Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my 338-06 A-Square Ultra barrel today, cut rifling looks excellent, I'm impressed with Wayne York's work, to say the least!!! He also bead blasted and reblued my 45-120 BC barrel, it looks fantastic now along with the remarked caliber designation!!! Just might be at the range later this week shooting the 338-06 with 250gr Sierra Gameking BTSPs and 230gr CT/Nosler Failsafes. :wink:

While there, we discussed reboring/rechambering a 38-55 Target barrel to 405 Winchester, he said it's a real popular caliber and he's done several, he just did one in a Ruger #1. He said he'd be glad to do the 38-55 Target. On my way home, I stopped at Sportsmans Warehouse, they had a Target in stock, so I bought it, called Wayne and told him I was on my way back to his shop to leave the barrel with him for him to have his way with it!!! It's there and I'm waiting again.....oh what fun!!! Now I need to start ordering dies, brass and bullets.......Christmas again!!! :-D :-D :-D

Tim

·
Registered
922 Posts
Dang!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Quick your gonna have to slow down on the collection or i'm never gonna catch up with you. If your gun safe gets too full don't be afraid to send some of them my way so i can take care of them for you. If you want me to name some i can..........30-06 ultracomp, 338-06.....and any others you want to send my way. I can't wait to hear the results. How long did you have to wait for the 338-06?

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the 25-06 barrel to him on May 6, it was done last Tuesday, June 14, but I couldn't get down that day, so I picked it up today. He couldn't guarantee the 405 Winchester would be done as fast cuz he's got several others he's working on right now like Mt3030's, Marv's and Mac's, so I gotta wait for those and others in front of me....Plus he's selling his home and moving to Pendleton, OR, might be a bit of a wait if that happens in the mean time, but I'm not in any hurry, he does excellent work, so it's worth being patient... :wink:

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=62815&highlight=gunsmith

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Report on work

Thanks Quick, Thanks for the report. Sounds good, He has had my
barrel a month today. Maybe in a month I'll get barrel back.
Then I'll be one Happy Ol' Dog :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Marv.

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marv, he didn't have good news on your barrel....he hasn't given up yet, but it didn't sound too good. :cry: I'd send him an email for an update, maybe by the time ya get an answer his latest attempt to clear the bore will have been successful....

[email protected]

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Hey Quick
Can I borrow your check book. It's obviously got more in it than mine. :grin:

There won't be many calibers you don't have soon. Keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it looks like the brass will get shipped to me about the same time the barrel gets done, Buffalo Arms just called, they'll get it in the end of July, everyone is out of it, resembles the 204 Ruger brass situation, cept there's none available on ebay!! Did get some 350gr .411" X-bullets ordered from Barnes though. :wink:

Tim

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Quick. Any up close photos of the new barrels?

·
Banned
802 Posts
Just checkin'. I would otherwise object to the characterization of the .333 OKH as a "Weatherby Magnum
Know what you mean. I for one object to weatherby naming the plain old vanilla 338/06 as a "Weatherby" be it "magnum" or any other.

Then again, I'm just a grump! :)

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here ya go Mike....

Tim

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
Thanks Quick.

Like the re-marking, always worry about that if I tried a reaming at home. I would be the only one to know the new cartridge designation.

Since the 338-06 Weatherby Magnum conversion, was a re-bore and re-chamber. (I don’t know much about this re-bore and re-chambering stuff.) Does it matter which barrel he starts with, say a heavy barrel 223 Rem (smallest chamber area and smallest bore) to almost anything else? Heavy Bull Barrel would give him more metal to work with.

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GrampaMike said:
Thanks Quick.

Like the re-marking, always worry about that if I tried a reaming at home. I would be the only one to know the new cartridge designation.

Since the 338-06 Weatherby Magnum conversion, was a re-bore and re-chamber. (I don’t know much about this re-bore and re-chambering stuff.) Does it matter which barrel he starts with, say a heavy barrel 223 Rem (smallest chamber area and smallest bore) to almost anything else? Heavy Bull Barrel would give him more metal to work with.
Mike,

I asked Wayne about shooting 45-70 in the 45-120 chamber, he said it would cause no harm, there would just be a big performance drop due to the longish throat. It would be no different than shooting 38 special ammo in a 357 Maximum, just a loooong jump to the throat.

Actually the magnum designation is a Cabela's misnomer that I capitalized on.... :lol: I've not seen it listed by that name anywhere else, the head stamp is Weatherby 338-06 A-sq.

There was no rechamber in the 25-06 to 338-06 conversion, just a rebore and a new throat cut. The 223 barrel would work fine just as long as the conversion caliber you choose is larger in all dimensions. IIRC, Fred used a 223 barrel for his 257 roberts Ultra.

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/id13.html

·
Super Moderator
50,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Uh oh, I guess LC and smokinjoe have a bone to pick with Weatherby!!! :-D :-D :-D

Tim :wink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts