Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked yesterday about letting a guy I work with use one of my rifles to have his son use for his first year deer hunting. I was going to let him use the 30-30 Handi but I just thought about the new 300 BO I bought, I have only used it at all for subsonic messing around, but the Dad said 100 yds max range so I thought HMMM maybe that would make a good choice.
(* am adding this line- I need a deer hunting load, am asking the group for input.)
I have 110 gr bonded bullets
130 gr
150 gr bonded
165 gr
and 168 gr
(I have zero cast bullets)
I know its a can of worms but voice your thoughts...... I don't want your EXACT recipe but powder type and bullet wt would be nice and I can research from there.
Thanks, I need a recipe and on zero in 3 weeks. -thejanitor

·
Registered
957 Posts
All I know is that it will take a bullet which the bullet maker rates as a good bullet for the 300 BO low velocities. I know Barnes makes a 30 cal bullet especially for the 300 BO, but you probably don't have that particular bullet. The Barnes 300 BO bullet is marked with a different color than their other bullets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've used Hornady 110gr vmax with success. Also have used the 110gr ttsx in my 30 Bellm, I actually like that bullet better. Also 240gr Outlaws softpoint over 6.2grs of accurate #5 (I'd have to confirm that) The outlaws don't shoot great out of my gun, but I've taken a few deer with them. Super quiet even without a can. Have shoot two back to back with a single shot because of this. I would like to try the 194gr from Lehigh defense. Subsonics aren't going to be good to 100yds for a kid though.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
IMHO keep bullet weights under 130 and then only with one bucket I can think of. Mostly under 125 will be fine.

The Hornady 125 SST is a good one and probably easiest for consistent expansion. Followed by the Nosler BT in 125 g. Another no one talks about, but I feel is a great choice is the Sierra FP HP bullet made for the 30/30. I have used it on deer at 2K Ina 30/30 with good results. That's 300 bel all day long!

Some of the 120g can be good to but I personally am just guessing as I have no first hand experience. I would not worry about the Barnes 110 made for the Black or the 110 Ttsx previously recommended.

I'm a fan of heavier bullets. But when velocities to expand them can be achieved. That's the problem with the black.

I'll be shooting one of four bullets this year. IMHO any are a good choice. NOT listed in any petticoat order!

1) Sierra 125 FP HP

2) Hornady 125 SST

3) Nosler 125 BT

4) Speer 130 FP

I won't be using them but feel the two Barnes 110g cooper tipped bullets are good choices as well.

CW

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Take the 125 grain Noslers that Dinny is sending you and load them over Lil'Gun or H110. Mine shoots a hair over MOA with those bullets over a max charge of Lil'Gun.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I can tell you that the speer 130 gr fp is a wonderful deer getter in the 30-30! It is designed for medium velocities that the BO can achieve. Of course the Nosler BT works the same and looks sexier, but costs more. For the velocities and ranges you are talking for the BO, the Speer is excellent. I've often wondered a good use for the BO and for starting a new shooter, it would be excellent. 44 Man

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
The 125s should work fine. I would rate the Sierra 125 FNHP as one of the best if you can find them, my grandson has taken several deer with that. I Use 15.5 gr of 2400 in the 125gr loads, and 19 gr of H110 with the 110gr SP's. The 110s are extremely accurate, but I have not taken deer with them yet.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Midway had both the Speer 130 and Sierra 125 HP last week. ( I ordered some;) )

Just FYI

CW

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fpjeepy05 said:
Subsonics aren't going to be good to 100yds for a kid though.
I know that's why I am trying to post this question. ( ADDED the * to original post).

Thank you all for the replies! I am excited to be using the gun to its potential also not just as only a cat sneeze type plinker.

Thanks Dinny, I will get ahold of you! - thejanitor

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
Brent,
I have pre-labeled SFRBs on their way to my house. As soon as I get one I'll send off the bullets. I also have the Sierra 125gr SPs, Hornady 125gr SSTs, and several suitable cast bullets that have been powder coated. Let me know if you want to try any of them and I'll send some too.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
579 Posts
Have not used them on game, but 125 grn ballistic tip with H110, max book load shoots under and inch in my blackout and I have no doubt they will work just fine out to 150 yards or so. It shoots so well I don't see the need to look any farther. ;D

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Guys the Hornady 125SST per my Hornady 9th edition is listing a "muzzle" velocity rating of 2,400 - 3,200FPS

Is there something I am missing with the use of these bullets for reliable expansion on deer? with most published data for the BO with 125s at 2,100-2,200 at the muzzle. I have seen them locally and would be all over them for a try, but I have been passing on the purchase because of the published info from Hornady

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
MAN said:
Guys the Hornady 125SST per my Hornady 9th edition is listing a "muzzle" velocity rating of 2,400 - 3,200FPS
Is there something I am missing with the use of these bullets for reliable expansion on deer? with most published data for the BO with 125s at 2,100-2,200 at the muzzle. I have seen them locally and would be all over them for a try, but I have been passing on the purchase because of the published info from Hornady
I haven't even loaded one yet, but data on the 300 BLK site indicates they may be opening at lower than book velocities. I think this warrants a test shot into my bullet box. 8)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I would give up on the science experiment and just give him the 30-30, it is well proven for about 100 years and he won't have to chase a deer because of an un-proven load Larry

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Thanks...Now I have a new site to check everyday - I am coming into the game a little late with the BO, but the 125BT are plentiful in my area and only about $5-6 more than SSTs. H110 and 1680 are working very well - I am not getting good results with 4227 groups are consistent 1.5 - 3" at 50yd where as the H110 and 1680 are 1-1.5" or better if I eliminate a flyer in my 5 shot groups
Still learning a lot from you guys so please keep input coming

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
The BO is a very light rifle, it takes more care to shoot from the bench than most, it also is affected by torque unless you keep a grip on it. It may not show in actual hunting conditions-- but sure does at the bench. My 125 gr load with the FNHP's at 50 yards over 15 gr of 2400 is not the fastest possible, but it will shoot clover leaf groups. Likewise for me the 19gr H110 under the Hornady 110ge spire points is rated at 2250fps-- not the top load-- but 3 shot groups at 50 yards make one ragged hole IF you hold the gun still. I really have to concentrate to keep from wobbling-- my varmint rifles I can just set on the bipod and hardly touch anything but the trigger-- the BO you have to HOLD. The good news is once you get "the" load you can rest assured that wherever the bullet goes it is because you were aiming there.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts