Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...please talk me outta this one. I'm thinking of a BLR take-down in .325WSM. Any thoughts on the cartridge??? I certainly don't NEED another rifle, but, I guess I need another rifle. I handload BTW so ammo cost is not a consideration. I have lotsa rifles in lotsa calibers so I'm not trying to fill any particular niche except to get a new rifle that's a little different than those I own.

What do you think?????

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
drdougrx said:
HI All,

Hope Turkey day was fun!

Just jumping back into this thread. Dale...use what you like.....Spanky...you too. I think the 243 is marginal and that's my opinion. Shot placement is critical and the bullet is as well in such a small caliber. I just think that new hunters would be better off with a larger caliber which is more forgiving. I know, I know, the 243 is great for young shooters and others who can't handle recoil, as is the 308 or 270, etc. Actually, I am a terrible shot. Sometimes I need more than one shot to anchor game, I'll have to work on this.
Not meaning to pick on you, but based on your post from another thread, I don't think a heavy recoiling magnum is going to help your marksmanship at all.

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Greg!!

Thanks for your concern. My marksmanship is just fine! I shoot weekly and always include my Brown Precision Ruger 300win, my REM BDLSS in .375HH and my Ruger #1 in 45/70 at least once a month alternating with my Rem LVSF in 223 and AR, 7x57, etc. My recorded shot to kill ratio is 1.8 shots for 42 animals killed which include 3 of my 8 hogs that went over 300lbs, a bison, Canada moose, red deer and slew of deer of varying species from all over the US of A along with a buncha antelope, goats, sheep and black bears.

Just some self flagellation!!! I'm my own worst critic!!!!!

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I have an A-bolt in 325wsm and am very pleased with it from my lead sled with factory 220grn power points i get just barely over an inch with 3 shot groups at 100yds . I don't have a blr in that caliber yet i have had blr's in 300win a blr lightning and SS lightweight in 270 wsm and currently i own an old blr 81 in 358win and all of them have shot/shoot well under 2 inches 100yds with factory ammo . If they ever make that take down model in SS i'll probably pick one up myself. Justin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts