Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Stand for the Flag. Kneel at the Cross!
1,444 Posts
He does, see the links I posted, maybe he can post a follow up with the loads he said he'd post. Hopefully he's feeling better now, he hasn't posted for a while, but he's been online which is a good sign.

Tim
Yes. He's doing better. Some of his medications were off again but doing better now. Had a conversation with him the other night.

Reactions: quickdtoo

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
I much prefer the .32-20 to the .32 H&R "Magnum". I have three 32-20s. A Uberti Cattleman revolver, a Marlin 1894 CL levergun, and a Larry Trotter Special Handi. The revolver gets cast lead loads which I like running just sub-sonic, 1000+ fps which is close to the top end of the .32 H&R. The levergun gets 100 gr. XTPs at 2051 fps. The load I like best is for the Handi: 125 gr. Sierra Prohunter .311 Spitzer, 15.8 gr. H110, 2060 fps. This is the one I like best and use most. Of course, the Handi will shoot all three above. You can load the .32-20 up or down, but you don't have too much choice with the H&R.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,718 Posts
I shipped mine out to California if I remember right I used 100gn bullets and [email protected] about 1850 fps. Kurt

Reactions: quickdtoo

·
Registered
183 Posts
…You can load the .32-20 up or down, but you don't have too much choice with the H&R.
Of course you do, what an odd comment to make by a supposed .32 caliber expert. I’ve loaded both calibers for many years. Depending on the platform, the .32-20 has a small power advantage due a slight capacity advantage, but it’s not enough to matter for most uses. In rifle barrels they are, for all practical purposes, equals. The .300 BO (have one of those too) has more capacity than either and thus has more power, but for subsonic loads all are fully capable. Twist rate matters more than case capacity if you want to launch heavy bullets.

·
Premium Member
9,733 Posts
Of course you do, what an odd comment to make by a supposed .32 caliber expert. I’ve loaded both calibers for many years. Depending on the platform, the .32-20 has a small power advantage due a slight capacity advantage, but it’s not enough to matter for most uses. In rifle barrels they are, for all practical purposes, equals. The .300 BO (have one of those too) has more capacity than either and thus has more power, but for subsonic loads all are fully capable. Twist rate matters more than case capacity if you want to launch heavy bullets.

.32H&R Magnum
Reloading Data Center

The Hornady Reloading Manual lists the .32 cal.100 Gr. XTP at over 2000 fps. That is the load I shoot in Marlin 1894CL. My best load for the Handi is the 125 gr. Sierra Prohunter .311 Spitzer 2060 FPS, Please Show me a comparable load for the .32 H&R.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts