Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Does any one have any first hand experience with this caliber. Load data seems hard to come by. I want to shoot 135 gr. and 165 gr. bullets. Not interested in any sub-sonic or heavy bullet loads. This is in a 14" Contender. I want to get serious again with deer hunting and thought this would be a good caliber to try.

Thanks for any help,
Bob

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
.300/221

Its as close as one can get without having SSK or T/C Custom Shop logo on it. Dimensions are the same...300 Whisper is a registered trademark for SSK Industries (read J.D.Jones),which T/C has also been allowed to use through an agreement. Accurate Powder has listed loads,Sierra lists loads in its Pistol Manual,the aforementioned Quarterbore.com has lots of good loads..My favorite bullet is the 125 BT's loaded over 19 grains of H-110,with CCI Mag small rifle primers..I have been tinkering with a 90 grain XTP and Lil'Gun for a coyote load..worked up to 18 grains so far with no problem..fairly accurate to boot..will try to work up to 20 and call it quits there... :grin:

·
Registered
32 Posts
300/221

Bobg, Some additional comments to add to the already good info you've received. The 300/221 (AKA '300 Whisper') uses 221 Rem Fireball brass necked up to 30 caliber. 300 Whisper dies are made by RCBS and Hornady. RCBS told me they sold the dies only to JD. Don't know about Hornady, but the set I bought from JD was made by Hornady. Redding makes 300/221 dies, but have heard reports on the 'net about the Redding dies not sizing the brass down enough. You can get 221 FB from many handloading dealers. 300 Whisper brass (already necked up) is also available from SSK, and is about $4/100 cheaper than is FB brass. There are some differences in the twist rate for this barrel. To utilize all loads, including subsonic (using 200-240 gr bullets), you'll need a 1:8" twist. I believe the T/C factory barrels are either 1:10" or 1:12" twists; these would be fine for loads using "hunting weight bullets" i.e. 125-180 gr bullets. Load data is available from "The Hornady Data Manual, 5h Ed" as well as JD. BTW, JD doesn't take kindly to 300/221 barrels bought from 'smiths other than himself and will tell you up front not to call call him you have problems handloading w/ a 300/221 barrel not bought from SSK. For small whitetail deer, JD's recommended bullets to me (in order of preference) were: 125 gr NBT, 125 gr Speer TNT, and 130 gr Horndayd SSP. For supersonic hunting loads, he rec'd H110/W296/N 110, or AA 1680. In my 12" VVCG barrel, I easily get 2200-2250 w/ 125-130 gr bullets and H110 or W296. It's a very good hunting round that's amazingly efficient. :grin: I killed 2 whitetail deer w/ mine next year. The only regret I have w/ my 300/221 is that I don't get to hunt w/ it enough :oops: . Sorry to have been so long winded. Good luck and good hunting. Gary T

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again,

Thanks for all the info guys. I didn't realize there was so much data for this out there. Oh well, all you have to do is ask the right people.

Thanks again,
Bob

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
steve7777

The .300 Whisper is fun to shoot,its easy on recoil and muzzle blast,its easy to reload,and according to others its murder on whitetails inside 200 yds. Its an extremely accurate round. So far all I have killed are liquid detergent bottles and they suffer not.. :grin:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Gary and others thanks for the information. I just picked up a used SSK 10" 300 Whisper with 1-8" twist. I sent it off to Virgin Valley for installation of their scope base. I purchased two boxes of Cor Bon 150 gr loads and shot three of them into 1 3/8" at 60 yds with the open sights. I'll be mounting a Burris 2-7X in Burris Signature Z rings when it returns. The 150 gr Cor Bon's were going 1820 fps, will they expand on deer?

I have Nosler 125 BT, Rem 125 gr, Rem 30/30 150 gr, and Nosler 150 BT to try in it. The Cor Bon ammo is loaded with 19.6 gr of a powder that looks like A1680. I''ve got A1680 and 296 to try in it.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts