Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from a gunshow and could not resist buying this little beauty. I know that .32's aren't worth much as a defensive round, but the price was right and the previous owner threw in pacmayer grips, loading dies, brass, and some cast bullets. Does anyone know when the model 30-1's were made? Can't wait to get some loads made and get to the range.

Wallynut

·
Registered
94 Posts
Enjoy.

This is the wrong 32 S&W Long to load in the fashion that many from Himmelwright through Skelton suggested, but I think you'll be pleased with it as an accurate, light, knock-about-in-the-woods type revolver.

Bob

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,

I'm not sure about your reference to "Himmelwright through Skelton", but I know that this is no power house type round. I just figured it would make a nice plinker for the indoor range during winter. I'm finding that loaded ammo is not as easy to find. Only one shop had anything.

Wallynut

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
S&W .32

Wallynut

I have a nice little 3" S&W .32. I've loaded both Speer and Hornady 90 gr WCs, Hornady 90 gr SWC, Lee 90 SWC and some cast 118 gr bullets. Not tried anything jacketed or really tried to hype it up for defense. It is a very sweet "trail" gun as you hardly know you have it on. Have two HKS speed loaders to carry extra reloads. Works great for small pests and the occasional "rogue" pinecone. Also a lot of fun on indoor ranges or in the garage. I've found Bullseye powder to be the best with all the above bullets for what I use them for. Mostly I use 3 gr with the Lee or Hornady 90 gr SWC for a little over 900 fps. 1.9 gr with the WCs works great indoors.

Have fun with yours, they're great little revolvers. I'm still looking for one of the 4" or longer barreled ones with adjustable rear sight. Not really sure why as I have a wonderful Rugger SS .32 H&R (first run) but I'd take the S&W anyway.

Larry Gibson

·
Registered
56 Posts
Smith & Wesson Model 31

Post-1957 Smith & Wesson Model 31 Regulation Police revolvers chambered for the .32 S&W Long and .32 Colt New Police are actually stout little revolvers and will perform happily with loads which you wouldn't dare use in an earlier .32 Hand Ejector.

I have one of these with a 4" barrel which I carry all the time as a kit gun, and find it much more effective than a .22 LR.

My favorite handloads use the Saeco #325 90-gr. Keith-style SWC bullet, cast of wheelweights, sized .313", tumbled in Lee Liquid Alox, in Remington cases with WSP primers:

Min. Start 1.8 grs. (factory equivalent 720 f.p.s.) Alliant Bullseye
Maximum 2.6 grs. (modern solid-frame only 850 f.p.s.) Alliant Bullseye
Also good is 3 grs. of W-W231 with the same bullet.

If you want an expanding bullet for varmint use which will shoot to point of aim with the iron sights, use the 85-gr. Hornady XTP JHP with either 3 grs. of Bullseye or 3.5 grs. of W-W231. Do not exceed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts