Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my dad's 99 Savage fixed up and want to work up a load for it using a 150 grain bullet. Do any of you guys have any loads on your books that have worked particularly well with this fine old deer rifle? I killed my first buck with this rifle back in the early 60's and want to give it another whirl with some handloads.

Thanks guys,
wolfy

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
M99 Save .300 Savage

Congratulations on having a FINE rifle and caliber!

The US Military establishment actually used and considered making that case the NATO standard back in the late 1940's. It's performance comes pretty close to the load that made the .30-06 fame and fortune (150 grain spitzer bullet at 2700 fps).

Any of the medium burning rate powders is good for loading: IMR 3031, 4064, 4895, the Winchester 748 come to mind. The newer Accurate powders are good too.

I like the medium weight pointy bullets: 130-150 grains.

Any of the reloading manuals starting loads should be good.

Have fun!

·
Registered
157 Posts
wolfy-

The December, 2002 issue of Handloader Magazine has an article entitled "Three Old Thirties" that lists loads for the .300 Savage using the 150 grn Hornady Interlock Spire Point, the 165 grn Nosler Partition, and the 170 grn Nosler R/N Partition.

Just thought you might like to check it out.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
wolfy said:
Just got my dad's 99 Savage fixed up and want to work up a load for it using a 150 grain bullet. Do any of you guys have any loads on your books that have worked particularly well with this fine old deer rifle? I killed my first buck with this rifle back in the early 60's and want to give it another whirl with some handloads.

Thanks guys,
wolfy
Wolfy,

As my name implies, I have a very warm spot in my heart for old Savage 99's, particularly those that were made in Utica, NY. I too am about to venture into reloading the .300 Savage in hopes of keeping it viable for a few more years. As it stands now, the only manufactured ammunition sources are Remington and Federal brands with rumors of the supply drying up anytime in the near future. This was the earlier fate for the .303 Savage cartridge and the lever gun that put A.W. Savage in the history books.....as the inventor of the model 1899 rotary magazine, hammerless lever-action repeater.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
savage 99f 300

wolfy I had a 99f and the load that I used the most out of mine was a 165 gr sierra bt 39 gr. IMR-4895 always did what I asked of it until I allowed a good friend talk me out of that rifle and I havent been the same since. I have looked at several over the years and none have tripped my trigger like that perticular rifle did. Take care of yours and it will always take care of you. :D JIM

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ahhh, my all-time favorite lever shucker. That .300 Savage has been called the best deer cartridge ever made. Considering all the great ones, that's high praise, but I agree. Interesting to note that Remington is currently offering a turn-bolt in this historic caliber. I hope it sparks some renewed interest other than us die-hards. I think it would be a miracle in this era of gotta-have-more-power-or-I'm-gonna-die mentality.

I load mine with 39 grns 4064 topped with regular old Speer 165 bt's. I use the bt's because of the steep shoulder angle of the brass. Some folks have warned of the possibility of the neck being rammed down into the case as the square ended bullets are seated. Personally, I never had this happen but I don't like interruptions during re-loading so I just go with the bt's.

This recipe gets me into a 1-1/4" group out to about 125 yards. At 200 yards I consistently hit good sized grapefruit - pretty spectacular results, too. Original tang peep.
Mine was made in 1937 (I think it's an EG) and has a very light barrel so I always bring something else to shoot while it cools. It will definitely wander as it heats after the first 8 to 10 rounds. But, it's not intended to be a bench rifle.

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
300 Savage

wolfy: The Lyman Reloading Manual, 43rd edition, lists an accuracy load for that cartridge of 42 grains of IMR 4320 for 2590'/sec from your rifle. The factory duplication load is 43.2 grains of IMR 4320 for 2659'/sec.

Hope this helps. Mikey.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just in case you're interested this is a Savage 99EG in .300 made in 1951 according to the website that I went to. It has checkering on the forearm and pistol grip and a steel shotgun buttplate and a nice little schnable on the forearm tip. It has been drilled and tapped for a scope and wears an old steel-tube K-3 Weaver on top of the reciever. It has an old 3/4" military type sling that kind of looks at home on the old girl.

I'm looking forward to working up a load for it and will probably go with the 4064 and 4895 powders and see which one it likes best with the 150 grain bullet.

Thanks again fellas,
wolfy

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
The first year I hunted deer I carried a Win. 94 25-35 or a Savage 99 in the .303 Savage caliber loaded with 190 grain Silvertips. The Savage was my rifle of choice that year. The Savage worked without a flaw, the same could not be said for the old 94.

Dad bougth three rifle's in the .300 Savage, a Remington M81, a Savage 99, and a Remington 722. We normally used factory ammo for all three rifles with great success. I started loading for the .300 about 25 years ago. I found a set of RCBS small base dies on sale. This was a better deal then I thought at the time. I have bought a good supply of 7.62 NATO brass to resize and trim into .300 Savage brass. The Small Base dies are the key to success when it comes to resizing this brass that has been fired in machine guns.

I have found that the .300 Savage case is very efficent when it comes to burning powder. You get a lot for you bang. Because I am loading for the stronger 722 action most of my loads run at max for the M99 action. I have had good luck with IMR 4064, IMR 4320, and AA2015BR. My number one powder is 4064.

Using my Chrony at 6000 ft elevation on a 85 degree day I averaged a velocity of 2646 fps. at 15 feet. The powder was IMR 4064 and the bullet was 165 grain Hornaday. I sighted the rifle at 2 3/4 inches high at 100 yards. I believe this to more then adequate out to 300 yards.

On the same day I tested some very old Remington factory loaded PtCL 150 grain bullets. They averaged 2430 fps.

Couple of the guys I went to high school with dad was a State Trapper. His rifle of choice was a M99 in .300 Savage. I can recall watching him reload for it, and getting a lesson in loading from him. If I recall he was reloading using surplus 4895 powder. It was dirt cheap in the 50's and 60's. He proved to me that reloading for the .300 Savage was not a problem in his M99. In turn I have never had a problem loading this round.

I understand that Speer recommends it's Mag-tip bullet for the .300 Savage.

Siskiyou

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Siskiyou,

You sound like a man I want to know better! I am just getting into re-loading for my M99T in .300Savage. I'd appreciate any loading hints on bullet and powder selections that have worked well for you. So you are resizing .308 cases to .300Sav? Is that a good fit, and do you need to know anything like using progressive dies to re shape. You mentioned small-base dies. I just ordered the RCBS .300 Savage dies that use #003 shell holder (same as .30-06). I gather these are Large Base Dies? Thanks for the hints and will be looking to converse as I get a little more experience.

Jim

·
Registered
300 Posts
I always wondered about reforming .308 runds into .300 Savage. I once contempalted a .300 Sav. Contender barrel for use as a neat little "travel gun" that would be very compact and at the same time, be a credible hunting rifles. SSK and Bullberry listed the .300 Savage among their contender chamberings. ACcording to the manuals you can get 2500-2600 fps with the 150 grain bullet. Subsequently, the Encore was introudced which will accept the most powerful rounds and the idea became moot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I feel like Iv'e gone home. Here it's shotgun. I grew up in St Lawrence Co. NY. Rifle country. My model 99 has been in the family for at lease 50 years. Not sure how old. Serial #673099. Anybody got any ideas? Mine has a peep and I'll leave it that way. I load 165 gr. boattails Don't have the grs. of 4064 right here. Have had good results.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
c mac said:
I feel like Iv'e gone home. Here it's shotgun. I grew up in St Lawrence Co. NY. Rifle country. My model 99 has been in the family for at lease 50 years. Not sure how old. Serial #673099. Anybody got any ideas? Mine has a peep and I'll leave it that way. I load 165 gr. boattails Don't have the grs. of 4064 right here. Have had good results.
Go to the Savage99 Site and plug in your s/n. P.S. There's alot of good info with photos of different models. Enjoy!
http://www.savage99.com/

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
c mack,

I've got 1951 or later on your M99.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
SavageT:

My process of converting brass from 7.62(.308) machinegun to .300 Savage brass.

Inspect and tumble brass after recieving it. Last lot was of one hundred.

Deprime(Use a primer punch for military primers) and ream out military crimp from primer pocket.

Lube.

Run brass through a Lee 30-06 die. This reduces stress on the brass. It reduces side diameter while not forcing back the shoulder.

Run brass through RCBS SMALL BASE .300 SAVAGE resizing die. This again reduces the side wall with little stress and at the same time sits the shoulder back to the proper length and angle for the .300 Savage round.

Ream neck back to the proper length with a Forester Reamer.

Camfer brass throat.

I inspect the brass and work it my rifle to make sure that it functions.

Load it.

Once fired mil brass in my rife.
* Of course I do not have to repeat many of the first time around steps when reloading my .308 to .300 Savage Brass because it is now .300 Savage brass with a military headstamp.

I adjust my RCBS small bass die to resize the neck. I then make sure the brass functions in my rifle. I prefer that my loads do not fit another rifle. My loads are safe in my M722 but I do not know if they are safe in every M99 out there. On the side of my loads I write +P+. For those that do not know high pressure law enforcement loads are marked +P+ and should not be fired in some weapons.

Siskiyou

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
SavageT and others:

The M99 been around for a long time. Over time has the heat treatment or metal in the M99 been changed to handle higher pressure ammuntion. In later years the rounds loaded have created more pressure. A few of the rounds I believe loaded in the M99 are .25-35 Win., .22 HP, .303 Savage, 250-3000, .300 Sav., .308 Win., .358 Win., .284 Win. There is a big pressure jump between the .303 Savage and the .284 Winchester.

The big question is, are the rifles that chamber the .308 Win. and the .284 Win. stronger.

Siskiyou

·
Registered
38 Posts
Savage model 99

I shot my first Michigan whitetail buck with a Savage'99E .308 Win in 1966. My dad shot his first buck in Michigan with a '99 .303 Savage in 1933. Too bad that Dad or either of the rifles aren't still around. There are are several early Savage '99s on Gunbroker.com in 32-40 and 38-55, 1/2 round 1/2 octagon barrels, tang sights. Might be time to get a Savage '99 in the cabinet!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Siskiyou said:
SavageT and others:

The M99 been around for a long time. Over time has the heat treatment or metal in the M99 been changed to handle higher pressure ammuntion. In later years the rounds loaded have created more pressure. A few of the rounds I believe loaded in the M99 are .25-35 Win., .22 HP, .303 Savage, 250-3000, .300 Sav., .308 Win., .358 Win., .284 Win. There is a big pressure jump between the .303 Savage and the .284 Winchester.

The big question is, are the rifles that chamber the .308 Win. and the .284 Win. stronger.

Siskiyou
In Doug Murray's Book "The Ninty-Nine" he quotes the Model 1899 .250-3000 Savage Rifle Catalog:
"The actual killing power of the .250-3000's 87-grain .25 caliber soft-nosed Spitzer bullet, driven at 3000 feet per second and with a theoretical energy of 1739 ft.-lbs., is proving equal to any possible requirements of the American big game hunter."

"Since this rifle came out in 1914 it has killed specimens of nearly every big dangerous game animal in the world. In America, it has killed Alaskan brown bear, polar bear, grizzly, moose, elk and caribou. In Asia, it has killed tiger and wild boar, and in Africa it has killed leopard, lion, rhino, hippo, buffalo, and elephant."

"The original Savage solid breech, so widely copied, insures absolute safety, and the locking of the entire rear end of the breech bolt against the solid metal of the receiver affords a tremendous margin of strength and the greatest durability, even with the pressures of the most modern cartridges of the highest concentration."

MAJOR CHANGES

A) 1954, serial number 900,000, a longer magazine carrier was adopted to accomodate the rimless .308, .243, & ,358 cartridges introduced in 1955-56.
B) 1960 Lever/Trigger lock safety changed to sliding safety on top tang. The lever & trigger can't be "slip-closed" to leave the gun uncocked, with the new trigger-sear design (w/gold trigger). 1971- Trigger changed back to blued finish.
At serial number 1,000,000 Drilled and Tapped for scope, not for tang sight.
C) 1965, Model 99-C Clip Magazine introduced. The first change to 99 frame in 66 years of production.
D) 1985- The Last Model 99 Lever Action Offered.

I hope I answered your question....The gun metallurgy remained, as near as I can tell, unchanged since its inception till the day they turned out the lights and shut down the line. Hey, all you big-bore hunters...Wanna find a Savage 99- .250-3000 before your next trip to Alaska?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
SavageT:
Answers my question.

Thanks Siskiyou

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great Thread!

Since the subject of brass for the .300 Savage has come up I'd like to ask another question in regards to the new Winchester bulk .300 Savage brass that is on the market. I just put up a large supply and was wondering about opinions on this stuff. I have seen posts bad mouthing the new bulk brass as cheap, un-inspected junk that only lasts one or two firings. Any truth to that?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts