Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got info on a 300yd plus 308 Handi?

I'm sure that many of you have seen the pics that I have posted in other discussions of the 308 that I'm currently working on. I'll be honest in saying that my ultimate goal for this gun is a long distance shooter. I mean 300 plus yards. It is a confirmed deer killer at 200 yds and that was before the recent upgrades that I have done. Looking for suggestions on what to do to get her accurate at 300 and beyond.

List of upgrades so far:
Handi grip stock and forearm
I currently have a varmint forearm that I'm thinking about using for this build with a Harris bipod in consideration
Talley one piece scope mount
Vortex diamond back 4x16x44 scope w/ adjustable 2nd focal plane and moa crosshair
Have plans to either bed or float the forearm whichever forearm is used
Also thinking about a clamp on compensator for the barrel

Any other suggestions? I have seen some promising info on a Hornady Lt magnum in 150 grain for ammo.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trigger that is on this gun is smooth just needs to be lighter and someone on a different post suggested using liquid graphite from the stock retaining bolt hole to access the back of the trigger. Coat with this then work the action a few times then let it set for a few hours.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
First thing I would do is sit down on a bench set up a 100yrd target. Are you reloading or shooting factory ammo? You need to see if you can shoot bug holes at 100 what you have said about what you have done to rifle so far is a good start. What you need to do before you go to a bipod is sight it in at 100yrd where you are able to shoot sub 1" 3shot groups off a bag . Shooting and killing a deer at 200yrds ain't the same thing . If you want to get to long range you need to find the load the bullet or the factory ammo that gets you to sub 1" you got to find the 100yrd magic first or you will not be able to get to 200 300 400 600 your .308 may infact be able to shoot 4-6" @ 600 but until you find the sub 1" magic... Kurt

Reactions: neckisred

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing I would do is sit down on a bench set up a 100yrd target. Are you reloading or shooting factory ammo? You need to see if you can shoot bug holes at 100 what you have said about what you have done to rifle so far is a good start. What you need to do before you go to a bipod is sight it in at 100yrd where you are able to shoot sub 1" 3shot groups off a bag . Shooting and killing a deer at 200yrds ain't the same thing . If you want to get to long range you need to find the load the bullet or the factory ammo that gets you to sub 1" you got to find the 100yrd magic first or you will not be able to get to 200 300 400 600 your .308 may infact be able to shoot 4-6" @ 600 but until you find the sub 1" magic... Kurt
I currently am shooting factory ammo in my 308. Haven't been able to get out and get the zero set at 100 yet since I put on the new scope and mount. I used a BSA boresighter to align the new scope and mount to the rifle. I have factory 308 ammo in 165 grain. I also have some factory 7.62x51 135grain from Winchester. I also have some bullets from nosler of 125 grain but no way to reload myself. I have read of some promising info on a 150grain Hornady LT magnum. Since I will be switching barrels between my 308 and 223 for now I think that I'll float the forearm rather than bed it.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
It has been my belief that if you want precision long range accuracy you need to have dedicated frames there are to many things that you can dial in and shrink those groups that switching barrels can effect. I have had barrels that were problem childs some are very sensitive to forarm pressure, some had to be started w/forarm off, powders had to be worked up slowly, barrels had to be polished even having to fire fouling rounds some had to be shot with dirty barrels shoot them til the accuracy goes away. I am a firm believer in reloading even if it is just with a Lee loader going that route your consistancy round to round can be as close as 3-4 granuals of powder per round you control every aspect of the round. The 5# trigger thing does not bother me as long as it's smooth the most I have done as far as trigger job is with a flat fine stone and just to get it smooth and use the graphite I do have a couple of triggers that are nearing 2# but they started at 3+#'s. Your best accuracy comes from being surprised when you are squeezing and it goes BANG!! As far as I am concearned I don't think you can have to big of a library of reloading manuals both old and new and books PO Ackley's books Hornady's books old Handloader mags. I think if you asked the ? on here what books would you suggest for a new reloader you would get many suggestions from the boys here everybody has thier favorites. Kurt

·
23,973 Posts
308 will get it done. I had my ar10 out last year doing crop damage shooing. I was in a box blind on the edge of a field looking across the field where the deer usually come out. I glanced to my left along the woods line and saw two does come out. Took my range finder and they ranged 300 yards. By the time i got my gun set up in the window in that direction they walked back into the woods. I watched for a few minutes and left the gun there and started watching out the front agian. Wasnt but a couple minutes and the deer popped back out. I swung the chair around and put the scope on the bigger doe and shot. that deer folded right there. The other one ran into the woods for a few seconds and stepped back out and i put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and shot again and it leaped into the woods. I started walking down to gut the one and find the other and started thinking that they werent were i first saw them. I found the second deer about 25 yards in the woods dead. Drug it out to the edge of the field and went out in the field and got the other. Both were hit right behind the shoulder. I gutted them and left them there and went and got my truck to haul them out. Went up in the box blind to get my stuff and for grins shot the range finder at the one i could see and it was 395 yards. Those deer went in the woods and came out a 100 yard further down the field. I shot them fully thinking it was 300 yards and didnt hold high.

Had another eye opener this spring doing load developement. Had a new featherweight o6 i was working up loads for. Hadnt had a good working chrono in a few years. I had the load (max book load) with a 150 seirra and 4350 that my other 06 shot well. I was blown away when i shot it across the screens and it was only going 2690 fps. My load in my 20 in ar10 with a 150 beat that by 50 fps. I did some load developement later slowly working up looking for pressure signs and it took a case filled right to the rim with 4350 to get me 2925 with absoulutely no pressure signs. It was a good 3 full grains over max book load. Id bet most shooting factory 06 think they have a superior long range gun to a 308 and truth be told theres little to no differnce in factory 308 and 06 ammo. Im sure the 06 is downloaded by factorys and in the manuals to take into account it being shot in guns like the 742s and m1 grands. I found a whole lot more respect for the 308 then i had given it. Guys have no problem shooting deer out to 500 yards with a creedmore and truth be told the old 308 is probably a better gun at that range then the creedmore. Now would i intentionally shoot a deer at 500 with a 308? Probably not. But dont underestimate it. Its surely effective to 300 and even 400yards.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been looking at everything you have said before but it was just so much information that I didn't know where to start. That's why I decided to start with building the gun first. It has a lot of sentimental value first. It belonged to my dad who passed away just over a year ago and two of my daughters have used it. I've shot it some in it's previous set up that's when I found out that it must've had a hard lick sometime to the side of the scope and I've been wanting to build a shooter anyway so I guess that's when the bug bit me. It will all come together in time just needed some direction. So I won't be swapping barrels unless absolutely needed. Having said that, what's your thoughts on bedding or floating the forearm?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
308 will get it done. I had my ar10 out last year doing crop damage shooing. I was in a box blind on the edge of a field looking across the field where the deer usually come out. I glanced to my left along the woods line and saw two does come out. Took my range finder and they ranged 300 yards. By the time i got my gun set up in the window in that direction they walked back into the woods. I watched for a few minutes and left the gun there and started watching out the front agian. Wasnt but a couple minutes and the deer popped back out. I swung the chair around and put the scope on the bigger doe and shot. that deer folded right there. The other one ran into the woods for a few seconds and stepped back out and i put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and shot again and it leaped into the woods. I started walking down to gut the one and find the other and started thinking that they werent were i first saw them. I found the second deer about 25 yards in the woods dead. Drug it out to the edge of the field and went out in the field and got the other. Both were hit right behind the shoulder. I gutted them and left them there and went and got my truck to haul them out. Went up in the box blind to get my stuff and for grins shot the range finder at the one i could see and it was 395 yards. Those deer went in the woods and came out a 100 yard further down the field. I shot them fully thinking it was 300 yards and didnt hold high.

Had another eye opener this spring doing load developement. Had a new featherweight o6 i was working up loads for. Hadnt had a good working chrono in a few years. I had the load (max book load) with a 150 seirra and 4350 that my other 06 shot well. I was blown away when i shot it across the screens and it was only going 2690 fps. My load in my 20 in ar10 with a 150 beat that by 50 fps. I did some load developement later slowly working up looking for pressure signs and it took a case filled right to the rim with 4350 to get me 2925 with absoulutely no pressure signs. It was a good 3 full grains over max book load. Id bet most shooting factory 06 think they have a superior long range gun to a 308 and truth be told theres little to no differnce in factory 308 and 06 ammo. Im sure the 06 is downloaded by factorys and in the manuals to take into account it being shot in guns like the 742s and m1 grands. I found a whole lot more respect for the 308 then i had given it. Guys have no problem shooting deer out to 500 yards with a creedmore and truth be told the old 308 is probably a better gun at that range then the creedmore. Now would i intentionally shoot a deer at 500 with a 308? Probably not. But dont underestimate it. Its surely effective to 300 and even 400yards.
I understand what you're saying. I know full well of what a 308 is capable of. But like Kurt said earlier there's a big difference between killing deer that far and getting those tight groups consistently at those yards. I've witnessed this gun killing at distance but I want to see it put those tight groups consistently out there.

·
23,973 Posts
I have no experience with the crack open single shots. My ar10 will shoot sub moa at 300 though with a 150 sierra pro hunter flat based hunting bullet so the 308 round is sure capable if your gun is.

Reactions: Clare44man

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no experience with the crack open single shots. My ar10 will shoot sub moa at 300 though with a 150 sierra pro hunter flat based hunting bullet so the 308 round is sure capable if your gun is.
I believe the gun is capable. Just needed some help getting there and I needed some tips on how to get it there. To tell the truth about it this is actually a build to honor the memory of my dad and his service to our country.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has been my belief that if you want precision long range accuracy you need to have dedicated frames there are to many things that you can dial in and shrink those groups that switching barrels can effect. I have had barrels that were problem childs some are very sensitive to forarm pressure, some had to be started w/forarm off, powders had to be worked up slowly, barrels had to be polished even having to fire fouling rounds some had to be shot with dirty barrels shoot them til the accuracy goes away. I am a firm believer in reloading even if it is just with a Lee loader going that route your consistancy round to round can be as close as 3-4 granuals of powder per round you control every aspect of the round. The 5# trigger thing does not bother me as long as it's smooth the most I have done as far as trigger job is with a flat fine stone and just to get it smooth and use the graphite I do have a couple of triggers that are nearing 2# but they started at 3+#'s. Your best accuracy comes from being surprised when you are squeezing and it goes BANG!! As far as I am concearned I don't think you can have to big of a library of reloading manuals both old and new and books PO Ackley's books Hornady's books old Handloader mags. I think if you asked the ? on here what books would you suggest for a new reloader you would get many suggestions from the boys here everybody has thier favorites. Kurt
Been looking at the info on a 150grain superperformance from Hornady. SST I believe it was called. May have to put in a vacation day to go shoot some.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anybody with suggestions on the float or bed the forearm for long distance accuracy?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I think there are a couple of examples in the faq's. I have never done it. I have had thrugh the yrs a couple that others have done. You can do as you choose but I would get to shooting it to see where you are at. If you can not find bug holes @ 100 I am just trying to save you some work . Bottom line is you got to find the bullet or ammo 1st if you are worried about forearm shoot it with forearm removed off a bag, shoot it that way til you find the magic then put the forearm on and see what you got. For the most part all I have ever done or had to do was the "O"ring thing and make sure you don't crank the mount screw just snug it. Tim has some info in the faq's on fitting the forearm so you can slide a $bill or credit card refrigerator magnet under the barrel. Kurt

Reactions: treeslayer

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Kurt. I've been reading the stickys. I have read the one that you mentioned. Just got to get some time and get some shooting done. Right now as it is it hasn't been shot since I did all the modifications to it so basically I don't know what it will do right now. Looks like I may just have to use a vacation day or two to get some shooting done cause I haven't shot my Marlin either since I worked on it too.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
I got a theory on that to :rolleyes: if you get the time you can not shoot to many bullets;) Kurt

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got a theory on that to :rolleyes: if you get the time you can not shoot to many bullets;) Kurt
Lol. You know you've shot too many when you run out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would someone please let this shooter know that it won't do any good to bed or float the forearm on a break-open rifle! With a good bolt action rifle, floating the barrel will normally improve its grouping ability. Not so much with a Handi! Buy a box of Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo - either 168 BTHP or 175 BTHP and test the rifle's grouping ability. If you can cover 5 shots at 100 Yds. with a dime, you have a chance of making this rifle shoot at longer distances. Just so you know, there are long-range shooters out there that don't even bat an eyelash when they put out 4-5 thousand dollars for a long-range shooter! BTW, it took a couple of years to find a load that would duplicate the performance of the Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Would someone please let this shooter know that it won't do any good to bed or float the forearm on a break-open rifle! With a good bolt action rifle, floating the barrel will normally improve its grouping ability. Not so much with a Handi! Buy a box of Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo - either 168 BTHP or 175 BTHP and test the rifle's grouping ability. If you can cover 5 shots at 100 Yds. with a dime, you have a chance of making this rifle shoot at longer distances. Just so you know, there are long-range shooters out there that don't even bat an eyelash when they put out 4-5 thousand dollars for a long-range shooter! BTW, it took a couple of years to find a load that would duplicate the performance of the Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo!
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: treeslayer

·
Registered
744 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the advice.
i have two ultras in .243 that will put most rifles to shame. they are not bedded or floated, i got lucky with them. they are not 5k long distance target rifles but they will produce groups rivaling any thing less. dont be discouraged, but do find a load your rifle loves, that is the secrete to an accurate rifle.
also dont be surprised if it starts to string with a hot barrel. i like two shot groups with cooling time inbetween. how many deer are going to shoot with a hot barrel?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts