Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, - was just wonderin' who has handloading experience here with 300 AAC & cast boolits ?
I don't own a platform nor dies, but I'm enticed by the CVA Scout series of single-shots if they would
fit my rotation of plinking guns in a cheap n' easy caliber to reload. I have Lee 100gr 30-cal boolits abundant
I use in a 30-30 Handi-Rifle for light plinking loads and wonder how they would fare in 300 AAC at the twist
mfgrs make (?) I also have 150gr Cowboy (no GC) and gas-check type cast boolits, but for plinking
who wants to spend gas checks ? Any frugal handloaders out there have any experience with tailoring
300 AAC to a cheep single-shot load ? Thanks for your thoughts beforehand. - V.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’ve loaded cast in a .300 Whisper Contender barrel with 1:10” twist. I’ve used the RCBS 165SIL bullet and Reloder 7 with good success but only tried supersonic, no subs. What is the twist rate of the CVA barrel you want to try? Most have 1:8”.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for writing Mr. Nimrod. I hear ya about 1:10", and 1:8" makes me wonder if cast will strip.
Guess some experimenting is in order when I do. No worries, I'm an experienced handloader for
40yrs and I don't hotrod things. Just can't find any cast data or people in-the-know about results in 1:8".
Thanks anyway. Respectfully, - V.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I run straight clip on wheel weight Lee155's at full house H110 speeds with no issue in a 16" 8twist AR. I cast them, check/size them, then powdercoat them and cold water quench straight out of the pc oven. Accuracy is fantastic. I also load a 10" 10twist 300Whisper contender barrel, but I treat that more like a hot 32-20 with lighter bullets in the 120 grain range. IMO stripping/skidding is not a big an issue as most think before actually trying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow ! Thanks for writing Chuck. You've got me on the "before actually trying" thing. WW is soft, - we've all read C.E. Harris articles I guess, and you're quenching them to higher hardness. As a matter of fact I have the Lee 155 .312 mold for an Argie I reload for. You made no mention of GC or omitting the GC (which I never do if the mold is designed for it). I guess I'll have to experiment which is part of the hobby ! Thanks for your two-cents worth ! Best ! - V.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use the gas check. I have never seen PC take the need for a GC away when running full steam personally. If I am running at checked speeds, it gets a check. Just remember that the PC coating insulates a bit at quenching, so ultimate hardness is not quite the same as quenched naked lead. Luckily with PC none of that matters, pc allows much softer alloys than one would think.

With the way that .312/155 molds nose is made, you should not have any problems in a single shot. I have to hold them back a ways farther from engagement than you will have to, still does not skid even in the 8 twist. Recovered bullets tell that tale right nicely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wonderful and Thanks Chuck ! I'm an old-school Lyman 450 guy and polymer coating is out of my ken, but thanks for the info anyway. I tailor alloys per needs / never water quench because I want water nowhere near my casting pot, and the baking routine I obviously don't do sans my boolits go to a 450. Your info shed new light on ultimate hardness of your method / I never read that before. Learn something everyday ! Happy hobby and happy reloading pal. Cheers ! - V.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the CVA scout in 300 BO, works fine for cast. 100 to 185gr, all supers. it's 1:8. The scope rail is NOT picatinny but a guy (Hankins Custom Rifles LLC. ([email protected])) makes a good one in picatinny. I changed my stock to Boyd thumbhole but the plastic one works fine. Barrel is a little heavy as I think they use it for several calibers.
Loaded 75 with 145gr PB PC this morning with cfe black (used the last of it). Some for the 1:10 18" carbine, rest for the 1:8 16" CVA scout. Picked up a box of 110 Vmax to load in the 10" 1:8 pistol with 1680. Loaded some 145g PB PCd over a bit of Red dot to try for giggles. Should be super but quiet.
Shot the Red Dot rnds this morning. A hoot! 2 almost touching groups. bout 6" POI drop. Load up more!

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I have loaded a few Hunter Specialty 115 RNFP (.313 resized to .309) over Titegroup and Trailboss. Roughly 900fps and I am getting 1" grpups @ 50 yards. I loaded some up a little hotter, but haven't been to the range yet. I estimate they will be in the 1200fps range. I am only using them because I have almost 500 and no more 32-20. For me, that is where my 300BO/Whisper will get most of its use, however, I do intend to take it out deer hunting with full power jacketed loads.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Two boolits I cast for 300BO, 155 Lee and 220 Lee, both PC. Both from WW. The 220 are sometimes undersize but the PC helps. The PC 155s can be driven to 1,8k fps with no leading/fouling and are the most accurate of the 15 boolits I cast. Well actually tied with the SAECO 352 mold .358 245gr I use as subs in my 77/357.

My 300BO is a 1:7 Law-guns 8"

·
Premium Member
15,957 Posts
I really like Lymans 311410 as a plinker and agree that the LEE 312-1552R is a winner too.
CW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts