Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have a Contender or Encore in .270/.308? If so, where did you find load data for it. What bullets work best at the velocities obtained, on deer sized game?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a 15" .308 Win. I found load data for a .308 pistol on Hodgdon's site. I ended up getting my best accuracy with IMR4064 (not from Hodgdon, it's a low-end rifle load from IMR's data) and either Hornady SSTs or Nosler BSTs, both in 150 grain. I shot two feral goats with the SSTs and was not impressed with their performance. Other guys here have had really great luck with them though. I don't have any experience with the BSTs on game or with the .270 in a handgun.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got my info on the 308 outa the hodgdon manual but now that I am looking my Nosler #5 manual has loads in it also.... I would think you could use rifle info though too for it... the loads look the same in both manuals...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A clarification

I was refering to the cartridge known as the .270/.308 or the .270-08, a .308 Win necked to .270. Any info on that round to be had anywhere?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ooops oh I checked out my copy of RCBS load and it shows that the Ackley handbook for shooters and reloaders volume one has data but thats the only one as far as I can find out... oh and you can get it at https://www.eabco.com/Ackley01.htm hope that helps more than my last goof...

·
Registered
166 Posts
reddot, I believe the cartridge you are refering to is the 270 Redding. I think I have an article in an old Handloader magazine about it. I could look it up if you want. 8)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts