Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'd like to say a quick thanks to everyone that answered my last question about years. Now that I have found out that there are only a few different calibers that I can get for my old .223 I am leaning towards the 30-30. I currently have a Marlin 336 in that caliber and it does extremely well with the Hornady Lever Evolution shells. My question is has anyone tried these out of a handi? I can get .5 inch groups with the 336 at 100 yards. After testing a couple of boxes of them I found that the bullet drop chart on the box to be right on. 3" high at 100 yards did put me right on at 200 yards and about 12" low at 300. I was able to take a large spike buck 2 days ago at 282 yards with them. I hit him twice with the second shot passing through both lungs doing heavy damage to them on the way through. I guess what I am trying to find out is if I can expect the same accuracy and performance out of a Handi as I get out of the 336?

Meatball

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
First let me compliment you on your deer! That was great shooting! Your Marlin is very accurate for a lever action, but I see no reason why a Handi should not be just as accurate. I just took a nice doe with my Handi in 30-30 but it was at 70 yds. The 30-30 is a fine hunting cartridge, and Hornady has stepped up the performance a notch. I was considering making mine an Ackley Improved chamber but I don't think that would offer anything beyond what the Hornady ammo does. 44 Man

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 44Man. Congratulations to you too. I was quite surprised at the accuracy myself. The bullet passed almost all the way through stopping just under the hide on the opposite side of the deer. The lead and jacket stayed together until I went to pull it out then they separated. I have always had good luck with the hornady factory loads and hornady bullets. Just wish they were a little cheaper priced.

Meatball

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Hornady Evolution ammo shoots very well in my 336's but not as tight in my Handi 30-30. Standard 30-30 ammo shoots very well however. Groups that can touch if I do my part. Others may have had a different experience with the Evolution 30-30 ammo.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
"Just wish they were a little cheaper priced." Well then they would be Remingtons, which ain't a bad round in its' own way.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The 30-30 is an excellent choice, while the rifle is at NEF have them fit a 45-70 barrel, and a shotgun barrel with choke tubes and you would be ready to hunt anything there is to hunt in the majority of the world, assuming of course you have a 22 rimfire lin your battery also. It sounds like you are already familiar with the 30-30 though, that sounds like some good shooting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input. Leo thanks for the advice. However I already have several NEF's in 12, 20, .410, and .223. I've also got a .50 Sidekick so I guess I don't need to get a shotgun barrel. There is even a .22 and .22 mag in the group so I'd guess I'm kind set with those one for now. I would like to get a new Handi in 7mm-08 someday when my budget allows it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts