Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago like maybe 15 the 250 savage was suppose to be the real deal. At the time I guess it filled a real void in the .257 class, and also was suppose to not only be very accurate but also a very good deer cartridge. Maybe I have not read the right magazines, or followed the right forums but I have noted very little about the caliber in single shot pistols. I have been looking high and low for a XP 100 in the caliber and there does not seem to be any to be found. Then I noticed in the classified ads in this forum and I see there is a 250 barrel for sale for a pretty good price and even with a few lookers there were no responses. So what's the deal? Is the savage a junker or is there something else that is just that much better?
Thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
From my understanding, the 243 and 6MM pretty much meant the beginning of the end for the 250 savage. It's a good round, just not as potent. :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Marv
I have a 15" 250 Savage Encore barrel, which I bought for deer hunting in Indiana. Unfortunately I moved to Illinois and it's not a legal caliber here, so the barrel is gathering dust in my safe.
I've even posted it for sale/trade here, but then changed my mind, cause I won't be living in Illinois forever, and I'd miss that barrel.
Greg

·
Registered
267 Posts
The .250 is a far better round than the .243 or the 6mm (244) in that it will take down a deer just as fast with less recoil, less powder (more efficient), and more accuracy. It also doesn't make as much noise as the two 6mm rounds. It has a better barrel life so you can get more shooting for your money. You can shoot a heavier bullet in the .25 cal. class. Another good round is the .250 AI., I get 3000 fps with a 90g bullet in my 14" Encore.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 250 Savage is notoriously under loaded by the factory due to older model 99 Savages and such. The 250 will do anything that a 243 will do when handloaded. I personally feel it is a better killer than the 243, but that is only my opinion. I jusy got a stainless 14" SSK Contender barrel in 250 Savage and it is just wonderful!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I used a SSK Industries 14" Stainless-Steel .250 Savage Contender barrel for one year, but then unfortunately a buddy talked me out of it. My buddy still has the barrel, and as such I still get to shoot it from time to time. I worked up two loads for the .250 Savage Contender when I had it, and my buddy is still using those two loads to this day.

One used a 75gr. Hornady Hollow Point at a muzzle velocity of 2950 FPS. I used this load on a couple Prairie Dog hunts, and it worked quite well. Accuracy was quite good with this load, with most groups running between 1/2" & 3/4". However if I was going to load such a load today for Varmints I think I would try a 75gr. Hornady V-Max.

The other load I used consisted of a 100gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip at a muzzle velocity of 2550 FPS. This load was quite accurate in this barrel, and consistantly produced 5 shot groups at 100 yards of less than an inch. I did take one Whitetail Buck with this load, and the bullet performance was excellent. My hunting buddy also took a Whitetail Buck this past season with the same load, and again the results were excellent.

While I never did take a Deer with them, I also shot a few boxes of Remington 100gr. Pointed Soft Point Core Lokt Factory Loads through this barrel. If I remember correctly the muzzle velocity was right around 2400 FPS, and it consistantly produced 5 shot groups at 100 yards of right at the one inch mark.

My only regret in working with the .250 Savage SSK Industries Barrel is that I let my buddy talk me out of it.

Good luck

Larry

·
Registered
389 Posts
How does the 257 JDJ compare to the .250 Savage...

both out of a contender barrel. I have access to a .250 Savage barrel, but not sure if I can really load it up that hot, with the .250 Savage case. I know I can't load it as hot as if it was in a XP-100. How can you tell when your at a max load in a contender action? Thanks for any advise! Dennis e-mail at [email protected] :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Ruger 77R in 250-3000 and love it, I have a very accurate Varmint load put together with a 75gr V-Max, recoil is nill, flattens groundhogs dead as dirt, I have nothing against the 243 or 6MM they are great rounds..but I sure wouldnt part with my 250, brass is a bit pricey lately..but nothing that would bankrupt anyone, and as mentioned before you do have the option to load heavier 25cal bullets for deer if you desire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts