Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started loading for my Handi 30 06. To find oal I sized part of the neck on a case and placed a bullet in the case. Then gently put round into rifle, pushed in chamber until action closed. Took round out and measured oal.WOW, measurement was way longer than any other 30 06 that I have dealt with. I know that oal is dependent on action type. I deducted .008 thou to get bullet off rifling and ended up with an oal of 3.416 in. I still have what I think is plenty of case bullet interference. Using Speer grand slam 180 gr.
Is this oal in the area of other hand loaders? Can anyone tell me what their oal is in their 30 06 Handi reloads?
Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Not sure about a Handi but just finished working on a Encore rifle. I pressed a bullet into the lands(with a finger) then dropped a wood dowel down the bore and marked dowel at muzzle, then got another mark with chamber empty,action closed. Measurement between the marks minus .040 equaled 3.3" in that rifle. :eek:

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
H&R's have been know to be 'long throated', as well as Weatherby's (it lowers pressures). It doesnt matter what others have found, only what your gun wants. The only reasons for an OAL dimension in book data is to keep a bullet in the case (One RoT is one bullet dia. is sufficient) and the rounds to function through repeater rifle actions. A single shot does not care.

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
What Crank said, both of my 30-06 H&Rs have long throats, COL of the 200gr Nosler Partition to just off lands is 3.383", but the 165gr Nosler BT is 3.445"!! :eek: Nosler lists the 165gr as 3.340".

Tim

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Hello!
As you likely know its gonna change with different profiles on the ogive of the bullet. But as the guys say, H&R have long throats usually. :)

I like to seat them as long as the throat allows as long as bullet dia remains in the case. (just rule of thumb) ,250 in the case is another rule of thumb. :) Its not as much a worry in the handi as dureability of the cartridage isn't a concern as it would be in a auto loader for example.

Shoot them and see what you get, your barrel will tell you what it likes. 8) 8) 8)

CW

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
I use .200"-.250"(shank, not including boattail) minimum seating depth. I usually use a Lee Factory die when I can on rifle chamberings when seating shallow like that, always results in an accurate load.

Tim

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all of the info. Loaded some 180 gr ttsx bt this morning for my braked 30 06. Barnes recomends .050 off lands. Even with extra seating depth they were awful front heavy but gave 3 shots touching at 50 yds. This Handi is very heat sensitive and had to let barrel cool 5-10 minutes between shots to be able to get this group. Oh well more shooting is in order :D :D :D .
Don't see any better accuracy than what I have been getting with much cheaper Speer 180 gr rn and don't have to wait as long between shots. The Speers seam to group with a hotter barrel.
Thanks again
Rick

·
Super Moderator
51,500 Posts
No problems with heat from my Ultracomp and the 200gr Nosler Partitions, group shot from 100yds, only modification was just an O-ring on the forend stud, its works surprisingly well for no more effort than is required. 8)

Tim

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts