Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Congratulations! ;)

Yup. I don't care if it has antlers at all. They never see a taxidermist. I'm just putting meat in the freezer. ;D

The .270 was a Handi caliber that was far down on my list. I picked a used one up for a song a few years back. I really wanted to use the frame and sell the barrel. Made the mistake of taking it to the range. Now I have three! :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
illy_goat

Well done , don't know many people that eat the horns so you did good ;D I too love the 270 handi's , at one time i also had 3 barrels in that cal. , kept the best and traded the other 2 for barrels in cal. that i didn't have , all were MOA or better but the keeper was a 1/2 MOA . ;)

With the 90 grain Sierra's it makes a darn good varmint gun for long range grounghogs and yotes too .

stimpy

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats! What kind of bullets was you using? Got any pics? We love pics ;D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Congrats. Another meat hunter here. My wife says I can kill all the big bucks I want--just don't bring them home. We like tender venison that isn't hormoned up from the rut. We try to fill the freezer with does during archery and muzzleloading. Then if I get a big buck I give the meat away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doug said:
Congrats! What kind of bullets was you using? Got any pics? We love pics ;D
She seams to shoot the best slightly fouled. I am pretty basic when it comes to ammo so I just shoot federal power shoks in 150gr right off the shelf at walmart. I tried Remington KoreLokt and couldn't hold a good group. I can hold about 3/4" group off a rest plenty enough accuracy for me

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stimpylu32 said:
illy_goat

Well done , don't know many people that eat the horns so you did good ;D I too love the 270 handi's , at one time i also had 3 barrels in that cal. , kept the best and traded the other 2 for barrels in cal. that i didn't have , all were MOA or better but the keeper was a 1/2 MOA . ;)

With the 90 grain Sierra's it makes a darn good varmint gun for long range grounghogs and yotes too .

stimpy
Stimpy

When I was looking for a kinda all around caliber not too big but big enough the gun dealer here recommended the round. Shoots really flat with factory loads. Its 2 for 2. My first time out with it last year I took a buck @ 210 yards (my brother paced it out) laying on the ground. And this guy was @ 185yards standing in both instances the shot hit within 3/4 inch of my intended spot. I tend to shoot a little better off hand than at the bench (kinda odd but). Couple more weeks and we get to test my luck with My New Sidekick muzzleloader.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LHitchcox said:
Congrats. Another meat hunter here. My wife says I can kill all the big bucks I want--just don't bring them home. We like tender venison that isn't hormoned up from the rut. We try to fill the freezer with does during archery and muzzleloading. Then if I get a big buck I give the meat away.
I agree with yah there. I was denied for my doe tags this year in the area I hunt. In fact the past 2 years for the region here in NY I hunt. But have an antlerless tag for our muzzle loading season. So hopefully in a few weeks My New Sidekick will fill that tag. Thats the bad thing about filling your tag opening day kinda ends your season fast. But I squirrel and rabbit hunt too so makes a little time for that. On My brothers property the squirrel population is out of control. I shot 5, 2 weekends ago in my stand area and there where at least 6 back in that area the following weekend to entertain me while I sat for deer. Never seen so many tree rats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
EVOC said:
Congratulations! ;)

Yup. I don't care if it has antlers at all. They never see a taxidermist. I'm just putting meat in the freezer. ;D

The .270 was a Handi caliber that was far down on my list. I picked a used one up for a song a few years back. I really wanted to use the frame and sell the barrel. Made the mistake of taking it to the range. Now I have three! :eek:
This is my first true rifle. Most of the time being the youngest in my hunting party I get the honor of doing most of the pushing so I always carried a 12 guage slug gun in the thick stuff. It always served me well until I started hunting more fields a few years ago. In which the slug gun was worthless out past 60 yards unless I sighted in for 100 I I still didn't feal confident in making a humane shot with a shotgun slug from that distance. But boy did that slug gun cause some damage. I have only been deer hunting for 6 years 4 of which I hunted with a iron sighted rifled barrel NEF slug gun. To this day I am still more confident at close range with that gun.

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Man thats great illy_goat sounds like you got that 270 dailed in!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts