Graybeard Outdoors banner

270 v/s 270mag

5K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Smiley 
#1 ·
Is there a whole lot of differance between a regular 270 and a 270mag? ever one is telling me that a 300 mag is to much boom for deer so what about a 270 mag? how does a 270 mag stack up agenst a 7mag? thanx.

#2 ·
The 75-100 fps difference in velocity of the 150 grain bullet out of a 22" barrel vs. a 24" barrel translates to an insignificant difference in deer mortality at most normal ranges (i.e., less than 300 yards). The extra velocity certainly doesn't justify choosing the .270 WSM for a deer rifle.

I haven't shot the .270 WSM either, but I'm skeptical about any written reports that its kick would be close to that of the .270 in comparable rifles. Anyone with a little knowledge of basic physics can easily see that an extra 600 ft/lbs of energy in the same bullet is going to translate into significantly more reaction force, even considering that the magnum rifle will be somewhat heavier. Reducing the energy of the .270 even more with the actual 22" barrel vs. the 24" barrel that ballistics are calculated with will only increase this difference.

#3 ·
270 vs 270 wsm

as we speek if I was in the market for a QUALITY rifle I would be looking at the used market for a .270 and let the people that have to have the new stuff have at it, You can pick-up a good used rifle and achieve vary close results with the regular 270, Im sure there is some good to be had in the new caliber but the average hunter isnt going to be able notice it and the dead deer isnt going to tell anyone when he gets to deer heaven that he was killed by one of the OLD calibers. :D JIM

#4 ·
I have a Browning 270 WSM and took my first deer with it two weekends ago. About 350 yards holding dead on took him out.

There is much more to consider than the mortality factor of the 270 vs. 270 WSM. You will handle your weapon without shooting most of the time. When you get a shot at a deer you want the weapon to handle and operate with optimum proficiency. That is where the WSM wins the game. I have the stalker which weights about 6.5 pounds with a short action and 60 degree bolt throw with recoil about the same or maybe a little less than my old 270.

To me this would give the nod to the 270 WSM.

#5 ·
270 vs 270 mag

well I guess you guys see the evidence one dead deer so far from the new 270 now lets see the count from some of the old 270 cal shooters if you havent traded them all in yet. :) JIM

#6 ·
Glad to see someone is benefitting so much from the considerable expense of a new magnum caliber. Now that we have re-written the laws of physics and sighted our rifles to hit at 10" high at 100 yards, I'm going to pull on the old hip waders and go out and shoot a hog with my antique .270 before the male moose feces has a chance to add any more positive accumulation.

#7 ·
Wal now I reckon with these new improved and tougher deer we have nowadays those bullets from the .270 Win. will jist bounce rat off em. Of course back in the olden days when I was using the .270 Win. them deer just fell dead when I pulled the trigger. Don't rightly recall any ever needing a second shot but there might have been one somewhere in there. Now my oldest son Bobby hadn't heard about them new super .270s's being required and I reckon the deer he hunts haven't either as he has shot every deer he's killed with that .270 I gave him. That includes two bucks so far this season but them our season is just getting started good here in Bama.

Reckon folks what would rather sit back and shoot from a mile away might need all the velocity they can get. Folks who hunt and get inside 350 yards or so sure won't never see the difference on game.

GB

#8 ·
We are fighting the wrong fight here.

I hunted with a 270 for years. Love it and without question it's about tops for deer hunting. I think we are fighting on the wrong points on this issue. Think about how much time you spend in the field "hunting" with your weapon of choice. When you have the chance to actually fire at a target (game) you will take only a few seconds to do it (in most cases). The rest of the time you are holding the thing either stalking or hanging in a tree.

The fact that the 270 WSM can shoot a few hundred feet faster doesn't mean that much to me. What I see as the winner of this is the fact I can get a weapon that is shorter, lighter, quicker on repeat shots than the older framed 270. I'm not knocking the 270 because that would be stupid. The 270 has killed more deer than CWD will ever kill. My choice for the new 270 WSM for the feel and handling of this new caliber weapon.

I feel that it truly is an improvement on the 270 and hope to see it around for years. I just don't understand why everyone seems to question the value of the WSM line. Just think about it, are you telling me that if you could find a weapon that weighs 2 pounds, kills deer at 600 yards, and fits you like a glove you wouldn't buy one? I know the WSMs are not perfect but it does have some improvements in field use.

Just for those who seem to question my deer kill in my last post here is the facts. I have my weapon shooting 3 inches high at 125 yards. I do this because I'm hunting in a area where I have up to 600 + yard shot. When I shot the deer I held just at the top portion of the shoulder. The deer took the hit just below, slightly behind the left leg. Hitting ribs and both lungs and out the other side. Best I can tell the bullet hit about 6 inches low but I was able to put the cross hairs on the aninal at a distance of about 350 yards.

#10 ·
270 vs 270 mag or any caliber

First off I wasnt knocking anyones choice of caliber I do own mag. calibers I own over 40 centerfire rifles, the point I was trying to make was that the NEW magnum are not for everyone all situations dont call for them, as you should know. What I was trying to say was that their are a lot of good QUALITY rifles being put on the used market right now that can be had at real good prices if in the market for something and one of the new magnums wasnt really needed. I just bought off of a fellow a rem 700 BDL WITH 3X9 LEUPOLD VARI X 11 7mm mag the OLD mag. for $400.00 I dont need it but I can If needed part it out and make money on it but I wont it will go in the safe for one of the boys or son-in-laws or a guest to use. :D JIM

#11 ·
Tommyboy,
I don't know alot about the Weatherby mags. I do know that ammo is expensive and difficult to find for them. Ammo is expensive for the short mags but you can find it at wally world. I reload so price is cheap for me or it will be soon as I start loading for it. I'm shooting factory until I have time to find a load...after deer season.

jhm, you have a good point and I agree with you. I'm just trying to let everyone know that fighing over WHY someone would want a WSM because it doesn't shoot that much different isn't why I bought one. Yes, it's a mag and that was one reason I liked it but it was a multitude of things that turned me on to the 270 WSM.

I will admit one thing though. I have more guns than I should (at least that is what my wife says) and quite a few mags. I pulled out of the safe the first Abolt I ever bought. It was a sweet little 7mm-08 Micro Medallion and I think I'm going to start using it again. I just love those little guns.

#13 ·
I talked to a deer yesterday that was shot with both the 270 Win and the 270 WSM. He told me that the WSM stung him a little bit more, but other than that he couldn't tell the difference. The poor fella was lung shot and his tending doctor, Dr. Whitetail, did a buckscan (which is similar to a catscan, but for bucks) and noticed that the bullet from the 270 WSM did the same amount of damage as the regular 270.

Zachary

#14 ·
By some of the thought processes here we should all go back to the 30 cal carbine, 30/30 or 6mm, they've all taken deer and at one time were considered the most you needed to carry. And they kicked a lot less than the 270 or any magnum. They all have a place, we all have our favorites, and some folks still like hunting with their old favorite. Places like IL you don't have the choice it's a matter of 12 or 20 gauge? And a 1 oz slug at up to 1900fps from a 3" shell kicks like a mule (although I've never actually been kicked by a mule...) We can probably reach contested agreement that by today's standards the .243 or 6mm remington are about as low as you want to go on the energy scale for small to medium sized whitetail inside 150 yards, but the top end??? I know a 385 grain sabot from a 12 gauge will literally scramble the heart and lungs of a deer at 40 yards and blow through the shoulder bone and still keep moving definitely more firepower than I needed, but it's what I had in my hand at the time. And the quick work it made of the first deer allowed me to take the second before it knew what was going on. Overkill is only overkill if you spoil extra meat. As long as you're comfortable shooting it, take the gun you like.
Helicopter Bill

#15 ·
I always wanted one of those Weatherby .270 mags. but could not afford it. So I keep on killing bucks with a .270 Win. I bought a 7mm Remington Mag. years ago and developed handloads for it that far out paced the .270 Winchester. So what have I done the following 25 hunting seasons. I leave the 7 Mag. home and take a .270 Win. I do not see much difference between the .270 Mag and 7 mm Mag in the lighter bullet wts.

Do I need a .270 Mag. No! Do I want one, darn, rights! Will I buy one, No!

#16 ·
like has been said...

you cant kill a deer any deader than a 270 will. when considering a new magnum caliber, ask yourself if it offers any practical advantage and if you really need it. the answer with the 270 is a loud NO! look at where you will be able to get ammo, and how much brass is going to cost you ( i get all of my 270 brass for free at the range, i'll bet you wont find any 270wsm brass laying around for the pickings ). and as far as flat trajectory goes, how much flatter than the 270 do you need? i am 3" high at 100 yds and good for dead on hold out to 320. i have NEVER shot at a deer over 250. btw, that deer dropped in its tracks. to me, the new magnums are for people who have alot more money than i do; and i will wager that me and my 270 will give anyone of them a run for their money. but hey, its just me talking...

#18 ·
270's

Some prefer the old reliable and some will want the next new thing. Fact is, since I do not own a 270 and I wanted to purchase a gun that caliber then why wouldn't I buy the 270 wsm? Yes it has excess power that not's really needed, but then all you really need to hunt deer in S.C. is a 243. So now even the 270 Win has excess power. So when I drop my money on the table I want the most for it, in this case velocity is the ticket. And you are right the deer won't know the difference, dead is dead. So why pay for less?

#19 ·
.270 WCF vs. .270 WSM

For just about any reasonable range they are both equal to the task. The WSM may get the nod on paper but deer can't read but then again that may explain why they don't follow the hunting rules of being where they are suppose to be when I'm in the woods...It isn't a question of which is better but "Why not?". If that isn't the case, then we all should be using 94 thutty thurty's. High velocity equals recoil plain and simple. A 7 MM WSM in a 6 1/5 23" brl rifle kicked no different than my 7 RM's. Slick advertising on recoil and ballistics. They quote 24" barrels but you can't get one in factory for most part. My 7 RM in Ruger No. 1 with 26" barrel stays with any 7 MM WSM. My Sendero 300 WM with 26" barrel does same as 300 WSM. So it is heavier...more stable, full bedding block, kevlar stock all add up to one **** of an accurate rifle. The 300 WSM I shot came off the bag like rattler strike. Whatever floats you boat. ****, my first rifle was a .270 WCF Savage 110 35 years ago. Wouldn't trade that rifle for nothin. Shoots better than I can. Bottom line, if you like it go for it but is it better....resounding no but that is still OK. Have fun shooting.
Muddyboots

#20 ·
two ways to look at it

And you should see both before you buy. if you are only ging to hunt deer and small black bear and such then the 270 or 30-06 case is fine. Heck I like the 7-08 it will do ANYTHING these 30-06 and 270s will for deer.

The real question is this Do you want a "ONE" gun does it all thing?
Are you planning on long range hunting in the future? are you going to hunt bigger game?
are you willing to learn how to shoot a magnum?

If you are then the real story is the other way for you.
A 300 or 7mm mag will do EVERYTHING a 270 or 30-06 will and a LOOOOOT more.
Some don't like recoil
Some just dont book hunts that are for LONG range shooting
Some don't shoot big game.
My Son wanted a 7Mag he hated the recoil. Had Brown install a muzzle brake and now this Kid dont miss Nothun.
I have never been a fan of Forcing someone into my opinion.
Look at the varibles and make up your OWN mind
you got a lot of answers here.

tom

#21 ·
I've taken many deer with the 270 out to 250 yards. This last year i picked up a 270 WSM in win light 70 rifle. It shoots great. It will out shoot the sandard. It feels fast when you shoot it. I took a white tail and a mulie last year at 150 and 350. Dropped on the spot. Hold dead on, shoots flat. I also shoot the 30 06 and the 300 mag. The 300 mag is the best. Just perfect for deer and elk. The 7mm for me and many is border line elk gun and overrated deer gun, to much kick and noise for what you get. The 300 will out shoot it with the right shooter. The 270WSM is the best thing that has come along in 30 years. Oh yea I load for all of them you can get some fantastic loads on the 270 and 270 WSM.. :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.