Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Pros: Accurate, flat shooting, low recoil, high BC bullets, fits in my Model 7, kills things very dead, cases can be formed from .308, .243, 7mm-08 etc.
Cons: factory ammo sometimes hard

If you reload, Noslers 125 grain Partition is both accurate and deadly.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine is a model 700 but the 260 is flat, accurate, kills things very dead, low recoil. I shoot the 120 Ballistic Tip, the 129 Hornady PSP and the 140 Partition.

Mine will not shoot the 125 Partition under 2" and usually it's 3"-4".

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I killed a couple good exotics( a Mouflon and a big Axis buck) with the .260 and the 129gr Hornady. I felt that particular bullet was too hard ( slow in expanding) and was not a quick killer, got complete penetration on both animals, which took two shots each.(Arguably, the same thing might have happened with a 7mm Mag!) I later had that rifle re chambered to 6.5/284 and dropped down to the most excellent 120/125 Nosler. Fast kills, also complete penetration, no recovered bullets! If I had used the 120NBT at first or even the 100gr BT/PT with the .260 I would have seen far better results. It's a good round, you really can't go wrong with it unless, like me, you used the wrong bullet for the task at hand. I agree that a 160 solid may be useful for headshots on elephant, from what I've read, ha. ;) I really don't think the 140's are any better on game than the lighter ones. For targets/long range, sure, can't beat the BC on those things.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
A 6.5 might be the next rifle I get.

I'd take a close look at the 6.5 Creedmore. Does what the 260 and Swede do with less powder (less recoil and longer barrel life). Can fit the longest bullets in a short action magazine without eating into case capacity. And over the counter match grade ammo is readily available for less than $30 a box. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=9985

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sheridan5mm said:
A 6.5 might be the next rifle I get.

I'd take a close look at the 6.5 Creedmore. Does what the 260 and Swede do with less powder (less recoil and longer barrel life). Can fit the longest bullets in a short action magazine without eating into case capacity. And over the counter match grade ammo is readily available for less than $30 a box. http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=9985
availability of over the counter ammo is certainly something to consider . Think I will do some research on your suggestion .

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Well I'm no expert. I've had 30-06, 270, and a light weight short barreled 308. And when I wanted a milder rifle to shoot, I picked a .243 for it's popularity and availability.
And while everything 243 is thick on the shelves, and they're well known for accuracy, the premium stuff aint cheap.
And I wouldn't mind movin up a little bit in power. And from what I've read, the Creedmore is in the same category as the 308 as far as just about anything you put in it will shoot tight groups.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sheridan5mm said:
Well I'm no expert. I've had 30-06, 270, and a light weight short barreled 308. And when I wanted a milder rifle to shoot, I picked a .243 for it's popularity and availability.
And while everything 243 is thick on the shelves, and they're well known for accuracy, the premium stuff aint cheap.
And I wouldn't mind movin up a little bit in power. And from what I've read, the Creedmore is in the same category as the 308 as far as just about anything you put in it will shoot tight groups.
I just did a search on the creedmore , seems their very limited to a few manufactures right off the shelf . A reputable rifle builder maybe the way to go. Could you remove the barrel on a .308 and rebarrel to 6.5 and not interfere with the receiver . Since I have 2 .308 s converting one is a consideration.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've been shooting and reloading the 6.5x55, for years, and have been very happy with it on deer and antelope using bolt rifles and a TC Encore. I have lots of 6.5 bullets on hand in weights from 100 gr to 160 gr. so I am looking for a 260 upper for a DPMS .308, The ballistics are about the same for the 260 and the swede but the 55mm case is too long, with a 140 gr bullet, for the AR action.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mcbammer said:
Sheridan5mm said:
I just did a search on the creedmore , seems their very limited to a few manufactures right off the shelf . A reputable rifle builder maybe the way to go. Could you remove the barrel on a .308 and rebarrel to 6.5 and not interfere with the receiver . Since I have 2 .308 s converting one is a consideration.
Okay , a .308 can be converted to .260 , but not a 6.5 creedmore .

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
That is surprising since I was under the impression that the Creedmore is based on a shortened and improved .308 case.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sheridan5mm said:
That is surprising since I was under the impression that the Creedmore is based on a shortened and improved .308 case.
I got some misinformation , apparently its as simple as a barrel swap and headspace check on both .260 and the 6.5

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I just had a Remington Model 7 rebarreled to the 6.5 Creedmoor. It was perfect. I ran into a financial crisis and sold it as I never had plans to hunt with it. It is a sweetie! Any short action can be rebarreled to the Creedmoor! However, a .260 Remington Ackley Improved, even in a short action with the 120/125s will run with a 6.5/284! Much , much more killing power.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I don't have one my self but my brother in law bought one on my advice. H e is not a reloader but loved the rifle with factory ammo for years. Stopped using it several years ago and always reminds me I should have said to get a 7mm08 because of the almost $20.00 difference in the price of ammo. He also now only hunts in a shot gun, ML or pistol zone.

:) Al

·
Registered
693 Posts
i just added another one to my other .260,s. i have a remington 7600 pump,a browning low wall, a remington xp-100R and now a eary remington walnut stocked model 7 in .260. the load i use is varget and the 120gr-129gr bullets. eastbank.

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Eastbank, the 260 is a rare chambering in the browning low wall. I have one too along with a BLR I had rebarreled to 260. It's hard not to love the 260. ;)

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
pastorp said:
Eastbank, the 260 is a rare chambering in the browning low wall. I have one too along with a BLR I had rebarreled to 260. It's hard not to love the 260. ;)
Pastorp , Did you do the rebarrel yourself or send your rifle to a custom rifle builder? What is a ballpark figure on the cost ?

·
Registered
693 Posts
i have not been firing my .260 low wall to much as i have been shooting my xp-100R and now that i have the rem model 7 i,ll work up a load for that. i tried to find out how many lows were made in .260 but have not gotten any where. the serial number on my low wall is 16328NP371. eastbank.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
gr8ful said:
Pros: Accurate, flat shooting, low recoil, high BC bullets, fits in my Model 7, kills things very dead, cases can be formed from .308, .243, 7mm-08 etc.
Cons: factory ammo sometimes hard
What gr8ful said! ;D I've got two; a M7 and a M700 SA. I'd have 3 if Eastbank would trade me his 260 Low Wall for my 243 Low wall! ;) ;D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.