Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can shoot factory jacketed loads for big game.
130 gr jacketed for medium game.
Cast for economical practice.
Round lead ball sized 311 over 5 grains of unique for a small game load.

All a guy needs in most of the USA.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Agree, Just wish I that much self control

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
some day, i would like to add a 30-30 barrel to my H&R...unfortunately...now is not the time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You do not even need the $$ jacketed $$ heathen bullets. 30-30 can run full tilt on gas checked cast bullets made in your garage for CHEAP. My favorite 30-30 is an early Walnut stocked Rem 788, but it has some "siblings".

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
some day, i would like to add a 30-30 barrel to my H&R...unfortunately...now is not the time.
You wouldn't regret one. Mines a shooter, especially with 170 gr core lokts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Kills deer just as dead but a lot neater than an 18 wheeler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
You all sound like Calvin Rutstrum! In one of his books, and I don't remember which one ("The New Way of the Wilderness" maybe?), he said that the only rifle worth carrying out back of beyond was a lever action .30-30. I agree with that except that some states have this silly rule requiring straight cartridges....

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
You all sound like Calvin Rutstrum! In one of his books, and I don't remember which one ("The New Way of the Wilderness" maybe?), he said that the only rifle worth carrying out back of beyond was a lever action .30-30. I agree with that except that some states have this silly rule requiring straight cartridges....

Could you post some of your cast loads?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I started hunting with a 30-06 in Colorado, when I joined the Army they stationed me at Ft Bragg NC., and right away I knew an 06 was way over kill. I asked around and most said 30-30 was the caliber to have so I purchased a Win 30-30. At first it did well, as most of my hunting was less than 100 yards. But when I was allowed to hunt private land out In Lumberton, NC., I found that the heavy 30-30 dropped way too much at ranges out beyond 150 yards. After missing my first deer which I estimate was at 150 yards, I started researching for a better round. This is pre WWW, so gun magazines, books, and word of mouth was the only way to do it. I narrowed it down to either the 7mm, or 270 win, and went looking at the pawnshops. I happened to be in Jim's Pawnshop just outside of Ft Bragg when a delivery came in of Winchester Ranger models in 270 win, and just so happened to be right in my budget. After zeroing my very next round dropped a 7-point 170 lb buck at around 200 yards or so. For 20 years or so that rifle was the only thing I used, except when hunting shotgun only areas or or black powder season. Now I have added 308 to the rotation and will try a 44 mag pistol too, but if I had to revert back to just one, I would go choose 270 Win.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts