Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot this one this afternoon with my 10" 357 Max. The shot was a spineshot high in the shoulder. He dropped, but even with massive damage in the chest cavity he didn't die. I finished him off with the new 280 Handi.[/color] I'm sure he would've died shortly but I didn't want him suffering. If you look at the first pic you can see the left antler dropped down like a cape buffalos horn. It was damaged while in velvet and when I went to pull him by that side it tore off along with a silver dollar size chunk of skull. I probably did him a favor because I bet he had a headache from the broken skull. I always carry a rifle with me because in lowlight it's hard to find an animal in a pistola scope!

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
Looks like a good deer to cull from the herd! Good shooting, enjoy the steaks.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Looks like vittles.
What bullet and how fast you pushing it? How far out was the shot? Did you get a pass thru?

Sorry for all the questions. I have a Contender Maxi Super 14, I am going to carry this year. 8)

Thanks
Lonny

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm shooting the 180 XTP at over 1600fps. I havn't chrono'd this particular load, but that's about what it should be anyway. It's not hot at all...I should probably be loading them a little faster but it's a very accurate load. The Max bullet was destroyed when it hit the spine and it frag'd everywhere. Bullet from the 280 was probably in the ground, I know it passed through and blew a big hole outta the neck coming out the other side. Like I said I am shocked that he needed to be finished off. Just shows you how tough those harmless little deer can be. Shot was under 20 yards...probably more like 10-12. And not to self...always make sure the muzzle of pistol is past the flap of the window or you blow a 6 inch hole in your blind from the muzzle-blast.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Thanks for the info.

And not to self...always make sure the muzzle of pistol is past the flap of the window or you blow a 6 inch hole in your blind from the muzzle-blast
OOPS LOL

Lonny

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.