Graybeard Outdoors banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So anyway. I took a couple days off work to get some shooting in and just my luck it has been raining off and on all day. More on than off. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Not gonna complain about the rain that's for sure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Finally got some shooting done today but not with my 308 Handi. They gave us the day off because of the rain. Well when the rain broke I decided to get some shooting in instead of all the other stuff that I have been doing instead of shooting. Got the Marlin 883 in 22wmr out and shot about 90 rounds thru it. Hadn't been shot since I did the trigger job and put on a better scope. Maybe I'll get to shooting the 308 Handi soon.
Posted some pics of the targets from today's shoot on my thread under marlin Firearms forum and the heading marlin 883 trigger if y'all wanna check them out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Finally some trigger time with my 308 Handi. Other than finding out that my gun is a dirty hoe, today's shoot wasn't very productive. All shots were taken at 100 yds. All targets except for the first one have 4 shots at target. Used a Caldwell zero rest gun rest with these shots in the prone position. Still haven't got a bench yet. All shots with point of aim at red dot except noted on the last target. First target has a combined shots of 15. The Remington Core lokt were probably the dirtiest shooting stuff I've seen in a while. Barrel swab between each change of ammunition. You'll see why I said that my gun is a dirty hoe. Couldn't get no grouping on anything except the Fusion. Didn't swab the barrel until an ammo change. Opinions are welcome. Used the Fusion to zero in new scope. Also managed to shoot one of the wire arms on the target stand that holds the target.

Colorfulness Handwriting Circle Recreation Precision sports
Rectangle Font Art Indoor games and sports Circle
Rectangle Font Circle Symmetry Recreation
Rectangle Indoor games and sports Sports Symmetry Circle
Rectangle Indoor games and sports Symmetry Circle Door
Indoor games and sports Rectangle Symmetry Font Circle
Indoor games and sports Recreation Rectangle Font Circle
Indoor games and sports Art Font Recreation Sports
Colorfulness Recreation Circle Art Pattern

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’d double check all the basics: optic mount good, was the rest functioning properly with the gun, was the forearm not torqued too tight? It may be a picky eater, but more often than not I find that I’ve missed something.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Winchester groups looked good. Federal blue box has a good reputation if you can find some. Hornady 178 Match only one hole? How many shots? One shot one hole groups are super! Two shots even better.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
BTW, cleaning will generally require a few fouling shots to settle down afterwards
That's what I meant by her being a dirty hoe. She won't group nothing till after about 5 or 6 shots. Didn't have enough time today to dial in all the different ammo.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Winchester groups looked good. Federal blue box has a good reputation if you can find some. Hornady 178 Match only one hole? How many shots? One shot one hole groups are super! Two shots even better.
4 shots on all targets except the first one which was dialing in the new scope. If you can't see them then they are off paper. When I get more time I will try to dial in some of the other ammo and see if anything gets a better group than the Fusions.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
One of the groups that I liked from today other than the Fusion group was the Winchester 7.62×51 135 grain x-tip. Not bad at all for a white box NATO round I think.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The Federal Fusion MSR 150gr is actually a round developed for semiautomatic weapon use. Seems to do pretty darn well in a single shot I think.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I don't remember who suggested using the graphite spray on the trigger assembly but just letting y'all know that it made a difference in the trigger on this 308. It was smooth before but now it's really smooth and rite at 2 pounds lighter than before.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Just did some backtracking and found out that it was Lt.Dave who suggested the graphite spray on the trigger assembly. Thanks Lt.Dave!!

Reactions: stewmagoo

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
One other thing for y'all to consider... once I got a good group with the Fusions... I didn't change anything on the scope settings except for the poa on the last target because I actually saw it shooting under the target and I wanted to at least try to get something on paper.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I had one FTF with the Fusions. 1 FTE with the Barne's. 1 FTE with the Hornady Superformance. 1 FTE with the Federal Premium.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i am surprised on the barnes, they grouped best in my savage 06. i have not yet had a ftf with any barnes ammo, but i have with just about every thing else you listed and terrible with rem. most factory ammo is a crap shoot now imo unless you spend 45+ a box.
have you used a copper solvent in the bore yet? i had a couple issues last year and it took care of some grouping issues i had. its worth a try.
on the fusions, my 06 would group ok but i didnt like the performance on game. others will chime in that they like them but i didnt.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Haven't used any copper solvent since the complete tear down and rebuild with the new improvements. This is the first outing since I completed the rebuild.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Guess I'd stick with the Fusions and tune the gun and the shooter.
Tune the shooter more than anything. I have to admit by the time I got through 50 rounds with this gun I was getting kinda of tired. Down the prone position to shoot then back up to reload and constantly with every shot making sure she got back into the rest the same way every time. Caught myself flinching more than once but always caught it before pulling the trigger.

Reactions: PHATINJUN

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Tune the shooter more than anything. I have to admit by the time I got through 50 rounds with this gun I was getting kinda of tired. Down the prone position to shoot then back up to reload and constantly with every shot making sure she got back into the rest the same way every time. Caught myself flinching more than once but always caught it before pulling the trigger.
That Fusion target isn't bad at all from a Handi rifle, prone, with factory ammo.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts