Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Buckeye Blackhawk (32H&R and 32-20) and just added a Marlin 1894CL in 32-20. I would like a hunting bullet that I could cast for both and load rather warm. My woods hunting for deer and small hogs can be better measured in feet rather than yards as 50 yards is a REALLY long shot on game on my property. Do you have something that would work in both at the upper end of the modern pressure scale for 32-20? Ideally, I'd like to try a small batch before investing in a mould, but would be fine with spending the money on your recomendation if you have something that you know works. I really don't want to use a jacketed bullet, or one designed for hunting steel, but those seem to be the most prevalent. Thank you for your time.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
I recommend my FN in 120 grains up to 140 grains.

A 120 grains can be safely loaded to about 2000 fps, I actually went to 2100 fps,which is mighty deadly, but cases stretch precisely the same as head space and with the cases I uee, break at about .030 of stretch. So I tightened the headspace on my Marlin till there is no headspace, and can run one case with 30 hot rounds and it's still good, with no stretch. One should leave a little space though so the action closes easily, or don't worry about case loss and load your 'big game' hunting loads to the wall. For playing around work up a load with 296 or H110 (to keep pressures low) until just below the pressure which stretches your brass, and it will live for many reloads. You should be able to get 1600 fps with no stretch using the slower powder. It is wise to use magnum primers to insure uniform ignition as the cases will have a lot of extra space with the light loads.
Use a gas checked bullet if you want power.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts