Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:-D New to the forum. What a great source of information, I was beginning to think I was all alone in the T/C asylum! Has anyone tried
"Squib" loads in a 30 Herret or any 30 cal.? (#1 buckshot loaded over a small amount of a fast pistol type powder) used mostly for grouse ,rabbits,small game and rogue elephants!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yup

Another way to do it..Drill out the primer pocket so that it will accept a .22 power load used for concrete fasteners. Then bevel the opening at the top and put your Contender on rimfire. No powder needed, very quiet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The squib load for many years in all 30 caliber cases was to put an extra deep chamfer an the case mouth, and push a .310" diameter round ball, cast of soft or pure lead, into the case neck. I believe the charge was 3.3 gr. of Red Dot, for all 30 caliber cases. That's the old Red Dot, the new Red Dot may be a little faster. This load is good for bagging rabbits, squirrels, grouse, etc. with your big game rifle. Good accurracy to 35 yds., low report. The 30 Herret is a small case I would start out with less then 3.3 grs. 8)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts