Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well back in the summer i had asked about factory ammo and there performance in the 45/70.I was told that any one of them would be fine.Well I spent the summer shooting both the 25 and the 45 with all brands of ammo.For the 45 I chose to bullets that worked well in my hand.One being the hornady 325gr leverevolution and the other the 405gr remington.The 325 being more accurate at a lil longer distance.Fro the 25 I settled on the winchester 117gr.Well start of our season for us was moose so i left the handi's at home and took my 7mm.After an uneventfull opener I went deer hunting and for some reason kept using my 7mm.Well after a clean miss on a large buck at about 40 yrds I decided to park it and go for the handi's.I first outing would be with the 25.My friend has some alfalfa fields that sometimes requires a longer shot so i thought it to be the perfect oppurtunity to try out the lil gun.Well I didnt get 100yrds out of my driveway when I noticed 3 does in my field.I got out and these silly does came right for me.I shot the one broad side at 20yds and she dropped like a semi had hit her.The bullet passed clean thru taking out both lungs.I was surprised at how little clotting there was around the ribs.Still dont know how this bullet will perform at farther distances but did a much cleaner job then my 7mm ever has.A few days later i grabbed the 45 and headed out.Didnt get far when i spotted a nice 7pt buck standing broadside.By the time i got out of the truck he had gone in the bush.I walked up and I could see him standing facing away from me approx 20 30 yrds.I didnt have a shot so I hit the doe bleat and he turned ever so slightly to look at what was going on.I thought I had a decent sight behind her left shoulder so I let a 325 gr fly.He dropped like a sack of potatoes.Unfortunetly my shot did not go where I thought it had,instead I hit him in the left hind quarter and the bullet passed completley thru and exited to the right of his neck.Had this been my 7mm the whole darn deer would have been mush,instead I only had to trim a very small amount of meat as there was no static shock.Not impressed with my shot but very impressed with bullet performance.My last deer was again with the 45 and the 405gr remingtons.I spotted a doe in my field about 120 yrds out.I got to within 100 or so and she was alert.I put the xhairs on her back and pulled the trigger.Well her back end dropped and her front end came up and over.the bullet hit her spine and exited thru the offside front shoulder,again all i had to trim was some meat about the size of a silver dollar.One thing I have noticed with the 45 is that the entrance hole is much bigger then the exit hole.I love both these handi's as well as the calibers.I sold my 7mm last week and am now looking for a new handi to fill the gap between the 45 and the 25.Something to shoot moose out to 200 yrds.Wish they made a 280.I will try to post some pics later.without this site I would never have known about the capabilities of the handi's

thanks

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
Sounds like a good season. My friend they do make a 280. But you have all kinds of options between the 25 & 45.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Nice shooting; and yes they do make a 280 - 26" barrel. They also make 30-06, 270, 7-08 and 308 just for starters. ;)

·
Super Moderator
51,252 Posts
Congrats, they don't call em "Handis" for nothing!!

Try Long's in Colburg, Ontario, 905-797-2700, if they can't help ya, maybe they know someone who can. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts