Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nosler list 2.55 col using this bullet with the pistol. My handi is measuring 2.81 with it. Loaded it at 2.77. I know I have the same thing with my handi 243 and others have said the same. Does anyone else have an extra long col on there 30-30? If so have you found best acc using manufacture depths or getting close as you can to the lands?

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Cannot answer on .30-30 exactly, but I now the same has happened with other typically FP loads that one can suddenly make spire points in a single. My COL is typically based on setting back 2-10 thousandths off the lands. I have had one gun that really liked it just touching, although you have to watch pressure spikes. My 7.5x55 swiss doesn't seem to mind a small jump. Just depends on the gun which it'll like. Just remember not to let someone else use any of your ammo, (pretty much a bad idea anyway), though if it's not per spec. ;)

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I use 150 Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 30-30. I split one side of the case neck, stuck a bullet in the case, let the lands push the bullet back in the case. I set mine about .010 short and gave it a try. With 36 grs. LVR I'm getting 2300 with groups under 2" which is good enough for my use.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
If you don't keep at least the bullet diameter seated in the case, the runout is probably going to be so bad it won't shoot worth a hoot anyhow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.