Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 35 Whelen already. Love it. My favorite cartridge right now. Was looking around and stumbled across this intriguing gem. Does anyone have any real world experience with this cartridge? How close in performance is it to the 358 Norma Mag since that appears to be the next power step up from Whelen in the 35 cal line of cartridges? A poor man's magnum has its appeal if it is a true step up and gets close to the Norma.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have the 35 Whelen already. Love it. My favorite cartridge right now. Was looking around and stumbled across this intriguing gem. Does anyone have any real world experience with this cartridge? How close in performance is it to the 358 Norma Mag since that appears to be the next power step up from Whelen in the 35 cal line of cartridges? A poor man's magnum has its appeal if it is a true step up and gets close to the Norma.
I'm not shooting one but I'm shooting this.

In the 35 WhelenAI I'm shooing 59gr/R-15 with 225gr AB mid 2700fps. I've never build Gibbs or shot one and it may get little more capacity then the AI.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I already went the 358 Norma Mag route. 35 Gibbs may be in my future, but the 358 Norma Mag appears to do what the Gibbs can do and possibly more. So doubtful. In fact I am looking at another 35 whelen built out on a ruger 77 as my next project.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well I already went the 358 Norma Mag route. 35 Gibbs may be in my future, but the 358 Norma Mag appears to do what the Gibbs can do and possibly more. So doubtful. In fact I am looking at another 35 whelen built out on a ruger 77 as my next project.
I forget to look at the date of your post. I like AI but sometimes forming brass is a pain. I never did look at 358 Norma Mag and I have couple 30-338 mags which is close to 308 Norma Mag. I think you got good case and I use some of Norma data for my 30-338 mag. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far the 358 norma mag brass is a very easy case to form from virgin 300 win mag brass. I just take the brass and run it through the RCBS sizing die and trim to length. Load and shoot. I have not worked up full house hunting loads yet, but I am already at the upper end of the 35 Whelen and can go up from there. I do not hot rod either. I consider my upper end on the whelen for a 250 gr bullet to be around 2500 fps. I know a lot of people are reporting getting more out of theirs but that is the sweet spot for accuracy in my rifle. If I get 2750 -2800 hundred for a 250 gr bullet in my Norma and it is accurate then I have achieved "max" and will be pleased.

The other thing is the 358 Norma feeds fine in the ruger 77 I built it on. It started life as a 7mm rem mag. I am not sure if the sharp shoulder on the gibbs cartridge causes feed issues. Maybe me just being paranoid, but that was one of the reasons I ultimately went with a uncommon, but commercial Norma round.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Read a book on Rocky by Wolfe Pub. Phoenix. He called for "one caliber" of neck. '06 less .36 and you are cutting down a bunch of powder capacity. His "glory" was the .270 Gibbs... or so they claimed. The "bible" is, of course, Mr. Ackley's two volume set of books if and when you can find them. Rocky also used a steeper shoulder than the Ackley 40 degree as I understand. If plain Jane .35 Whelan is not enough, I think I would go straight to the .358 Norma but I am old and lazy and that factory ammo, no matter how hard to find, looks awful good. (In my youth, I had to have a .35/348 WCF on a Siam Mauser by Mr. Ackley hisself, shop anyway. I loaded .358 Norma data, starter and moderate loads with no problems at all after some careful work with the Powley computer system... That was a cardboard sliderule... or two. ) Luck. Happy Trails.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just signed up. I own a cystom built 35 gibbs on a Parker Hale. Douglas premium grade barrel. Macmillan stock. My buddy bought it but didnt like making brass for it? You do get some splitting when forming 3006 brass. Part of the process. He gave me a load list when i bought it. I tried 3 rounds with 50 grains of RE 15 behind a Hornady 250 grain soft point. Split all 3. Hmmmm. Okay so went down to 50 grains and worked my way up to 57 grains. Settled on 55.5 grains of RE 15. Solid load, chrono'd at 2650 fps. Grouped under 2 inches at 100 yards. At 300 yards it was 3.5 inches. Its like a stiff 3006 load. But it hits like a freight train. I took my limit in mulie and whitetail that year. I love 3006 and dislike 300 winmag, a lot. But this is spot on. A friend i was hunting with the next year **** his bull moose with it after a serious malfunction with his 300 winmag. 1 shot at 250 yards. He now owns a 35 gibbs. Lol. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16,491 Posts
I love the 35's especially the big 35's.
The Big Lady is my biggest 35. I have pushed 250 Oryx past 2800 with alot of 4350 powder. Its still shootable.
Back in '86 when I had a Mauser barreled for a short chambered Whelen I looked very hard at the Brown Whelen as the AI Whelen seemed not a good value velocity wise. I already planed a longer 26" barrel. The Brown had quite costly dies and its advantage was slight. I decided just to chamber for the then wild cat Whelen and rely upon the slight longer bbl for any boost. It worked (mostly) Im able to push a 200g Hornady past 2900 fps trouble is its past what the bullet is built for so I have to limit it to lungs inside 200 yards.
Now, with the big Norma, I have adjusted the calibers with more specific bullets in mind. The Norma gets the biggest like 250/280/300's Including my 270 Cast, while the Whelen gets the 225 Accubond and Partition the 358 Win gets the 225 Sierra and 220 Speers and 230 Cast the 35Rem the 200 FTX (pump) and RN & Cast in the Lever. Lastly the delightful Maximum and Legend get up to 180jacketed and 200 Cast for closer range deer in my smaller parcels of property.

I have read about but have no experience with the 35 Gibbs. Good luck with it!
CW

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never did pursue the 35 Gibbs, but instead went with the 358 Norma Mag and have added to my collection of 35 Whelens. No regrets. I took three deer with it a couple of years ago with authority. All on shot and flop.

Reactions: cwlongshot
1 - 12 of 12 Posts