Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
dad was a gunsmith, got lots of toys
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i was talking to dale about spotty coverage on birch.
he said he often tints the varnish as well, and uses it as a shader for more complete coverage.
the green he tried first and sanded off, was a dye, not a stain.

· Registered
4,442 Posts
Thanks Joe. I sometimes add stain to the finish coats on wood that is hard to stain.

Sometimes I'll get a real dark grainy wood that has small black marks all throughout after applying stain to the bare wood. I usually sand and start over with a clear seal coat and then apply afew tinted finish coats to color the wood when this happens.

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
u can try more coats, of a slightly lighter color, to build up to your desired color.
let them sit on longer, and soak in deeper, lightly scuff between coats.
in the end end, u up with a similar color, but with more even coverage.
its more work, and more cost though.

keep trying different ways to lay, and different products, u will find what works sooner or later.

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
its extra dark to hide the laminate forend, not matching the birch butt stock. otherwise, it would have been a bit lighter. looks good though

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
on a side note, im meeting my my oldest friend today for lunch. we all call him Fatt Matt. his sister and my sister were best friends, so by default we became best friends. hes a big dude, and a true badass! he always looked out for me growing up.

aint seen him since November. he's been shooting with me since we were about 8 or 10. he dont hunt, and he's not a gun collector, but he owns a couple.

his lovely daughter gave him a heritage rough rider for fathers day, he was so happy, and excited! I thought he was gonna cry when he showed it to me! I decided he needed a rifle to match it! im gonna give it to him today.

I acquired a very clean early 80s vintage, stevens 989 semi auto 22lr. basically the same as a savage 64.

I mounted a Simmons 22mag 3-9x32 on top, and bore sighted it. it comes with a small ammo box, and a large supply of ammo.
I put in in one of my dads old rifle cases, thats seen better days. im sure he will b surprised!

then were are gonna grab a burger and a brew. should b a special day for us!

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I traded my savage 64f, to dale, to aquire this stevens 989, and the Simmons 3x9 off his hunting rifle. the savage is a target model, bull barrel, with a early 70s vintage leupold 4x on it. the savage is spotless, dale really likes it. he made out quite well in this trade!

the stevens 989 is going to Fatt Matt.
he likely wont shoot it alot, but it has a nice wood stock, the smmons is a late 80s vintage, and is clean and clear.
i always prefer a variable power scope
im sure he will enjoy it, and he can shoot it in his yard, along side his rough rider.

this plan gave me an excuse, to buy myself the new 10/22 I always wanted. it should be coming together soon. part of the deal is dale is refinishing a wood 10/22 stock for it, so it should look spectacular.

my 2 best friends get new toys to enjoy, and I get the 22 i always wanted.

WIN,WIN,WIN!

· Premium Member
70 Posts
Now that's a great looking stock. Having the grain prominent makes a big difference to a wood lover and yours is beautiful.
Thanks that stock is a Sears JC Higgins Auto safe single shot 22lr it is made by Marlin actually and the grain on the stock is the only reason I bought it and I looked it up and it said when new the average price was $13-$16 range and they used that kind of wood back in the good old days on a cheap 22lr and now you would have to pay a premium for wood like that

· Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I met with Matt today. we grabbed lunch, and a couple drinks. I gave him his new 22lr rifle, and showed him the basics of how it works.
he got a small harbor freight ammo box,
and 500 rounds of armscor, high velocity 22lr.
he was very surprised, and quite happy.
I got a big hug, we both got a bit misty.
what a great day!

sometimes blessing others, blesses us.

· Registered
257 Posts
on a side note, im meeting my my oldest friend today for lunch. we all call him Fatt Matt. his sister and my sister were best friends, so by default we became best friends. hes a big dude, and a true badass! he always looked out for me growing up.

aint seen him since November. he's been shooting with me since we were about 8 or 10. he dont hunt, and he's not a gun collector, but he owns a couple.

his lovely daughter gave him a heritage rough rider for fathers day, he was so happy, and excited! I thought he was gonna cry when he showed it to me! I decided he needed a rifle to match it! im gonna give it to him today.

I acquired a very clean early 80s vintage, stevens 989 semi auto 22lr. basically the same as a savage 64.

I mounted a Simmons 22mag 3-9x32 on top, and bore sighted it. it comes with a small ammo box, and a large supply of ammo.
I put in in one of my dads old rifle cases, thats seen better days. im sure he will b surprised!

then were are gonna grab a burger and a brew. should b a special day for us!
You are a good man Joe jeep!

· Registered
433 Posts
Really Nice job on the stocks. Over the years I have refinished a few rifle stocks and or furniture I built (basic stuff). Pic is a 1917, I got from a close friend and I think the stock is a Fajen. Refinished it with 8 hand rubbed coats of a mix of Watco Teak Oil and Formby's tung oil (has polyurethane in it). Last sanding was with 800 grit Wet/Dry. Stain, If I use it, its Laurel Mountain Forge stains. Unfortunately the 1917 was stolen.
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
257 Posts
Really Nice job on the stocks. Over the years I have refinished a few rifle stocks and or furniture I built (basic stuff). Pic is a 1917, I got from a close friend and I think the stock is a Fajen. Refinished it with 8 hand rubbed coats of a mix of Watco Teak Oil and Formby's tung oil (has polyurethane in it). Last sanding was with 800 grit Wet/Dry. Stain, If I use it, its Laurel Mountain Forge stains. Unfortunately the 1917 was stolen. View attachment 265170
Very nice job, Oki. Much better than factory.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts