Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at Gunbroker and came across a 35 Rem barrel that is for sale and the seller stated that it will also shoot 357 light pistol rounds. I have a 35 Rem barrel that I have never used. I was wondering, if the above statement is true, would it be advisable to use the CCI 357 bird/snake shot cartridges in that barrel or is there possibilities of damaging the barrel???

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I would NOT do it the 35rem is a bottle neck rifle round and the 357 is a pistol round they are completely different in shape ,size and power other than bore diameter they have nothing in common with each other .Don't use any ammo that doesn't match the designation on the barrel .Superdown

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
it must be a 357 MAXIMUM......NOT a 35 remington. you can shoot 38specials and 357magnums out of a 357maximum barrel....if you want, although i'm not sure of the accuracy level you would achieve given the long jump to rifling. i'd prefer lighter loads in the longer max brass myself, if i wanted lighter loads. the 357MAX is a longer version of the magnum case.

the 35remington ONLY chambers 35remington.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roger that... Thanks for the input. I had never heard of those two interchanging until I read what the guy was stating on Gunbroker. Thought maybe it was something I had missed over the years. Thanks again. 35 Rem only.
I still need to shoot that thing. I have had the barrel for two years and never tried it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
forthejeep said:
Roger that... Thanks for the input. I had never heard of those two interchanging until I read what the guy was stating on Gunbroker. Thought maybe it was something I had missed over the years. Thanks again. 35 Rem only.
I still need to shoot that thing. I have had the barrel for two years and never tried it.
Try it you will like it. My 35 rem is one of my favorite barrels.

·
Registered
28,628 Posts
he may have meant that you can hand load bullets for the 357 in 35 rem cases !
i loaded 180 gr 35 cal rifle bullets in 357 mag cases with good success !

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I have loaded the light pistol bullets in my .35 Rem cases and shot them in my .35 Remington barrel for my Contender. They shot nice with far less recoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts