Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been beat to death, discussed, FAQ'ed, and everything else. I just wanted to ask again for my own piece of mind. Don't want to mess up. Thanks in advance!

I want a 30 badger. I can buy a .308 barrel liner with a 1/10 twist and a 1/2 inch outside diameter. I have a 410 barrel I'm hoping to ream out and just epoxy the liner in, just like lining a barrel. This barrel is fitted to a SB1 frame. It should be good, as the SB1 handles the 357, and the 30 badger is based on the 38 special case. I already have the Tokarev dies to form and load the cases and I intend to use the Lee 113 grain "soup can" bullet. Have cast up a bunch already and fixing to form some cases. Basically I want a "Rook" rifle and to just have something a little different.

I am not able to ream the barrel so I will need to send it out. Need to find a chamber reamer and a 357 extractor. I have some confusion on what will fit since the 410 barrel is an ejector. Probably will want whoever installs the liner to do all the work for me.

Any advise? Estimates on cost? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Is there enough meat out near the muzzle in a 410 barrel to ream to .500? A .380 diameter chamber in a .500 liner just leaves a .060 wall. Considering it is surrounded by the heavy part of the shotgun barrel I don't think it would be a safety issue but the chamber could possibly swell. I would think using your barrel as a donor for a stub job would make a better rifle in the long run.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WLB said:
Is there enough meat out near the muzzle in a 410 barrel to ream to .500? A .380 diameter chamber in a .500 liner just leaves a .060 wall. Considering it is surrounded by the heavy part of the shotgun barrel I don't think it would be a safety issue but the chamber could possibly swell. I would think using your barrel as a donor for a stub job would make a better rifle in the long run.
I think there is. I'm thinking about an 18 inch barrel and the liner has a 1/2 inch outside diameter. I might be wrong about using the liner and epoxy, maybe should find a barrel blank and do the threaded stub method. ??? I know I should not be cheap, but I'm trying to be! I can get a 20" liner for about $100.

Thanks Quick, I thought about Oregon Gunsmithing, but that's a little rich for me. I think there is a guy named White who is supposed to be good with Handi's too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts