Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my father has a brand new Kimber 84 Montana in .257 Roberts caliber. So far out of two factory loads and 4 different handloads we have only found 1 load that will group acceptably at 100 yards. Most groups have been averaging in the 6 inch range, not good. Does anyone have any pet loads they would be willing to share? I have IMR 4831, IMR 4064, Hybrid 100V, and I think some RL19 on hand. Also have 100 grain Nosler Part, 100 grain Hot-cor, and 90 grain GMX bullets on hand. The rifle has a 1-10" twist, very light contour barrel. It heats up fast. Cartridges have to be loaded short to fit in the short action. Any thoughts?

·
24,008 Posts
kimbers were pot luck for accuracy. Youd think a high dollar gun like them would shoot lights out but its just not the case. My 308 montanas is a finiky girl. Most groups 1.5-2.0 inch. It took a lot of load development and a bit of luck to find out it really likes 130speers and shoots them sub moa but everything else is mediocure to poor. Common problem with these guns if you do some research and ive heard bad reports more on the 257s then any other caliber. Try going out of the box. try some 87 grain bullets or maybe some barns tsx bullets. Barnes bullets seen to me to shoot mediocure in a gun that shoots conventional bullets real well but in some of my guns that didn't shoot so well they did exceptional.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 722 in the bob and it shoots 48 grains of H4831, WW primer, WW brass neck sized, 100 grain nosler partitions very good. It also likes 39 grains of 4064 with 85 grain ballistic tips for coyotes.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well so far the rifle has went in wrong direction. Last range trip, same lot/ type of primers rifle started not firing,light primer strikes. Previous trip we shot 40 rounds same primer lot no issue. Very frustrating, my dad is pretty disappointed in this rifle so far. We did check on the mag box and front action screw issues and addressed those. Most recent range trip yielded 4" 100 yard groups between the light primer strikes. Better but still not good. Pretty sad when my 300 dollar Marlin 336 .35 Rem easily outshoots this expensive rifle. May be shelved for the season and sent back to kimber after deer season.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've got a 257 Roberts Remington 700 Classic. One of my pet loads is 35 grains of IMR 4064 with the 117 grain Sierra SPBT.
This rifle has done well with a variety of bullets and powders so I've found this a very easy one to load for.
Sorry to hear of the problems with your rifle.
One thing I've discovered is this rifle has a very tight chamber. I do t know if this is a factor in why it does so well.

·
24,008 Posts
might want to consider sending it back in for warrantee work. From what ive read they have taken care of problem guns. Mine is no tack driver. It (308) shoots 130 speer hps into less then an inch but most other groups are 2 inch which for the most part is exceptable accuracy for what a guy will use a lightweight 308. If I was looking at results like you are getting id be boxing it up.
Masterblaster1 said:
Well so far the rifle has went in wrong direction. Last range trip, same lot/ type of primers rifle started not firing,light primer strikes. Previous trip we shot 40 rounds same primer lot no issue. Very frustrating, my dad is pretty disappointed in this rifle so far. We did check on the mag box and front action screw issues and addressed those. Most recent range trip yielded 4" 100 yard groups between the light primer strikes. Better but still not good. Pretty sad when my 300 dollar Marlin 336 .35 Rem easily outshoots this expensive rifle. May be shelved for the season and sent back to kimber after deer season.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, Lloyd boxing it up and sending it back may happen. However, we did get it to fire reliably again, but haven't made it back to the range yet to try different loads. Looks more and more like my dad will have to use one of his other rifles this deer season as we are quickly running out of time to get this Kimber up to snuff.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've got an A-Bolt II Medallion in .257 Roberts.

What I don't have is a "pet load" for it.

It shot fantastically right from new with the first load I tried, which was a full dose of 4064 behind a Hornady SST using Nosler brass and CCI primers, with the powder charge taken from the Hornady manual. So far, it has shot very well with everything I've tried in it.

That rifle is fast becoming a favorite and will likely be serving as my main centerfire rifle going forward. Realistically, it's all the big game rifle I need, and even though I'm not much in to varmint whacking, it is accurate enough for that if I want to do some of it and respect my rifle's petite barrel profile while I do it. Light to carry, very accurate, not too hard on the eyes, and a pleasure to shoot, with enough thump to end an elk's day with one shot at around 175 yards or so. Seems pretty close to perfection, to me.

The .257 Roberts has been a highly enjoyable round to work with to me and I suspect the O.P.'s dad will concur when he gets his Kimber sorted out.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Make sure your scope is not the problem. I've heard of Kimber rifles having issues but I would eliminate all variables, such as rings, mounts or a scope that won't hold zero.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep checked the scope. Everything is tight. Scope was on another rifle previously and was fine. It is a Lepould VX-III so it's not a cheapy. Nothing new to report as I haven't made it back to the range yet.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Barnes 85 gr TSX, 48 gr H4350, 3309 fps, M98 Mauser 24 inch ER Shaw barrel. safe in my rifle. please work up the load in your rifle. sub 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds off sandbags.Remember Barnes states bullet must be .050 from the lands. I measured my bullet in the bore touching the lands, distance to bolt face and set my OAL .050 from the lands.

·
Registered
40 Posts
90 grain Sierra HPBT over a max load of IMR4064. Out of a Roberts this bullet will shoot through any broadside or slightly quartering too/away deer . A super bullet for the Bob, only bullet I ever used in the Roberts for 6 or so deer, all under 50 yards and DRT.
The HP design allows you to seat to or in the lands but keep a short OAL. Try it, you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I had. Winchester 70XTR in the Roberts and it shot terrific with 100 grain Hornadys. That is a light weight sporter, which should act similar to your Kimber. I'd bet it was forend pressure that is giving you problems. Too much pressure will never let your barrel vibrate the same way from shot to shot. Without doing any sanding, often a few smacks with a rubber mallet at the forend will compress the wood enough to relax the pressure a bit. I would not sand it if you plan on it going back to Kimber

1 - 14 of 14 Posts