Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in finding a load for a 338 to be used on elk. The info I'm most interested in is 1. bullet weight 2. bullet design (spitzer, soft point, solid ect. 3. bullet brand 4. what powder you have had good luck with.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use Nosler's 250 grain partition, or the partition gold variation thereof, with IMR-4350 powder, W-W cases, and Federal's 215 magnum primer. I've never wounded and lost an elk with that load. I've never recovered one of those 250s either. They always expand and shoot clean through no matter what the angle. Works for me.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
brasskeeper said:
Im interested in finding a load for a 338 to be used on elk. The info I'm most interested in is 1. bullet weight 2. bullet design (spitzer, soft point, solid ect. 3. bullet brand 4. what powder you have had good luck with.
.I am now loading the Barnes 210 gr. TSX with 74.3 gr. of IMR-7828SSC for 2,881 fps. This is out of my old pre-64 "Alaskan" M70 with it’s 26” barrel. As a safety precaution start under the powder charge on any load you get given to you. I always start 10% under and work up. Lawdog
:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
.338 load

brasskeeper,

I have found that I get the best velocity using IMR 4831 in my .338. I'm getting 2880 fps. with a 225 grn. Nosler Partition. Each rifle is an individual, and your results may vary considerably. Any weight of the Nosler Partition bullets are good choices, as are the Barnes bullets, although my rifle did not like them.

Try some of the "tried and true" varieties in your rifle to see what shoots best in it. Power is not an issue with a .338. It is an Elk slammer!

Best of luck, and enjoy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like IMR 4831 with 210 nosler partitions. We load a grain or two off max listed in the nosler book and achieve great results. I hope they shoot as well in your rifle as they do my buddies tikka.My .340 weatherby likes em too!
The Elk just hate that bullet!

·
Registered
33 Posts

I have been range testing the hornady interbond, 225grain w/ 69 grains of h4350. shoots right around 1" all day long. I have been very impressed with this load. I usually shoot noslers, but decided to try something different. The hornadys are on 30$ per 100. If you like to practice with your hunting load this can save you some $. Good luck.

chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts