Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to this forum, and I could use some of you guy's help. I'm going to reload some 257 weatherby shells for a friend of mine. I've reloaded some 7mm Rem Mag. shells before. My question for ya'll is about how many times can you reload each brass before you need to throw it away. I'll be using weatherby brass. I'll also be trimming the necks too, just need to know what to expect for brass life. Thanks guy's I really enjoy this sight.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Brass life depends mostly on how hot you're going to load them. With max (or near max) loads, you might get 5 - 6 reloads before they start to go. With a fairly mild target load, perhaps two to three times that. You need to be sure you're not excessively resizing them, and annealing the necks when needed. I think keeping brass clean by tumbling can also help with life.

In most cases, it's split necks from either not annealing or improper annealing that ends the life of a brass case early. The other problem is expanded primer pockets from hot loads, or even case head separations.

And finally, I guess a badly cut chamber will also contribute to short case life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts