Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how well will a tasco red dot work on a handi rifle , want to use to deer hunt , WILL it stay lined up ?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I had a Truglo redot on my 500S&W and I didn't shake it off with it. My redot has no magnification just a dot. I was pleased with it but I can't see as well as I once did so I put a Nikon 2x7 prostaff on . 26-t

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts
red dot is the fastest thing

keep both eyes open

they are great in;

bad light
fast moving targets
short to medium range

if you dont keep both eyes open
you are missing what they are about
learn to use it with both eyes open

you can even tape over the front of the red dot
and hit targets on the range with eze if you shoot quick
shoot slow and you eye will loose alignment
do this for practice

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I have used red dots on several rifles and handguns. Zero problems, just great results. But make sure you have a spare FRESH battery.

OH, and please make sure electronic red dot type sights are legal for deer hunting in your state. it isn't legal everywhere from my understanding.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I've had a cheap red-dot on my Huntsman for 3 seasons now. It works fine... but it is not good in low light. Early in the morning and late in the day the dot seems to create glare inside the sight making it difficult to use. I could probably gain shooting time with open sights. I would think with a better red-dot this wouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
c1skout said:
I've had a cheap red-dot on my Huntsman for 3 seasons now. It works fine... but it is not good in low light. Early in the morning and late in the day the dot seems to create glare inside the sight making it difficult to use. I could probably gain shooting time with open sights. I would think with a better red-dot this wouldn't be an issue.
That's funny, my TruGlo and A1 Optics seem best in low light or darkness. It seems the lower settings work better in low light.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I had a Tasco red dot mounted on my Ithaca 37 12 ga. Used it for years. Killed a few deer with it. One year just before the season i look in the scope. No little red dot. Never did figure out where the dot went. Put a Bushnell red dot on. That lasted one season.
bobg

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Otony said:
I have used red dots on several rifles and handguns. Zero problems, just great results. But make sure you have a spare FRESH battery.

OH, and please make sure electronic red dot type sights are legal for deer hunting in your state. it isn't legal everywhere from my understanding.
Sure it will work, and it will likely work really well. One thing and its a BIG ONE, if you in colder climates, take Otony's advice!! Cold kills these little batteries, esp if you have them on all day while hunting!!!

CW

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I'd repeat all the above advise. Keep spare battery(s) with you. Many people complain about this type of sight because they can't see through them. You don't have to...you just have to see the dot. One eye see's the target, the other see's the dot, and God's greatest creation puts both images together and you get a hit.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I've had a BSA red dot on my mossy 835 since I bought it in 2003 Shooting 3 1/2" fedral #5 turkey loads Zero problems. Just put a Tru Glo 2X red dot on a recently aquired Tracker II 20 ga. yesterday was The 1st day of shotgun season here in N.Y. and it put a doe in my freezer at 70 yards. As stated carry an extra battery.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
The batteries are not a problem at all. I bought 20 of them on ebay for 5.49 free shipping. I keep the package in my fanny pack, and check the rifle in the field. These are the same batteries that are in my lighted reticle scopes and my two LED cap lights which is very convenient. The hardest thing is to remember to turn them off.

Pete

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I had one on 2 45-70 rifles that I used to own, and they always filled my tags if I did my part. I have also seen some that could turn from red to green which work well for differant lighting options. I don't think you will go wrong with one, as long as you keep both eyes open and realize there is no magnification. Zero yours for your known shooting distances such as 100 yards, then practice at lesser shooting distances, because there are always shorter range shots to be taken in the woods.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
If ya need a little help seein', TruGlo has a red-dot that is 2 power. I have one on my 444 Handy and it takes a lickin' and keeps on a tickin'. They are bigger than some of the others, but not a real problem. DP

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the great info guys , sounds like this set up should work great. FBC

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
If you can spend the coin, Aimpoint brand has models that can last for 10,000 hour or so.
I have four different AIM-POINT dots.. None will last that long when subjected to cold weather and constant on scenarios.
The Comp C on my Walther OSP had the same battery for almost four years. Its only used for Bullseye competition and shot 1-2 times a week year round. My 5000S on my Benelli MP95 is on is orig battery from more than 5 years ago!!! Its also only use for bullseye competitions. I have another 5000 this one is a Long and its on a 45/70. I go thru at least a set every season I use it. Lastly my wife's Turkey shotgun has a Aimpoint 3000L and hers is a bit better, but even this one needs a couple sets of batts a year. Used for spring turkey, fall deer and turkey shoots on Sundays.

Done get me wrong, I love the aim points, but when you combine cold temps and long "ON" times. They all eat batteries quickly. IMHO the cold makes the difference.

CW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts