Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given a choice between a 30-06 and a 7mm Mag, which caliber would you choose and why?

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
I would take a 300 Win Mag over both if I had to choose. But given the choice, the 06 is a great round and can do anything the 7mm Mag can do. Ammo more available also. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
.30/'06. Tremendous flexibility, readily available ammo, and it lets you fire a much heavier bullet... accurately.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 30-06 because of what Jimi said. I have 20 rifles in the safe right now and the last one to go would be my .06. :-D

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
TexasNimrod said:
Given a choice between a 30-06 and a 7mm Mag, which caliber would you choose and why?
Both are great in their own respects but the question brings up another question. What do you plan on using either for? Lawdog
:D

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
I did not think of asking that question Lawdog. :D

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
30.06. No need for a Magnum......

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
.30-06, and I don't see any need to explain why!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hmmm. Rather than a .30-06 I would choose a .280 Rem. - Shoots flatter, kicks less, close to the same energy. And then I would choose a .300 Mag. over a 7mm Mag - More energy, heavier bullet choices. So, then the question would be... Which would you choose, a .280 or a .300 mag. But then, that's not what you asked, is it... :grin:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most definately a 30-06. It will shoot flat enough to cover the abilities of 98% of all hunters and, as was said above, will deliver a heavier, wider bullet. It can be loaded up to be very close to the 7mm energy-wise. I'm one of those who thinks all MEANINGFUL rifle cartridge development ended in 1906. Well, maybe 1912 with the 375 H&H magnum, which has a belt for a legitimate reason.

The "7 mag" is great for the guy who can use a 400 yard cartidge, but if most guys were honest about it, they would admit they don't.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
Mauser said:
Most definately a 30-06. It will shoot flat enough to cover the abilities of 98% of all hunters and, as was said above, will deliver a heavier, wider bullet. It can be loaded up to be very close to the 7mm energy-wise. I'm one of those who thinks all MEANINGFUL rifle cartridge development ended in 1906. Well, maybe 1912 with the 375 H&H magnum, which has a belt for a legitimate reason.

The "7 mag" is great for the guy who can use a 400 yard cartidge, but if most guys were honest about it, they would admit they don't.

You 06 guys kill me. :-D :-D

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
No doubt the 30-06.
The reason: It can handle all types of loads and take most anything you want to shot. I got one. Had it for over 50 years. Treat-um right and they will last.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I had a 30-06 and a 7MM Mag. My son-in-law now has the 06 and I still have the 7MM Mag. He got the best deal!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Here in montana a 400 yard shot is a fact of life,me and my father bolth shoot 7 Mags,he has since they came out.The -06 is a great round and that is what i started hunting with but the probability of longrange shots on large game here makes the question a no-brainer...7MAG!!! :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lawdog,
I have a 7mm Rem Mag in the safe that only takes trips to the rifle range. I use a 270 or a 7x57. I always thought that if this 7mm Mag had been a 30-06, I might use it more. I only hunt deer and feral hogs here in Texas. Just wanted to know what most of the guys thought.

·
Registered
66 Posts
30-06! If you are worried about energy and long shots go with the 300WM. There is not hardly any difference in recoil out of the guns I have owned. My 06 kicks worse than my 300 due to weight. Either will get the job done though.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
HYPE? Every extra foot pound that bullet delivers makes a BIG difference at that kind of distance.
Whatever you say, but IME 250 fpe makes no difference at distances shorter than 400 yards, and 1700 fpe is ample for deer-sized game. I guess in order to die, deer must require more killing energy at 400 yards than they do at 250 yards...that's about all that would explain your experiences shooting all those deer at 400 yards. and remember:
Most hunters would never see a difference in the field using similar quality bullets.
:D

1 - 20 of 66 Posts