Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a few questions about the 270. I might be getting one soon. How do the 270s shoot? I havent seen alot about the 270. If you have one, how does it shoot? I am wanting it for deer hunting. I dont care if it will put 3 shots in a 1 inch group, i just wanna be able to hit a 2 inch target the first shot every time. O ya, what kind of bullets shoots the best out of yours if you have one? And what kind of scope mounts do i need to clear the hammer?

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
The 270 is a great flat shooting round. It has killed many deer. You won't know how yours shoots till you shoot it. That is the same with all rifles. The question I have is you want to hit a 2'' target every time. Well how far is this target? It is pretty easy at 50 yards but a lot harder at 300 yards. The only way you are going to hit a 2'' target at any range is a lot of practice. I am sure your new 270 will shoot just fine. If it don't there are people here to tell you what to try to get it to shoot. Dale

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The distance i will be shooting will probley be under 100 yards. I will most likely be shooting at about 15 to 60 yards. Thanks for the fast reply Dale.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
I see no problem for you whats so ever. Good luck to you. Dale

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I haven't heard of many 270 Handis that were lemons.
But if I may, if you are going to be shooting at 15 - 60yards you probably find the velocities of the 270 doing a lot of meat damage on deer. No doubt kill it, but messy non the less. Perhaps a lower velocity cartridge like a 30-30 or even a 357?
Just something to think about.

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Doug- we have two .270 rifles and the kids and I argue over who is carrying which one. There was an outdoor writer for outdoor life back a dozen plus years ago that wrote tons on the .270 I believe his name was Jack o'conner or something like that. I have used the gun a lot and love the 130 grain speer, or barnes x bullet, but now also use the 130 ballistic tip. The ballistic wastes some meat but puts a deer sized animal down quick. Just keep it in the lungs. As all have said here you need to try the gun, when I got my first one it had a head space issue and wouldn't shoot dime groups no matter what load I tried. After getting that corrected it shoots better than I can hold it. It drives tacks off sandbags, Just work up a load that it likes and you just may have a favorite new rifle. My daughter shoots deer out to 250 yds with very little hold over. It can be quite destructive with the light bullets at high volocity. Some shoot heavier bullets -slower- without the issue, but I like the flatter option so go light and fast for better long shots. You will just have to try the gun and see what you like. And the .270 can be loaded with a barnes or a partition for some bigger game. My dad killed elk with his.

Take care, Brent

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I have three .270's and have shot two of them. Both fall into the category as being "accurate out of the box without any modifications".

They routinely shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with factory 130 grain ammo. The first, a synthetic model, likes Winchester Power Points.
The other, with laminated wood, likes Federal Power Shok's.

As Dale said, it's hard to tell how any particular rifle will shoot until its tested. :)

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I have 3 deer so far this year with a 270. Not a Handi though. Been shooting the Winchester "silver box" 130gr. All three deer were DRT. All shot through the ribs. Ranges between 60 and 175 yards.

The bullet is too destructive for me. The last was hit a little bit forward, through the back edge of the shoulder, I lost about 1/3 of the meat on both shoulders, the ribs on both sides, and had bloodshot meat all the way up into the neck. This deer was shot at 60 yards.

I agree with Aaron, and am going back to my 30-30 for the rest of the season, although I do want to try some of the 150gr .270 bullets.

I bought the .270 because I thought I would have shots out past 250 yards this year.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
For 15 to 70 yards have you thought about a shotgun with slugs? A smoothbore would work great at those ranges. A shotgun would be very light to carry, a 20 would lessen the recoil, and a smoothbore would be very cheap to shoot. It don't get much better than that. H&R/NEF's can be had rifled or smoothbore, with iron sights and it's a very simple matter to get a 20 gauge drilled and tapped for a scope....<><....:)

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I agree with everyone that the .270 is extreme if you are only going to shoot 100 yards or less. A .30-30 is as deadly as anything at that range.

alan

·
Registered
260 Posts
MSP said:
For 15 to 70 yards have you thought about a shotgun with slugs? A smoothbore would work great at those ranges. A shotgun would be very light to carry, a 20 would lessen the recoil, and a smoothbore would be very cheap to shoot. It don't get much better than that. H&R/NEF's can be had rifled or smoothbore, with iron sights and it's a very simple matter to get a 20 gauge drilled and tapped for a scope....<><....:)
Over time I have concluded that you and I think much a like ;)

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Thanks Bill, coming from a nice guy like you that is a compliment, carry on buddy....<><....:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
my .270 handi likes 150 gr hornady interlocks & reloader22, i've shot 2 deer this year. both were bang flops. both shots were under 100 yds...i love my handi .

·
Registered
414 Posts
My .270 Handi shot well, About 1" groups Most of the time. And I believe the .270 to be The Deer caliber with 130 grain bullets.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i already have a marlin 30-30 and thats what i use for deer hunting, but i want something different just to have a long range gun just in case. I really want a handi too.

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I dont plan to get rid of my 270, unless maybe I trade for a 25-06, thats what I really wanted.
Please don't take what I said as a slam againstthe 270, I think it will come into its own on the far side of 200yds.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Just shoot the heavier bullets in the 270 and they won't be so destructive, 150gr are slower and built a bit better so they won't be so explosive at close range. ;) My 270 Ultracomp shoots handloaded Nosler 150gr partitions ~1" at 100yds. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
If you want less destruction at close ranges with your 270 try federals 145gr reduced recoil loads. They should be much less destructive up close, and then you could use full power 130gr silvertips when you expect longer range shots. Good luck

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Just shoot the heavier bullets in the 270 and they won't be so destructive, 150gr are slower and built a bit better so they won't be so explosive at close range. ;) My 270 Ultracomp shoots handloaded Nosler 150gr partitions ~1" at 100yds. ;)

Tim
You can even load up some of the heavy 160 grain Partitions at 2400-2800 FPS as well...should make an excellent up close round ;)

Mac

1 - 20 of 28 Posts