Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got to get some ammo and need some help. The store I buy my ammo from has Winchester 150gr hollow points, power points, and silvertip and 170gr. power points and silvertip. And also remington 150 and 170 grainers. Where should I start and what performs best on deer?? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
I have had real good luck with the silver tips in both the 150 and 170 but anymore i just load my own :D

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
It's kinda hard to go wrong with almost any of the Winchester line for the 30-30...it's legendary...go for any of the 150 grainers...they work...and work great...they are usually very accurate...and drop deer pretty good...

Mac

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't have a handi in 30-30 but i do have a marlin 336. All i have shot in it have been Winchester 150 gr. I've shot the Power Point, Hollow Point, Power Point Plus and the Silvertips. All have shot great and i never saw the need to change to a different brand.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't think you can beat 170gr Core-Lokt emingtons, especially considering you can typically buy them for around $8-10 a box. Personally, I've used Federal 170gr Nosler Partitions in my 94AE with excellent results. I picked up several boxes for pretty cheap years ago at a gun show, and they have worked extremely well. However, when my supply runs out, you can bet I'll be using standard 170gr soft points!

The Nosler bullet is great, but I just think its foolish to pay almost $20 for a box of .30-30 ammo!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ya'll! I think Im gonna get a box of 150 gr. silvertips for now. When i find the Fusion ammo Ill definatly try it out. Thanks again! - Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts