Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the 32 H&R Mag barrel done. After I parkerize it and put a box of shells down it I'll put it up on the classified's. It finished at 23 3/4 long, it is 5 lands and grooves with a left hand twist. Interestingly the lands are wider than the grooves are. Barrel is from a British 303, the rifleing is very nice in it and I cut an 11 degree target crown on it. I only have cast bullets to shoot, so I will post a picture when I get the scope base on after it is parkerized and let you know how it shoots. Next project is a 14 Cal something. Larry

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
I'm confused. If you just finished it as a project gun why are you planning on selling it right away? If yo are in business to do this then our classifieds is NOT the place to do it unless you wish to become a sponsor. If you're not in business to do this then why would you plan to sell it immediately after doing it? Something smells rotten in this deal.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
GB at this point I am not sure I understand your rule about buying or selling firearms on discussion forums? Dale

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Simple. The rule on Discussion forums it YOU DO NOT DO IT.

But on the Classifieds the rules are you can sell stuff you've held for your own personal use that you no longer wish to have for free BUT if you run a business you CANNOT sell the merchandise of that business anywhere on the site without becoming a paid sponsor. The classifieds are NOT here for folks to buy and sell at a profit on. Anyone doing that is "in business" and must pay to do so.

My question was in that regard. It reads to me like he made the barrel just for the purpose of selling it. That's NOT what the GBO Classifieds are for.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
GB no disrespect intended at all. I would really just like a little clarification on this because it seems a little fuzzy to me now. Folks damn it I'm sick and tired of having to say this and am not going to again. Tonight alone I've had to delete two attemps to sell firearms on the Discussion Forums ALREADY and am not thru reading YET.

Starting Tomorrow Sep. 29, 2007 I don't care who you are or what your status is on this site:

IF YOU POST A WANT TO BUY OR OFFER TO SELL OR TRADE A FIREARM ON ANY ONE OF MY DISCUSSION FORUMS YOU ARE BANNED FROM THIS SITE FOR LIFE. AM I CLEAR?

If you fail to read this and still get caught TOUGH.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Dale, here's the part of the rules Bill is referring to, it's posted in every Classified forum....

Use of this forum is free to individuals selling personally owned merchandise. This is defined as items you have held for some period of time which was acquired FOR USE BY YOU but which you no longer want. It DOES NOT include items you bought for the purpose of resale.

All ads must specifically list the items for sale or trade and list a sell price or what you wish to trade for. If a buy ad be specific in what you want to buy.

Specifically NOT INCLUDED in the definition of personal use items are any items you have obtained just for the purpose of selling with the hope of making a profit.[/color] However if you buy something say a set of TC frame, barrels, scopes just to get a few of them and have some others you do not wish to keep you may make arrangements with me via e-mail to post the surplus here whether a profit results or not. Such permissions will not be given more than once per month.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,121904.msg1098415188.html#msg1098415188

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't normally weigh in on these kinds of threads but it seems to me  the re-barreled handi was built to sell. I know if i went though all that work I would not sell it .. Dale  nobody build a project gun with that much thought and construction time to sell it after a box of shells. Unless you are in that business and there are some ATF issues that can surface, if your not in the business.
This is not an atempt to take sides i'ts just how I see it

·
Premium Member
6,604 Posts
Graybeard said:
I'm confused. If you just finished it as a project gun why are you planning on selling it right away? If yo are in business to do this then our classifieds is NOT the place to do it unless you wish to become a sponsor. If you're not in business to do this then why would you plan to sell it immediately after doing it? Something smells rotten in this deal.
GB

Larry did a 30 carb. barrel some time ago and sold it on e-bay and got all kinds of flack form some members here ;D for not giving them the first crack at it . He enjoys doing these kind of projects and just sells them to re-coup the money spent to fund the next project from what i have seen , Machine work is to him as wildcats are to me ( can i do it ) kind of a thing .

stimpy

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last night I responded to GB's post and it was administratively removed. I've done three of these projects and posted detailed how to's with pictures on two different methods. This board relies on people providing free knowledge and articles, I have done two good how to do a stubbing project for GB, in the print world he would be paying me for them, I do it just for fun and to help others learn, just like Quick and many others do. I don't keep them because my fun is in the building of them. I've never made a penny off any project, I've sold on the classifieds at bargin prices just to help out, just like I intended to sell this at a bargain price. GB: look up my stubbing articles and then think of how many banner clicks I helped you get. Larry

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
Wasn't removed by Admin so must have been removed by a Moderator instead. There are only three Admins on this site myself and the two owners of the site. Of the three I'm generally the only one who does any removal of posts and I did not.

Dale no one but us three admins can ban a person from the site and we not Moderators make all such decisions so your comment while understandable in trying to enforce rules isn't something you can do. But yes if we find folks intentionally posting Firearms for sale/trade on the Discussion Forums banning is the usual outcome of it.

Now in the case of this thread what trotterlg posted in his initial post to this thread was not an offer to sell but merely a comment that later he intended to do so. That's not a problem. What is a problem is when a person posts what should be on the classifieds a bonafied attempt to sell or trade an item.

Making a post saying "hey guys I'm looking for XXXX and wonder if any of you guys have any idea where I can find one" is not an ad and not a problem. It does however often lead to folks posting trying to sell them something and that not the original post is a violation of the rules.

trotterlg if things are as you say what you need to do is to contact me via PM or e-mail and request permission to deviate from the rules and post it for sale. Most of the time when someone asks permission in advance to deviate slightly from the rules permission is granted. We're not real hard asses but the rules are in place for a good reason and if what someone is planning to do is not in accordance with the rules seeking permission is far far preferable to asking forgiveness later. To be honest we're not real forgiving of rules violations but are pretty easy in granting deviations of some of them if we're asked up front. I just need to know the circumstances so a decision can be made in such cases.

Deviations to sell ammo or firearms on the Discussion Forums IS NEVER EVER GIVEN but we're pretty easy to get along with regarding the Classifieds so long as we know in advance you have what you consider a "special circumstance" that technically violates the rules for such sales as would be the case in your situation here trotterlg just ask and then when permission is granted so state in your ad it has been and then no one should question it.

Addendum: trotterlg I just looked and there are no recent posts by you in the Trash Can. What that means is neither Moderator nor Admin deleted any posts by you in the last week or ten days. I have to assume therefore the post you mention just went into cyber space. Now if only a part of a post is missing then that doesn't go to the trash can so that might have happened but no post of yours was deleted. If you try to post and someone else posts while you are typing it tells you that when you try to post rather than posting your comments. If you fail to notice and just leave without again telling it to post you lose the post. Been there done that several times before I figured it out. Just a quirk of this software.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
Larry, I deleted no posts last night, if you replied to this thread last night, it was never completed, if it was deleted it would still be in the trash can, and it's not there. If you tried to post when Dale, Bill or I was posting, you got this page:

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post. [/color]

If you didn't notice and just closed your browser, the post wasn't made. :'(

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Graybeard,

I for one would like to thank you for your last post, that you will consider letting this item go to the classifieds. As I see it Larry (trotterlg) has been contributing to this forum, and it is people like him that keep me coming back for more. I understand your rules and why you have to enforce them. I also think that it all boils down to the word PROFIT in your rules.

Specifically NOT INCLUDED in the definition of personal use items are any items you have obtained just for the purpose of selling with the hope of making a profit.[/color]
All the time invested, the cost of his donor barrel for the stub, barrel blanks, machining work, parkerizing, other materials, not to mention the excellent pictures and informative how-to information he provides, there is no possible way he could be making a profit IMO. I feel he is providing this forum a service, and this is what he does for a hobby/fun. Sharing that experience with us is priceless. When Larry is doing a project, that is the first thing I want to look at when I come here, and by the number of hits his project posts receive I have a lot of company.

As stated earlier, some of the guys were upset that he did not sell one of his earlier projects here. I don't want a .32 H&R Mag, but I know there are several handiholics foaming at the mouth to own one.

Whether the barrel sells here or not, matters not to me, but I hope that we can continue to benefit from his future projects.

Thanks Larry, can't wait to read about your new project.

·
Administrator
26,175 Posts
I really don't do a lot of reading on this forum. In fact I pretty much never open and look at any forum anymore. I use the "What's new since last visit" option and that way I see a list of all the threads which have new posts since I last visited the site. I then look only at those which have an interest to me or which based on subject or something known to me makes me think I should look at it. Generally if I've posted to a thread or if I've noticed or someone has reported a problem I'll look. Otherwise mostly I don't.

I wasn't even aware of the threads by him to be honest.

As I said most such rules are there for a purpose but if we're asked in advance and allowed to understand the why of the request we grant them. So far he's not yet asked. Perhaps that's because the project is not yet completed and ready to be moved to another owner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts