Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Would someone please let this shooter know that it won't do any good to bed or float the forearm on a break-open rifle! With a good bolt action rifle, floating the barrel will normally improve its grouping ability. Not so much with a Handi! Buy a box of Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo - either 168 BTHP or 175 BTHP and test the rifle's grouping ability. If you can cover 5 shots at 100 Yds. with a dime, you have a chance of making this rifle shoot at longer distances. Just so you know, there are long-range shooters out there that don't even bat an eyelash when they put out 4-5 thousand dollars for a long-range shooter! BTW, it took a couple of years to find a load that would duplicate the performance of the Federal Gold Medal Match Ammo!
The difference between what I'm doing and those 4 and 5 thousand dollar rifles that you mentioned is homemade versus store bought and it puts a little more emphasis on 1 shot 1 kill.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i have two ultras in .243 that will put most rifles to shame. they are not bedded or floated, i got lucky with them. they are not 5k long distance target rifles but they will produce groups rivaling any thing less. dont be discouraged, but do find a load your rifle loves, that is the secrete to an accurate rifle.
also dont be surprised if it starts to string with a hot barrel. i like two shot groups with cooling time inbetween. how many deer are going to shoot with a hot barrel?
That's what I been asking about cause like I said before the only thing that has been shot in it is 165 grain of whatever brand dad could find. I was just wondering if anybody else had done what I'm doing and what they had done to their rifles.

·
Super Moderator
51,410 Posts
This group was shot for a Postal Match (5-shots 100yds) by Mac11700 with (his at the time, I bought it from him!) his 30-06 Ultracomp using Federal 150gr Fusion ammo, forend was RTV bedded. It shot almost as good with my 200gr NP handloads.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
THAT's WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT bug holes once you make them you can work with the scope to zero. Buy a box of the ammo you think you want to use also buy a box of either heavier or lighter to try. Make sure you use good targets with the squares they are graduated so you can figure how many clicks to change point of aim with the scope . But 1st just shoot one ammo pick a spot on target and shoot 3 shots at that spot don't worry that the 1st shot might have hit 4" high 3" to the left aim for the same spot all three times if you get lucky all three may be very close to each other but 4" high and 3" left. But make sure you due your breathing and squeez on the trigger exactly the same all three shots try to surprise your self when it goes bang. What I do is get my breathing right look thru the scope at a point 1" or so under the spot I want to hit then slowly and lightly put down pressure on the butt which will move your point of aim up once you got the spot you want to hit perfect in cross hair squeez. The more you do this the more you concentrate if you do this enough times you will find you start putting pressure on the trigger you will get to know your trigger you will also be able to tell if you jerked or pulled the shot when you get a flier. I don't know if this is how the "pro's" do it but the the important thing is doing the same thing every time. I liked to be alone when working up a load with no distractions. Shoot your 3 shots leave gun cracked open on the bag walk down to target see what you got. I always walk as that gave the barrel a chance to cool down. Stay on the same ammo til you are sure what it is doing in your gun. Most but not always you should have a pretty good idea by 9-12 shots. Consistancy is the key. Kurt

Reactions: ncsHR2000

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
This group was shot for a Postal Match (5-shots 100yds) by Mac11700 with (his at the time, I bought it from him!) his 30-06 Ultracomp using Federal 150gr Fusion ammo, forend was RTV bedded. It shot almost as good with my 200gr NP handloads.

Tim
Last time I shot the gun I put 3 in a 3 inch circle but no where near grouped like that. That's when I found out that sometime before I got the gun it had taken a pretty good lick on one of the scope mounts. I guess that's when the bug bit me to build a shooter because it all started with wanting to upgrade the scope on my Marlin then finding out that pretty much anything passed 250 yards according to ballistics with it is a crap shoot. So the scope that I originally purchased for the Marlin moved to the Handi rifle and one thing led to another to what she is now. Just have to get some shooting done.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Yea 3" @ 100 is like a foot @ 300. To be honest my work with .30cal is limited before I got bit by the H&R bug I was shooting Encores had a 300 Whisper pistol as that was the only legal 30 cal you could use to hunt deer in IL doe only late season 10 select counties. Never did get it to shoot sub sonic though. Then I had a 300 Win Mag that took my buddy and I nearly 2 boxes of ammo to get it zeroed 2 shots at a time that dude kicked! But IL being shot gun only for deer . I did have a 30-30 H&R just because every one should have a 30-30 also a 30-06 Ultra comp mine shot 180gr remington ammo pretty good. I do have a 7.62x39 that I was going to reload for but I bought 2 boxes of 123gr Federal American Eagle that I got shooting under 1" 1st time out then the 2nd time I shot my 1st clover leaf with then I found 150 rounds of Lapua 123gr that I bought for the brass but the 4th 5th and 6th shot were all touching so I kind of figured I could not load better than that.
Maybe this will give you some more thought on what Factory ammo to look into. I have always had good luck with Sierra Match King boat tail bullets and Pro Hunter boat tails. And you can't go wrong with any Hornady VMax don't know much about the SST as the only one of those I tried was the 20ga slug and they did not shoot well out of my Ultra light slug hunter. I did see Sierra has a new Match King ammo that comes in 168gr HPBT and 175gr HPBT probly priced like they are coated in gold though. Kurt

Reactions: ncsHR2000

·
Registered
744 Posts
ncs, i will relate a short story to you, not an H&R but a savage 110 in 3006 i have had a long time.
after years of not messing with it, i set up a stand with over 300yds of shooting on a field. i thought, i should get out the 06, its what should be used here. i headed to the range with a half dozen different boxes of ammo including fed 150 bal tips that it loved years ago. i could not get a 2" group to save my life. new scope, new mount, new rings. no difference. i had about given up on it. one day i was talking to one of the land owners we were working on and we got on the subject, tune out he was an avid re loader and suggested i bring the rifle and try his reloads at his range.
to my amazement it shot a beautiful clover leaf. i said it wont do that again...........3 more identical groups, he says i thought you said that rifle werent accurate? those were 165 target rounds, later he loaded some barnes 165gr with the same charge and it shot the same clover leaf groups. there was never any thing wrong with the rifle, but the factory loads i was using, even though they were not cheap rounds, they were inconsistent. my point here is ammo is so much more important than most believe. my friend made a believer in reloading of me. since then i have found inconsistent ammo for every thing i own with the exception of my 243's favorite HSM 85gr hpbt. those seem to be fantastic and i have yet to get a flyer. every other factory ammo i have has made flyers that a couple years ago would lead me to believe some thing was off with the rifle.
sorry for the long post guys, just hoping this may help this member understand some things about ammo. hoping to get him thinking about what really contributes to accuracy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds to me like there is too much talking and not enough shooting on this particular gun. Set a big target up at 300,400,500 yards and see what it will do. You will be able to then tell if you want to spend the time and money necessary to accomplish your goal.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sounds to me like there is too much talking and not enough shooting on this particular gun. Set a big target up at 300,400,500 yards and see what it will do. You will be able to then tell if you want to spend the time and money necessary to accomplish your goal.
Exactly what needs to be done. Hope I can get a day soon to do just that.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Would someone please let this shooter know that it won't do any good to bed or float the forearm on a break-open rifle!
There have been an enormous number of posts on this forum from people who would differ with you on the NEF/H&R rifles. They can be tweaked to shoot down to a gnat's eyebrow at distance. Free-floating the barrel helps immensely. The o-ring under the forearm stud is a cheap and easy may to do this. Load development is also very important so off the shelf cartridges may or may not work well in a particular rifle.

~WH~

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
WAY, not "may"....

~WH~

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Pressure on the forend from the bipod or front rest needs to be consistent between each shot. This is one of the major differences between a bolt action and break action rifle.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
There have been an enormous number of posts on this forum from people who would differ with you on the NEF/H&R rifles. They can be tweaked to shoot down to a gnat's eyebrow at distance. Free-floating the barrel helps immensely. The o-ring under the forearm stud is a cheap and easy may to do this. Load development is also very important so off the shelf cartridges may or may not work well in a particular rifle.

~WH~
I understand completely about load development and that will come later but for now it has to be factory loads cause I don't have any reloading equipment myself and don't know of anyone close here that has 308 tools for their reloaders.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update on what all as far as factory loads that I am gonna try in this 308. I have already Winchester 7.62x51 135gr Sierra HP, Fusion MSR 150gr, Winchester Super X 180gr power-point, Remington Core-lokt 150gr PSP.

I just ordered today Federal Premium Gold Medal 175gr Sierra Matchking HPBT, Barnes VOR-TX 130gr polymer tip Spitzer BT, Hornady Superformance Match 168gr ELD, Hornady Match 178gr HPBT, Hornady Superformance SST 150gr. I think that this should be enough to find something that she really loves to eat.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
My money is on the 168gr . Kurt

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Pressure on the forend from the bipod or front rest needs to be consistent between each shot. This is one of the major differences between a bolt action and break action rifle.
AGREED!!!!!! The rifle is moved a lot when reloading. Your form must be about perfect. Anyone who shoots ragged one hole groups with a Handi rifle, is a rifle shooter in my opinion.............

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My money is on the 168gr . Kurt
I am thinking the same thing. Not just because of what that particular bullet is, but also because that is close to what her main diet has been since she was born.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
AGREED!!!!!! The rifle is moved a lot when reloading. Your form must be about perfect. Anyone who shoots ragged one hole groups with a Handi rifle, is a rifle shooter in my opinion.............
Me, myself I believe that there are only 3 types of shooters. 1 natural born shooters. I place my dad and younger brother here. Dad was also trained, refined, and honed by the US ARMY into a marksman in both rifle and pistol. Group 2 is people who can learn to be a shooter. This is where I would be. Group 3 is people who can never learn to be a shooter and would be better for themselves and everyone around them to stick with a scattergun. Give it some thought and ask yourself which group would you fall into? I also use these same 3 categories for drivers! Lol

21 - 40 of 78 Posts