Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it was asked on here before but I can't find it. Has anyone tried the 32 H&R cartridge adapter made by MCA? I am thinking about ordering one for my 30-30 Handi rifle for a lower recoil plinking round. I reload and would probably be using .308 caliber 110 and 125 grain projectiles, plated and powder coated. I have over 60 pieces of brass and no other use for it.

The inserts only cost $20 and I would like to hear from someone with first hand experience with them as far as accuracy and ease of use.
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

·
Super Moderator
51,495 Posts
See the Shotgun Adapters link in the FAQs, BB uses the McAce 32H&R adapter in his 30-06, IIRC there are 6 or more pages in that discussion, should be some good info there.

Tim

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
My 2c
100-115 cast bullets intended for the 32 handguns shoot WELL loaded in 30-30 cases with enough powder to make the old 32-20 equiv. load (ie, 1250ish fps) in our three 30-30s. As long as I can make a download in the case a rifle is chambered for I will not use an adapter, there is no need, the case is the 'adapter'. Th lead bullets may need to be sized down a tad, if too large a dia. the case neck can expand too much to chamber or extract well; it is easy enough to do. Brief testing years ago with some 32ACP jacketed I had laying around worked well too (maybe .312 dia.?) in one rifle, too tight a chamber neck in the other (had 2 at that time). Ive fired hundreds of the 115 lead SWC intended for the 32 S&W Long as a small game/varminter for close range, but mostly plinking, playing and testing.
That said, I have concluded that for me a 'rifle type profile' bullet in the 120-130ish weight is optimum in the 30-30 as an all rounder (because I have plenty of smaller calibers for small game/varminter close range).
Now if I wanted to shoot 30-32 cal. bullets in my 45-70 or a shotgun Id be looking at an 'insert barrel', not a chamber adapter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have been loading .32 pistol boolits ln 30-30 too. 115 gr .313 pc sized to .311

Nice pleasent plinking load in my 30-30 Topper.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A .32 round ball sized to .309 in a Lee sizer works really well at about 1250 fps in my 30-30s. A little dab of liquid Alox takes care of any leading problems.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had thought about a 32 H&R stub and I was wondering if this would scratch the itch and save me a few bucks. I had even thought about selling the 30-30 Handi since I still have the Model 94 I bought when I was 20 years old and using the funds for the stub. That is why I was wondering about the accuracy of the insert. (Believe it or not, the old Winchester is actually one of my most accurate)

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Problem with a chamber adapter is that the bullet has to go through a very loose part of the barrel that is intended to have the neck of the larger cartridge filling it, so the bullet will go from a short piece of barrel with a .313 diameter (in the chamber adaptor), then to a half inch of barrel that is about .340, (the neck of the rifle barrel) then to a throat and lead to .308. Not really a good way to do things. But the bullet will come out the other end of the barrel and go some where and do something. Larry

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Well Troy, if you can wait about a month until I get back from Arizona, I have a piece of 32 barrel and a reamer for a 327 Federal, I will make you one up and you can tell us how it shoots. Larry

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gcrank1 said:
For reloaders who can go up or down in bullets or velo the chamber adapter may be 'a solution to a non-existant problem'?
I often take my grand children out shooting. It helps to be able to show them the little bullet they will be shooting compared to the normal size bullet. Even if you load down, they still see a large round going into the rifle and they are much more reluctant to shoot and more likely to flinch. I also have a lot more small pistol primers than I do rifle primers at this time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trotterlg said:
Well Troy, if you can wait about a month until I get back from Arizona, I have a piece of 32 barrel and a reamer for a 327 Federal, I will make you one up and you can tell us how it shoots. Larry
Sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I have not had a chamber adapter for 32 but I have had a chamber adapter for 30-06 to 7.62x 39. It worked well although the chamber of my Handi-Rifle was slightly larger which made it difficult to keep the adapter in the chamber, so I really had to slather on the blue thread locker to keep it in. Then I like to have never got it out. While I was using it, it worked good!

BW

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts