Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals. I've got a nice bolt action I have up for sale (locally) and recently had a trade offer for a pretty nice original Contender in stainless with a Super 14 35Rem, pachy grip set, a Millett Aim Point/Red Dot, and 3 1/2 boxes of ammo.

First question is I've never shot the 35Rem and am curious about the recoil. This has no brake on the barrel. I'm not much of a handgunner and would probably be looking to do some swapping for a barrel I'd use if the recoil was too harsh or I found I just didn't use it. It is a legal deer cartridge around here, but I have never handgun hunted and honestly wasn't looking to get into it.

Second question is about the popularity of the cartridge. If I do end up trading and needed the cash out of it, is the 35Rem in this size of a barrel something that would fetch a decent price fairly quickly, or would I be stuck with it or have to take considerably less than other calibers if I have to move it?

Final question is what a fair trade value of this set-up in excellent condition? I know what the value of my rifle is, but I want to be reasonable and fair with this guy if I decide to go forward with it. I've been trying to look for comparable packages on auction sites, but they don't necessarily reflect the true value of an item. Keep in mind that this guy has approached me regarding the trade, so I have to assume that he holds my rifle at a decent value to begin with. I've not ran accross much action on the 35 Rem barrels and most complete pistols seem to be in the $400 area lately. Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this infringes on the "value my set-up" rules too much.

·
Registered
457 Posts
$450-$550 would be my guess as to value. Recoil will be too much for some but the 35remington is a popular caliber that seems to sell pretty quickly. Hope this helps

Austin

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Anyone else have any additional information or opinions they would like to share?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you were going to hunt big game up through elk with a factory caliber contender the 35 Rem or 45-70 would be the pick of the litter. The 14" barrel will get you the most out of the 35 Rem. If you learn how to properly shoot a pistol like the Contender then recoil will not be bad at all. DO NOT FIGHT RECOIL AND TRY TO HOLD THE PISTOL DOWN WITH A DEATH GRIP. Let it happen and it will not be bad. Will be less than most 357 mag revolvers in the Contender. $400 is about the going price of most Contenders around where I live.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The .35 Rem is an excellent deer round. And despite the intimidating looks of the cartrige...the recoil is really not that bad in my opinion. I find it more of a pleasure to shoot than a .44 Mag actually. And if you decide the .35 Rem is not for you, I dont think you would have trouble swapping the barrel out at all or selling the whole package if thats what you decide to do.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have a 14" .35 Rem and have fallen in love with it..as stated its recoil is not that bad..mine is extremely accurate and really shines with the Leverrevolution ammo (the only factory load I have used)..I don't think one could find a better beginner cartridge for handgun hunting whitetails. Plenty of powder, availibility of factory ammo.not too harsh recoil..plenty accurate for the task...and if you don't fancy it as much as I do, it shouldn't be a problem to sell or trade..just list it on GB classifieds. That is where I found mine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The 35 Rem is really underrated. Just like with the new ultramags, WSMs and such in rifles, the trend is to go custom wildcat in the TCs when the old standbys have been getting the job done for a long time. The 35 Rem is in a nice sweet spot:

The cartridge gives up very little in a Super 14 barrel compared to a rifle due in large part to the favorable expansion ratio of the 35 bore vs modest case size.
The round is at a power level where a brake is not necessary - especially if recoil is damped by a scope and mounts
Cast boolits are practical for practice as well as hunting in this caliber (RCBS 200 FN especially)

If this was a hunter barrel with brake, it would only have a 12-12.5 inch effective length sapping performance. The 35 Rem in a rifle is a very effective killer and the TC in 35 Rem retains the vast majority of that power rendering it very effective on game. That is not the case here. You are already set up with Pachmayr grips which help with recoil. I'd say go for it. I have one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I sold a Super 14' Stainless Contender in 7X30 Waters with a Leupold 1.5-5 X scope and Pachmyer furniture for $575.00 at auction , with dies and Brass . Info on your rifle was pretty scant so I can't comment on the parity of your trade .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a Ruler m77 VT in equally good shape. Stainless and laminate combo warming/target bolt action. They retail over $900 and I'm selling bare rifle.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Two data points for you:

If you look at gunbroker you can take home a fairly clean Ruger SS/Lam VT for $550 today. Most of the completed auctions over the past months are right about there too.

CDNN is selling brand new Ruger SS/Lam rifles (not varmint) in a variety of calibers for $567

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.