Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone give me some information on the 308 ackley improved. and can a handi rifle be chambered for this, if so who or how is it done?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was under the impression that the 308 was already pretty much an "improved" profile, with minimum body taper. If you want another 100 to 150 fps, get the 30-06. THAT can be improved with less body taper. And in the Handi action, case length knows no limits. Just ask Mac!!!

Wally

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
+1 the 308 ackley = 30-06 in my book , the cool thing is you can ackley the 30-06 too hehehe :-D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Ackley cartridges aren't too slick in break open guns. If they're chambered properly, the factory case will be a crush fit in the chamber and the gun will be tough to close. Too loose and the cases break in half and the accuracy is poor. Best to save the AI's for bolt actions.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
And in the Handi action, case length knows no limits. Just ask Mac!!!
Why pick on me...I certainly don't have the Longest case in a Handi.... :)

Mac

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
COL knows no limit in a Handi....at least for most calibers!!! :-D

Tim

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
If you wanta talk case length, the 45-120 is king compared to the 308 and even the 30-06!!! :eek:

Tim

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really looking for somthing odd but with more puddin than the 308. for that much what is the largest 30 I can get in a handi

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
30-06 in a .30 cal, 35 whelen would be the next step up..... if you can find one...

Tim

·
Super Moderator
51,039 Posts
Sorry, misunderstood ya! Without getting into the magnums, which the SB2 frame wouldn't handle, the 30-06 is tops, the 30-06AI might work, but being rimless, it presents some issues in a Handi.

Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts