Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my gun was at the post office, picked her up, mounted the scope, bore sighted and put my strap and ammo holder on. Get looking at it, has a repaired stamp and a dot on the barrel by the chamber.....YES, YEHAW, no fixing needed! taking it to the range tomorrow!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
AND! Talked to my moms first cousin today, he has a Winchester model 70 in .35 Whelen and he has all of the reloading stuff and only lives a mile from me! So pumped!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
CONGRATS!! They are addicting.....I have 7 LOL. Keep us in the loop how she shoots!!

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
My Dad shot his Moose with my .35 Whelen Handi. I don't know how many Black Bear I've shot with mine, plu one Grizzly. I reload and use Nosler 225gr partitions, they work good on big animals.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well didn't make it to the range today but will be tomorrow morning. Anyone have a charts for 35 whelen 200gr rem core-lokt through this 22'' barrel?

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
Ooh you picked a great caliber! Its a very versatile caliber that fits well as a single gun if your a handloader. Good deal on having a reloader so close who can help and get you started reloading!! Nothing better than that! The 35 caliber in general is my all time favorite followed by the 45 caliber. I think I have more 35 caliber firearms than ALL OTHERS COMBINED!

I built my 35 Whelen back in 1987. I started with a old 1909 Argentine Mauser rifle, (for the action) a Shillen barrel and kevlar stock. When I was done I had a rifle I could be proud of. My single negative was that That year Remington chose the 35 Whelen for the Classic and I could have bought one for one third of the price I paid for my Mauser. ::) :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have killed a few deer with the Hornady 200 Spitzer plain based bullet shot from my 358 BLR at just under 2400fps so I had high expectations with it form the Whelen at 2800fps+ using AA2520 powder. Well it worked, it was a lightning rod, but would come apart on leg bones and spine shots, I would always get exits, but not complete bullets.

Sierra came out with the 225 spitzer boat tails and Nosler with the 225 Ballistic tips and I started using them. These are a great Whelen bullets. I took a few deer with them, using 4320 powder.

I was suggested to try the 225 Accubond, shortly after the ballistic tips where non existant. These accubonds where like a partition with there taper jackets and bonded cores. They flat held together and penetrated very deeply. They also shot better in my guns than the partitions did. I was using RL15 powder.

I shot a bunch of 160 Keith SWC bullets at 357 Magnum velocities. These shot great too! Great for just plinking or small game load.

Good luck with all the great memories your gonna make with the Whelen.

CW

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
As others have mentioned, the Whelen is a great cartridge. In a Handi, it is easily in the Top 5 of heaviest recoil. I suggest you invest in the best set of rings and scope you can afford. That investment will save you a ton of frustration later on. Just remember Murphy's Law is in full effect when we hunt. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
579 Posts
Dinny said:
As others have mentioned, the Whelen is a great cartridge. In a Handi, it is easily in the Top 5 of heaviest recoil. I suggest you invest in the best set of rings and scope you can afford. That investment will save you a ton of frustration later on. Just remember Murphy's Law is in full effect when we hunt. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

I love mine, haven't worked a lot with it yet. RL15 and 250 grn interloc's work well. It is however my heaviest recoiling rifle and not a lot of fun on the bench! Makes my 444 seem pleasant :eek: .

·
Super Moderator
51,491 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well good news and bad news..............good is 1.5" group at 100yds with crappy core-lokt ammo.....bad news is 5 missfires out of 16 rounds. WHAT GIVES? Barrel has repair stamp on it. Going to get a box of Nosler or Hornaday and see what it does. It appears this ammo is old stock and I do remember reading there was ammo issues and this gun with Remington Core-Lokt. On a happier note I did watch my favorite movie last night "The Ghost and The Darkness"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thinking about sending this email to the gunshop, what do you guys think?

To ________

Gun arrived on Thursday, took it out today to sight it in. We have a small issue, out of 16 bullets it misfired 5. I have since learned that there was a recall on this rifle in this calibre, but this gun you have sold me has the factory stamp that it has indeed been repaired, so this may be an ammunition issue as I have also learned that Remington's Core-Lokt 200 grain is inconsistent with its head spacing.

However I believe this is a pre-existing issue and that the gun is not "new" and the consigner knew about it as there was evidence the gun has been fired before me. Had it not been fired the barrel would have been free of burnt gunpowder.

I very much would like to keep the gun provided it is an easy cheap fix, whether it requires the use of one particular ammunition or a small amount of gunsmith work. Is there any way you can help me out? I would like to get some Hornaday SP 200gr bullets to try in it to eliminate whether its ammunition related but there is none available locally. Would you be able to help me out with a box?

I am very happy with your service and would like to keep it that way.

Thank you kindly and await you speedy reply.

·
Premium Member
11,225 Posts
The factory fires all rifles before they ship.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
check for light primer strikes on the cases that FTF..... :eek:

·
Registered
935 Posts
are you sure the hammer always clears the scope adjusthent? My .308 had that problem, and it was that the adjustment being out of round and hittidown the hammer at certain places. do the cases fit flush in the chamber? Not sliding in a little too far. Can you compare the spent brass for a fit, maybe borrow a few reloads, or get one of the cases sized my new similar rifle did NOT have burned powder in the barrel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hammer clears, I filed the extension for even more clearance, yes the misfires have lighter marks on the pin, I would think that they would clean the barrel before they ship a new gun, I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
light primer strikes aim at...weak hammer spring or the worst......head space problem !!!
if your lockup is tight.

hopefully it is the ammo....lets hope so 8)

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
astro_ss_340 said:
. . . . ."The Ghost and The Darkness"

sure don't want any of those kind of misfires like ol' j.h. patterson had . . . :( :eek: :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No doubt Ranger99! So someone forged the (Rep) stamp on the barrel? Or its not new, just well kept and hammer spring is dicked? If it has head space issues and fires 2/3's of the shells....is Remington ammo that inconsistent?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.