Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I had been kicking around the idea of necking the 38 spl down to 30 cal with 7.62x25 Tokerev dies, but hadn't done anything about it. Recently I learned of a fellow who goes by the name of Badger Edd who had done several and had the reamer print on file with Dave Manson. So I ordered a reamer, and made up a Contender stub barrel out of a piece of Remington 300 Win Mag barrel. Had to make a seating die too, and the Lee Tok FL die worked perfectly.

I worked up a load using a 150gr. Loverin bullet, paper patched, over a compressed load of Nobel Sport TU-2000 (about like IMR4198) that held right at MOA from the bench to 200M. Yesterday I tried it in our big bore pistol silhouette match and it did just fine. Has plenty of power to take the rams, and mild enough recoil to shoot it taco style with a rifle scope. I am really liking this cartridge, and as soon as my Ruger #1 barrel comes back from being bored to 30 cal, I'll see what it will do in a rifle. Sort of between a 32-20 and a 30 Carbine, with very inexpensive brass and dies. Seems to take 35,000 psi loads with no problem, and is throwing that 150gr. bullet at 1600 fps from the 14 inch pistol barrel. Finally a fun and useful wildcat to play with!

-Nobade

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I had no idea that cartridge existed! And Hornady is making brass for it?! Judging from the picture I saw, the shoulder angle is a bit steeper than my Badger, and it's made from 357 mag cases, but otherwise it's almost identical.

I'm not after it any more, I have the reamer and have made dies and am shooting it already. But that's still cool there's a commercial version out there.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, there is very little anyone can come up with when dealing with firearms that hasn't been done before. People have been playing with guns for a long time!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Run .357 magnum brass into a .300 blackout die and you will get a rimmed .300 blackout with a slightly shorter
neck. Can shoot 220 grain bullets just like the .300 blackout.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So often when we think we are the first, really we just think like lots of other folks. I've found that to be true for most wildcats both one of and quite popular ones.

True enough statement, but many wildcats are not made with an eye on economy and ease of production. The 30 Reece requires the case be trimmed to nearly the same length of the 30 Badger, has a short neck which is less conducive to using cast bullets and requires a set of special loading dies. These requirements do not add to the ease of making cases or economy of the wildcat.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The idea/draw for me with the 30Badger is a poor/cheap man's 32-20 in easy/cheap to get brass and over the counter die$. I have an 18" carbine and 10 inch barrels for my contender. I love both them barrels. Thank you Mr. Badger Man!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts