Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Been lurking and learning here for quite a while. I am a long gone single shot fanatic. I own Handi and CVA guns. On to my question.
Will the Handi .35 Whelen stabilize 250gr bullets? I want to add a Hammer to my lineup and this may kill or seal the deal. My alternatives are buy a .35 Whelen barrel for my Apex or get a Handi in .444 as my Hammer. All options are in the same price range. Any help or information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
W

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
welcome to GBO.

yes, a 250 grain bullet will stabilize in a 1:16 twist barrel. just how well, is another question. that depends, each rifle is unique to itself , but if your a handloader you can build a load / cartridge should deliver the performance you want.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
i hand loaded for my handi in my 35. i tried a wide range of bullet weights. i ended up getting rid of the barrel, because of the ignition issue ( see the stickys for more info on that ). but when everything comes together, i didnt have an issue with heavy bullets. i only shot to 200 yards, with the 35 so i cant speak to anything beyond that.
i hand load for all my firearms, dont remember the last time i bought factory ammo to shoot, .. i have bought factory ammo, and taken them apart to get what i wanted. i did do just that for the 35.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome JimP. That is a thought and the 45-70 Apex Barrels are available right now but I have a good friend who loads for the .444, 44mag, and 44 special. One of the options is to share cost with him on the 444. I really want the .35 Whelen Handi but the 1:16 twist has me concerned that it will not stabilize 250gr and the longer 225gr bullets.

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Edog537 said:
Thanks for the welcome JimP. That is a thought and the 45-70 Apex Barrels are available right now but I have a good friend who loads for the .444, 44mag, and 44 special. One of the options is to share cost with him on the 444. I really want the .35 Whelen Handi but the 1:16 twist has me concerned that it will not stabilize 250gr and the longer 225gr bullets.
WELCOME Edog!!

Yea 1;16 is a lil slow to my liking as well, but as many are 1;14 its not horrible and as mentioned different barrels are different...

I lake the old Speer 250 RN personally and its shorter bearing surface may help in this regard. Mine is not a handi but a Shillen barreled Mauser with a 1:14 barrel.

CW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.