Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am considering having my 30-30 converted to 30-30 AI

I have read on several post that if you convert your gun to 30-30AI you can still use regular 30-30 ammo in the gun. If that is true, will regular 30-30 ammo shoot accurately out of a 30-30 AI. To me it would not, can someone help me on this issue?

Also can some one give me a few good gunsmiths names and number that could do this conversion correctly. Lately, I have had no luck with gunsmiths.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Rodney
Yes, you can shoot regular 30-30 ammo in the 30-30AI chamber, in fact
I do to fireform my ammo. I can not say that the factory ammo will be
accurate in all AI chambers, but most people who have done this get
good results. I have an AI barrel for my Contender & so does big brother.
I load for both of these. These guns will group 1-1/2" at 100 yards with Win. factory loads, but a little better with Nos BT AI reloads.
Expect to lose a little velocity with factory fireforming loads but also expect a very good boost with AI handloads. I am getting 2,400 FPS with
these 150 grain BT loads in the 14" barrel! This is a good Ackley Round.
Enjoy! :D

Rod Smith

·
Registered
24,772 Posts
Is it relatively easy to do this rechambering or reaming yourself? I think the reamers and headspace guages are available from Brownells. I don't know but I'm looking for a marlin 30-30 to do the same thing to.

.............................TM7

·
Registered
7 Posts
TM7 said:
Is it relatively easy to do this rechambering or reaming yourself? I think the reamers and headspace guages are available from Brownells. I don't know but I'm looking for a marlin 30-30 to do the same thing to.

.............................TM7
I don't know how hard it would be to do yourself, but do know that you can't just cut the AI chamber in the factory chamber without setting the barrel back some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts