Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can shoot factory jacketed loads for big game.
130 gr jacketed for medium game.
Cast for economical practice.
Round lead ball sized 311 over 5 grains of unique for a small game load.

All a guy needs in most of the USA.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Agree, Just wish I that much self control

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
some day, i would like to add a 30-30 barrel to my H&R...unfortunately...now is not the time.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You do not even need the $$ jacketed $$ heathen bullets. 30-30 can run full tilt on gas checked cast bullets made in your garage for CHEAP. My favorite 30-30 is an early Walnut stocked Rem 788, but it has some "siblings".

Reactions: Eddystone 30-06

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
some day, i would like to add a 30-30 barrel to my H&R...unfortunately...now is not the time.
You wouldn't regret one. Mines a shooter, especially with 170 gr core lokts.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You all sound like Calvin Rutstrum! In one of his books, and I don't remember which one ("The New Way of the Wilderness" maybe?), he said that the only rifle worth carrying out back of beyond was a lever action .30-30. I agree with that except that some states have this silly rule requiring straight cartridges....

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
You all sound like Calvin Rutstrum! In one of his books, and I don't remember which one ("The New Way of the Wilderness" maybe?), he said that the only rifle worth carrying out back of beyond was a lever action .30-30. I agree with that except that some states have this silly rule requiring straight cartridges....

Could you post some of your cast loads?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I started hunting with a 30-06 in Colorado, when I joined the Army they stationed me at Ft Bragg NC., and right away I knew an 06 was way over kill. I asked around and most said 30-30 was the caliber to have so I purchased a Win 30-30. At first it did well, as most of my hunting was less than 100 yards. But when I was allowed to hunt private land out In Lumberton, NC., I found that the heavy 30-30 dropped way too much at ranges out beyond 150 yards. After missing my first deer which I estimate was at 150 yards, I started researching for a better round. This is pre WWW, so gun magazines, books, and word of mouth was the only way to do it. I narrowed it down to either the 7mm, or 270 win, and went looking at the pawnshops. I happened to be in Jim's Pawnshop just outside of Ft Bragg when a delivery came in of Winchester Ranger models in 270 win, and just so happened to be right in my budget. After zeroing my very next round dropped a 7-point 170 lb buck at around 200 yards or so. For 20 years or so that rifle was the only thing I used, except when hunting shotgun only areas or or black powder season. Now I have added 308 to the rotation and will try a 44 mag pistol too, but if I had to revert back to just one, I would go choose 270 Win.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I agree that the 30-30 is a good choice for all hunting in NA if you pick your ammo, and distance correctly. Its taken pretty much all game animals one can hunt.

I started hunting with a 30-06 in Colorado, when I joined the Army they stationed me at Ft Bragg NC., and right away I knew an 06 was way over kill. I asked around and most said 30-30 was the caliber to have so I purchased a Win 30-30. At first it did well, as most of my hunting was less than 100 yards. But when I was allowed to hunt private land out In Lumberton, NC., I found that the heavy 30-30 dropped way too much at ranges out beyond 150 yards. After missing my first deer which I estimate was at 150 yards, I started researching for a better round. This is pre WWW, so gun magazines, books, and word of mouth was the only way to do it. I narrowed it down to either the 7mm, or 270 win, and went looking at the pawnshops. I happened to be in Jim's Pawnshop just outside of Ft Bragg when a delivery came in of Winchester Ranger models in 270 win, and just so happened to be right in my budget. After zeroing my very next round dropped a 7-point 170 lb buck at around 200 yards or so. For 20 years or so that rifle was the only thing I used, except when hunting shotgun only areas or or black powder season. Now I have added 308 to the rotation and will try a 44 mag pistol too, but if I had to revert back to just one, I would go choose 270 Win.
O-Mega if you want a good all around cartridge, look no further than the perfect all around North American round... the 338 Federal.
Hits like a 30-06 out to 300 yards, flat enough out to 400+, easy on the recoil, easy to reload for, its a short action...

I am currently looking for a takedown BLR so I can rechamber/ rebore or rebarrel to a 338 Federal.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm jealous of all the guys that lucked out on the purchase of their lever 30/30's. I wanted one since the early 60's, but living in NJ at the time made firearm purchase involved and difficult,(still is I heard), plus raising a family was the biggest strain the budget could handle.

Finally, in the 90's a friend offered me an unfired Marlin Lever 30/30 at a price even I could afford and I had my 30/30!
Ever heard the song that goes, "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!", well that could be my theme song.

The Marlin was just terribly inaccurate, no factory load shot well at all, and I tried handloading, and the results were not much better. When Hornady came out with their Leverlution ammo for 30/30 I tried it, and it was accurate enough to hunt with, but my trust in the Marlin was many years passed, and I ended up selling it to a member of the gun club who wanted a lever for the Lever Action Matches. He loves the gun, and knew I had only one load that worked, so he started loading the equiv of that load and he does well with it.

I have to agree that just like Townsend Whalen said, "Only accurate guns are interesting", and that said, I truely believe if the Marlin had been accurate, I would very likely be in total agreement the 30/30 could be the do all cartridge!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have different expectations I guess. I want to hit a deer in the vitals, I worry about that group size. I want to hit a squirrel in the head, I worry about that group size. If I want to hit a staple on a piece of paper, I am going to starve.

Buy, honestly, I shoot paper to prove to myself that at a particular range I can hit my target inside the field if I do my part. I don't do tournaments. I don't get involved in accuracy contests with others. I get out to provide food, protect what I need to, deter what I must, and for the intellectual stimulation doing the mental math and logic problems that the sport gives me.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
672 Posts
If anyone tells you that you can't kill an elk with a 30-30, laugh at them. I downed a medium sized 4 X 5 bull shooting 170 grain PowerPoint ammo. Shot distance was about 80 yards or so.

TR

·
Registered
6 Posts
The .30-30 lever does make a one-gun arsenal, used correctly with the right ammo- helps if you reload, better yet cast your own too. Found one I like, a used Marlin straight-stocked "cowboy" number, pre-cross bolt safety (which is why I snapped it up). Wouldnt want to be stuck on one gun, but one could do worse than that Marlin...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts