Graybeard Outdoors banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Look unless you got money falling out yer pocket there are many ways to make your self a shooting bench. I am not trying to be harsh. This is all expereance some of the stuff I used the first few yrs. 1st shooting bench you ain't gonna get it done on the ground!! Card table or even better Walmart folding table that is like 24"x48" viynal padded top that was my second bench 1st was a Walmart ajustable tv tray table you can make your own sand bags use dry sand a couple of your wifes (old) bath or hand towels so you can adjust the hieght I think I used 5or 10# bags of rice or beans then rolled towel for shooting bag you just need to make it solid 5 gal bucket for seat. You may have to tweek your seat for hieght cinder blocks or folding chair. Pull up some pictures of somebody shooting from a bench and you'll have an idea what your looking for don't clutter the bench 1 box ammo shooting bag and gun thats it just make sure every thing is as solid as you can make it. You got no idea how much stuff I got from Goodwill Salvation Army thrift stores. Like I said not trying to slam you but... what I see is a bunch of burned up ammo. Get some good copper solvent and clean the bbl until you see no more blue dbl check your scope base and your scope rings. Your gonna start over. If you got 40 or 50 60 brass you shot in your gun send them to me. I will put together a couple of loads for your gun. I got powder that needs to burn. May take me a few weeks I have never loaded for 308 but there is much help here and my loading manuals I got primers I will get some bullets and a set of dies. Might have you shooting bug holes by Nov. Never did this long distance before but it's doable I think:rolleyes::unsure: Kurt
Send brass to
Kurt Heckman
1424 Heron Drive
Machesney Park, IL 61115

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
With the money you have spent on a wide variety of factory ammo you could have bought a nice reloading outfit and both saved money and improved your groups. For a really basic unit that will load good ammo, one of these LeeLoaders Lee Loader 308 Win - Lee Precision and a powder scale will let you put together ammo that will exceed most factory stuff because you can taylor ammo to your rifle. That basic LeeLoader neck sizes only which is an advantage for accuracy work and makes brass last longer.

The H&R has a twist rate of 1 in 10. It will likely favor bullets of 165 to 180 grain weight. That's not set in stone but is likely where you will find the easiest success without spending a lot of time and money.

308 is my favorite caliber. If one of my 308's won't shoot 43 grains of 4064 with a 168 grain Sierra MatchKing bullet seated a few thousandths off the rifling I look first at myself (the usual culprit) and then at the rifle or pistol. I keep brass segregated for each gun and neck size only. I've found that my 308's ([particularly the H&R) shoot best with little to no copper fouling.

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks. I appreciate all input. This is a start up project. No bench, no rest till just the other day, no reloader for now. Gonna be running some more tests on the rest of what ammo I have but from what I've seen so far mine is liking bullet weight from 135 up to the 168 that you mentioned but from what I've seen in ballistic charts so far she's gonna have to get down to 125/130 to reach the ultimate goal of 500 yards or more.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Look unless you got money falling out yer pocket there are many ways to make your self a shooting bench. I am not trying to be harsh. This is all expereance some of the stuff I used the first few yrs. 1st shooting bench you ain't gonna get it done on the ground!! Card table or even better Walmart folding table that is like 24"x48" viynal padded top that was my second bench 1st was a Walmart ajustable tv tray table you can make your own sand bags use dry sand a couple of your wifes (old) bath or hand towels so you can adjust the hieght I think I used 5or 10# bags of rice or beans then rolled towel for shooting bag you just need to make it solid 5 gal bucket for seat. You may have to tweek your seat for hieght cinder blocks or folding chair. Pull up some pictures of somebody shooting from a bench and you'll have an idea what your looking for don't clutter the bench 1 box ammo shooting bag and gun thats it just make sure every thing is as solid as you can make it. You got no idea how much stuff I got from Goodwill Salvation Army thrift stores. Like I said not trying to slam you but... what I see is a bunch of burned up ammo. Get some good copper solvent and clean the bbl until you see no more blue dbl check your scope base and your scope rings. Your gonna start over. If you got 40 or 50 60 brass you shot in your gun send them to me. I will put together a couple of loads for your gun. I got powder that needs to burn. May take me a few weeks I have never loaded for 308 but there is much help here and my loading manuals I got primers I will get some bullets and a set of dies. Might have you shooting bug holes by Nov. Never did this long distance before but it's doable I think:rolleyes::unsure: Kurt
Send brass to
Kurt Heckman
1424 Heron Drive
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Kurt,
I'm sending you a PM on this to discuss further.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
With the money you have spent on a wide variety of factory ammo you could have bought a nice reloading outfit and both saved money and improved your groups. For a really basic unit that will load good ammo, one of these LeeLoaders Lee Loader 308 Win - Lee Precision and a powder scale will let you put together ammo that will exceed most factory stuff because you can taylor ammo to your rifle. That basic LeeLoader neck sizes only which is an advantage for accuracy work and makes brass last longer.

The H&R has a twist rate of 1 in 10. It will likely favor bullets of 165 to 180 grain weight. That's not set in stone but is likely where you will find the easiest success without spending a lot of time and money.

308 is my favorite caliber. If one of my 308's won't shoot 43 grains of 4064 with a 168 grain Sierra MatchKing bullet seated a few thousandths off the rifling I look first at myself (the usual culprit) and then at the rifle or pistol. I keep brass segregated for each gun and neck size only. I've found that my 308's ([particularly the H&R) shoot best with little to no copper fouling.
Too bad the loader you sent a link for is out of stock. I'll keep looking though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had never reloaded before 3 years ago, and was pretty hesitant due to safety concerns. I ended up picking up a lee classic turret (I think that’s the model, 4 hole version) used locally, and started with 38 special. All in with everything including components was maybe $250, and I made that back in savings after the first 1000 rounds (and could have done it faster using cast bullets etc.). I’ve loaded a lot more than a thousand rounds now, and haven’t had to slow my shooting down throughout the shortage. Currently load 38/357, 45-70, 30-06, and tooling up to reload 7.62x39. I also picked up a 20 gauge press as well. If I can reload, literally anyone can. Just pay attention and go slow, and you’ll turn out better ammo for your rifle than you can buy.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
NRA High Power Rifle shooters using the 308 typically use 135 grain bullets for 200 and 300 yards for less recoil during the offhand and rapid fire stages and the longer, more streamlined 168 or 175 grain bullets for 500 and 600 yards. The heavier, longer bullet stays supersonic longer. The transition from supersonic to subsonic causes the bullet to wobble a little and accuracy to be lessened.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Yes I understand the bullet wobble thing. That's why I abandoned my original thought on a long distance shooter. My original thought was to build the Marlin 883 in 22wmr that I have but after quite a bit of research I found out that after about 250 yards anything with it was gonna be pretty much a crap shoot.The wobble on it past 250 becomes so violent that it winds up being basically a football end over end tumbling to God only knows where.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
WLB every thing you said could of been written by me . Even though I have never loaded for the .308 I know I got some 4064 and a few others in the same range. And being that he has said he is not going to be hunting w/this rifle that opens up the Sierra 165 168 matchkings and I love using those. I am going to be loading his rounds on my Lee loader with new RGB Lee dies $19 that is the reason I wanted his brass. I have explained a way for him to figure out where his rifling is in his gun and if that don't work I will send him the stuff to do a chamber cast. I really have not explained why the light bullets won't work for what he wants. It is hard to get newbs to understand that the hype that is printed about the newest greatest flat shooting bullet won't go long for the reasons you state. Also I do know that the military has for yrs used the 30cals for the 600 meter shooting and they ain't shootin 125gn bullets most were probly 180-220gn. Way I see this going is my Lee loader is going to be sold also the dies and I have a couple of scales I have not used in yrs since I got my computer auto scale and I am keeping 1 of my 2 Lee turet presses and my Rock Chucker. I only used my Lee Loader for 41Mag and I got probly 350 loaded which is more than I will ever need now. I'll have him on a small payment plan by the first of the yr. Your input here is much appreciated. Kurt

Reactions: ncsHR2000

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Just go to a public range where they have steel targets set up to 500 yards. You'll be surprised at how your rifle shooting factory ammo can ring the gong once you learn to adjust for distance.

BTW, I only shoot from a bench for developing loads. All practical shooting is prone, sitting or offhand. Prone is the most stable and accurate position. Especially if you have a bipod.

Benchrest shooting is useful for load development and getting your rifle sighted in but unlikely you'll have a bench in real world hunting situations.

Offhand shooting is the most difficult position and the most common hunting situation. Everyone should know what they're offhand maximum range is with a rifle or handgun. Steel plates make this type of practice much more fun. Instant feedback on a hit or miss.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Got to get some research done on such a range near me. I'm fairly sure that the 2 that are close to me only reach out to 300 yards and both want you to be members of their clubs. I'm not sure if there is a "public" range near me with that kind of range.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Kurt, I don't know if this will help you in loading rounds for the OP and I can't say this will work in his rifle but using 168 grain Sierra MatchKings, I use 2.915 Overall Length for both my heavy barrel and my son's regular barrel. That's .115 over most loading book dimensions but it works for me.

·
Premium Member
4,575 Posts
Yes I don't think I ever loaded book oal for any of my H&R's worst one I had was my 357 mag that one just messing around before I did a chamber cast fitting a bullet in an empty case I had the bullet falling out. Ended up using DW 360 brass and not trimming it. But it shot good. I ordered 168gn MatchKings and the RGB dies from Natchez. I only ordered the 1 bullet thinking if we can't make it shoot bug holes with differant powders and such may have to go to 150 or 175+ and that's to big of a swing to get this gun lined out. I know what he is talking about w/public ranges and clubs I have a very nice club just across the WI border from me but when I was working I just could not put the time in to work off the high cost of membership. They did have sight in days before deer season 2 week ends and 2 Wed. $5 per gun they hated me I would show up with 3 dbl cases both weekends last yr I went they had put in a 600yrd range but in order to use it you had to put 3 shots in a 3" circle at 300yrds I was the only one who was on that range both saturday and sunday. LT Dave I know what your saying about the prone pos. this gun he is trying to shoot is going to be target only no hunting that is why I wanted to get him off the ground and on some kind of a bench bipods are nice for hunting I used one every time I called coyotes and the first few times I shot PDogs but once I built my wheeled shooting bench I was hooked back to the bag. This is gonna be fun I ain't worked up a new load in several yrs. Kurt

Reactions: treeslayer

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Today's trigger time brought to you by Winchester and the model 77 22lr using Winchester Wildcat 40gr ammo. Gotta get some more practice in while we are building up the load for the 308. Snuck in some trigger time today right after work and while the rain had stopped. All shots taken from off hand prone position. No rest. Factory open sights. Nope not even a peep.

Handwriting Circle Rectangle Recreation Symmetry
Colorfulness Circle Recreation Technology Precision sports
Circle Recreation Pattern Games Art
Colorfulness Circle Recreation Symmetry Rectangle

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 50 yard picture is about what things are starting to look like for me all the time, thinking it's maybe time for a new prescription.

Always good to get out shooting, I like bringing a 22 with me whenever I go so I can let barrels cool. For some reason I tend to struggle with open rifle sights more than pistol, probably just the amount of practice I've had with each. Maybe I'll grab a 22 barrel and spend some more time focusing on iron sights if I can make it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I'm having the same trouble with focus since I gave up my contacts for glasses and bifocals at that. It's getting better though.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
OP:
If you need some Sierra 155gr HPBT Match Kings for reloading, let me know, I have some I need to get rid of.
I appreciate the offer and will keep that in mind but from what I understand the loads that are being worked on are similar to competition loads used during NRA tournaments using the 168 grain bullet. You may be able to list them on the reloading classifieds if you really need to get rid of them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Was hoping to get some shooting done today but the weather just ain't gonna allow it.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
All shots taken from off hand prone position.
Prone position is lying down. Off hand is standing on your two feet like God wanted riflemen to do....

The four basic positions, starting from the most stable to the least stable, are prone, sitting, kneeling and off hand.

Get, or make a snap cap and practice dry firing at a spot on the wall (a dark tack works well as a target) every day. It doesn't take much, ten or twenty "shots" per session. Just make sure the rifle is unloaded, then check it again! making a snap cap is easy; punch the primer out of an empty case, then fill the pocket with silicone caulking. Some folks glue an eraser in instead of the caulking. You just need something to cushion the firing pin. The dry firing will do wonders for your shooting, as long as you consciously maintain proper form. It will also help smooth the mechanics of the gun and won't hurt it.

~Kees~

Reactions: ncsHR2000
61 - 80 of 91 Posts