Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sawed-off Topper .30 wcf has frustrated me for a couple of years. It wouldn't give me consistent accuracy with cast-bullet plinker loads. I thought maybe it was because the P.O. Had recoil reduction slots milled behind the muzzle.
O. -

In a shot in the dark, I loaded it with 3031. At 30 grains with Lee 175 flat-point .311" it gave me cloverleafs at 50 yards. A whitetail load wasn't what I had in mind but I can't argue with that accuracy.

The only problem is the recoil worked my scope loose before I could try it at 100.

.[img]https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/13/3e5be39fd17919a4d44a7e73733be0ec.jpg

·
Registered
791 Posts
Oquirrh, just a couple of questions/comments, is that a older Weaver scope on your Handi? Cinch that scope down and work that handload you have and get ready for deer season. Did the scope shift in the rings or did the rings loosen up from the base rail? Take care, keep us in the loop and let us know how it shoots, John. :)

·
Premium Member
9,713 Posts
Looking at Hodgdon's data, that does seem to be a hot load for 3031. All I can tell you is 90 percent of my Handis like it hot. I load them all to their fastest and most accurate level and leave them there. If I want more or less, I use a different rifle in another caliber. In my Handi .30-30 I shoot a 150 gr. Nosler BT at 2400+ fps. over LVR. It is accurate, works, and it stays there. A scope problem is no big deal. You'll find it easily. I've had a few. Just follow your common sense and instincts. A couple of my early junk scopes were completely wiped out. I like the Bushnell Banners. They're inexpensive, rugged and clear.

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
I would suggest a set of Burris Signature Series Zee rings with the plastic inserts. You'll pay a premium for them but you won't have scope ring problems anymore. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Start the scope re-mounting from the bottom up (take the base off and start over), use good quality rings (goin' cheap on rings for a hunting rifle is folly) and dont have any oil on the scope tube or ring faces when you cinch it down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. All good advice.
It is an old, old weaver with a target dot. (As you can see I pieced the stocks together from a pile of parts I got at a garage sale.)
The rings (weaver) can't be cinched tighter.
I have newer scopes, but they have huge eyepiece rings that interfere with the hammer unless I mount them high. I like the scope as low to the bore as possible.

I have a Burris 6x mini scope, I'm going to mount for load development. If things work out, I'll invest in a solid 2.5 to 4x scope and good mounts. I don't want a honkin' big scope on a little walking-around rifle.

But I'd really like to find a plinker load for this rifle. I had some luck with Red Dot, but it was inconsistent. But I'm thinking maybe the barrel has finally "matured" and I should try again.

In the end, as you are all hinting, it could be cheap rings and/0r a funky scope. I should know better.

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
I have old El Paso Weavers on most of my scoped guns and like them well. Most also have the old Weaver rings, the formed sheet steel cap with a folded lip on one side and two screws on the other. The scopes don't move.
Most of my shooting for the past 30+ years has been with cast bullets at no more than about 1450fps, though I have tried some jacketed at reduced velo in some calibers, still over 1000fps I think.
If you stay around 1100-1250 for either you should be able to find a reduced velo pinking/walkabout load that is satisfactory. However, with lead bullets you cannot just substitute the lead at the same dia. used in jacketed or they will be too small.
You find the proper dia. for lead by finding out what size fits into a 'fully fire-formed case mouth'. This will often be several thou' larger in dia. than the typical size for caliber. What you are doing is fitting to 'the throat' so you do not get gas cutting on the bullet base or up the sides when the bullet is making the transition from case into the barrel proper.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Oquirrh, you might give a new set of rings a try, from the picture you have a set of the older Weaver rings with two small screws on one side and a ''V'' shaped hook on the other side that fits into the ring base. I have never liked those rings, scope seems to twist as you tighten the screws. Try a set of the low Weaver Quad Locks or maybe Burris Signature Zee rings. Take care and keep us in the loop, John. :)

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
jpshaw said:
My problem with cast loads (in any caliber) is getting them to hit to POI with the jacketed rounds.
Have you tried cast bullets heavier than your normal jacketed bullets? Also, a high speed lube like powdercoating may help decrease the chance of leading at higher speeds.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Cast bullets are almost always shot at much lower velo than the same weight jacketed bullets. You already know that a given jacketed bullet will shoot to a different POI at different velo's. Lead alloy bullets are also more 'slippery' compared to gilding metal jackets, so that enters the mix.
Most find it folly to try to shoot lead alloy bullets at comparable speeds as jacketed (yes, it is done, but is 'advanced cast bullet shooting' with lots of nuances to get there). Currently Im finding Dinny's suggestion of powdercoated lead alloy to be VERY promising with little fuss for those whom 'speed is king' (I just like the NO leading part).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.