etc. Any help would be much appreciated.....RK

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
charles said:
I think a plain vanilla Nosler Partition would be an excellent choice.
hard to go ^ ^ ^ wrong with this

pretty much any animal will be reduced to your possession
when you put a hole(s) in the pump house. what did arnold
say ? "if it bleeds, we can kill it. . "

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have actually carried Nosler Partitions for this rifle though I have never actually killed a deer with that rifle/ load combination. I have used Nosler Partitions in my 30-06 and harvested many deer at a variety of ranges with that combination. I have great confidence in them at short to moderate ranges. I did shoot one deer at extreme range and the bullet went in lower right, just clipping the diaphragm, hit the heart, part of a lung and came to rest just under the skin by the opposite shoulder. Never touched a bone. The tip had barely begun to peel back and the bullet had no increase in diameter. This was probably due to the velocity on impact being below the effective expansion window for that bullet, and not hitting bone. This prompted me to switch to the Sierra 165g hollow point boat tail which has a larger effective expansion window. They worked fine at moderate to long ranges but were explosive at short ranges. You can't have it all I guess. I am wondering if anyone has experience with any of the newer polymer tipped bullets at close and extreme ranges. At least one friend has good reports at all ranges but I would like a larger sample. The Nosler suggestion is excellent and may be what I go back to. With the .244 I would be starting at a higher velocity and passing up extreme shots with the lighter caliber. At reasonable ranges on elk or bear a partition would be the perfect fit. It is also possible that my extreme range 30-06 experience was a fluke and not the norm. Thanks for your input. I would pleased to hear observations from any polymer tipped bullet users. Thanks again.........RK

·
Registered
589 Posts
If your 244 has a 1in10 twist it should shoot well with any of the 100gr bullets out there. My favorites are either the 100gr Pro Hunter Sierra or the 100gr Hornady Interlock. My favorite powders are IMR4831 or RL19. I have no use for polymer tipped bullets and don't feel you need partitions for white tail deer but they would be a good choice if you were to hunt black bears.

·
24,003 Posts
ive shot deer with just about every bullet from 85 cup and cores to 100 cup and cores, premium barnes and nosler 85s and 100s. Ive shot a couple bear up to 300 lbs with the 6mm too. Heres my opinion on it. Your dealing with a caliber that is on the small side so expansion in a bullet is about paramount. Now I will be talking deer and bear under about 350 lbs and pigs. I wouldn't choose any 24 cal even my 240 wby for elk. My best luck has been with good old cup and core 100s. Nos ballistic tips, sierra prohunters, speer hot cores, hornady interlocks and this year I shot a couple with the 95 hornady sst. The ballistic tips, sierras and speers are my first choise. the interlock is a bit to stout and the sst is a bit to lightly constructed (unless all your hunting is deer) Ive also shot a pastle of deer with good old rem 100 grain corelocks and at back straps after every pull of the trigger. The partition is a good bullet, no doubt. Ive killed ALOT of deer with partitions but I really don't think there worth the cost of the upgrade for the animals im talking. Now if I was held down and forced to use my 6mm on elk 100 grain partitions would be loaded. One other downside to them for me is in probably 10 24 cal guns ive loaded for the cup and cores outshot the partitions. If told I had to hunt deer with a barnes 6mm bullet id stay home. Sorry fans of the barnes bullets but my buddy and I shot enough deer doing crop damage with barnes bullets to find that there not the ticket on deer. At least not the 243 and 257 bullets. They tend to put a little hole going in and a little hole going out. We spent quite a few all nighters chasing deer until they finally died or tracking on our hands and knees because of a minimal blood trail. Now when you step up to 7mm and especially .308 the barnes bullets seem to get it done but no small caliber ones for me. To summarize, get a bigger gun for elk. Elk rifles start at .270. If you want quick kills and accuracy stick to a cup and core 100 for deer, bear or pigs. They've been killing deer for 50 years and still will be 50 years from now. They are the premium bullets for a 6mm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lloyd, now that you mention it, every rifle I have shot partitions in has shot single cup bullets better. I guess that when you cup and draw the same bullet twice, have the possibility of doubling your tolerance errors no matter how small they are.........RK

·
24,003 Posts
I don't think its that. Bullets tend to be more accurate when the jacket is thin IE varmit and match bullets and is probably why bullets like the sierras and nos bt shoot so well. I also will not say partitions aren't accurate. Ive had a couple guns through the years that shot them for a best load. But it seems that when they shoot exceptional in a gun its a gun that doesn't want to shoot anything else. Kind of like a barnes bullet. Bottom line though is if you can get a partition to shoot well enough that it is accurate enough at the longest range you will shoot theres probably not a better bullets. To me that means moa or better because I do shoot deer out to 500 yards and that's a lot to ask of a partition out of a production gun. Contrary to what some here will post getting moa out of an out of the box gun isn't as easy as you think. Now im talking an average of 3 5shot groups not one lucky 3 shot 1/2 inch group, call it good and go hunting. I even will fire these 5 groups on two different days. If your going to shoot live animals way out there you owe it to them to come with a good gun in a chambering that's powerful enough to give quick kills and accurate enough that if you do your part it will do its. To me my 6mm is a 300 yard at most gun. I could maybe live with 1 1/4 groups with it (and that's what the best partition load does)but I tend to use it on prarie dogs with the same hunting ammo so that puts me back at moa or less.
metalwrkr said:
Lloyd, now that you mention it, every rifle I have shot partitions in has shot single cup bullets better. I guess that when you cup and draw the same bullet twice, have the possibility of doubling your tolerance errors no matter how small they are.........RK

·
Registered
753 Posts
metalwrkr said:
I have a BSA rifle in 244 Rem. It has a 1 in 10 pitch. Does anyone have pet loads suitable for large deer. The load might also be used for black bear or elk in a pinch although, admittedly, a 244 is a little light for those tasks (backup gun). I am particularly interested in bullets that do not have a sharp exposed lead tip that may deform from recoil from previous shots or dropping etc. Any help would be much appreciated.....RK
Washington is like Co and 6mm is minimum allowed for big game. I'm not saying you couldn't use 6mm on mule or black tail deer. I sure won't be out on public land trying to fill a deer tag and I own 243 with Kreiger barrel and 243 AI with Hart barrel that is limited for antelope tag.

·
Registered
10,172 Posts
I love my .243 for game up to mule deer size at modest ranges. There's no way i'd deliberately use it for anything bigger.

I'm of the opinion that 'premium' bullets are most valuable when pushing the envelope for the cartridge size. If my target game requires bullets other than properly chosen cup and core bullets, what I really need is a bigger cartridge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I will spend some time working with the partition Noslers. Since the rifle will be a backup only it will work fine for mule deer at moderate ranges and anything else only if my 30-06 suffers an accident. I am ancient enough to stay with what I am most comfortable with.........RK

·
24,003 Posts
theres a truck load of them in deer heaven that are going to want to talk to me when I get there ;)
roper said:
metalwrkr said:
Washington is like Co and 6mm is minimum allowed for big game. I'm not saying you couldn't use 6mm on mule or black tail deer. I sure won't be out on public land trying to fill a deer tag and I own 243 with Kreiger barrel and 243 AI with Hart barrel that is limited for antelope tag.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.