Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What powder could anyone recommend for loading a .35 Whelen for paper-patching?  I want to push a 200 grain pure lead bullet at around 2200 fps - should be an easy task for the gun.  But my understanding is that pp bullets prefer 100% load density.  Likely a slow powder of some sort.

·
Registered
392 Posts
.35 Whelen

I must admit, I have never read where PP prefers a full case. I pulled out my Cast Bullets by Harris and he lists PP loads for the '06 with 2400 and 34gr. of 4895 which I know is the prefered powder for jacketed '06 bullets is not nearly 1/2 full I think. I think you should look to jacketed data for the velocity you desire. JB

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
.35 Whelen

huh, I learned the 100% load density thing right here on this forum. I was having difficulty with a .357 mag load, until someone suggested loading full bore. Instantly my groups shrank to something reasonable.

But if someone else is having success with 1/2 density loads in a .30-06 ... I suppose I'll re-try it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
.35 Whelen

I did not wish to counter what you know, increased load density does improve accuracy but you must look first to jacketed data and compute the load for your desired speed. The only powder I know of that will fill your case and give you 2200fps is one I am just starting to work with. It is pulled 50cal powder. WC860. 56gr of it in an 8mm gives under 2000 fps. The load data for this powder is generly fill to the base of the neck and stuff the bullet in. fire and shake a few grains of unburned powder out of the barrel and empty case and reload! JB

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
.35 Whelen

JB -

Is there a good local source for surplus powder around here? (We're not too far apart as I'm in Pulaski.)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.35 Whelen

Hey Catwhisperer,

I've got a brother in Pulaski! He comes over a lot and we hit the shooting range together.

Nope, I don't know of any Mil. surplus powder sources. I do a fair bit of travel for work, but it's to the west and south of Rapids. I sniffed out good places for powder and primers. It's funny, one place will sell powder at a good deal, but the primers are spendy. Another place, it's just the opposite.

Noticed your signature reference to wine. Do you make choke cherry wine? We've got a bumper crop of wild cherries here, and I've got to think of how you work around the pits. The wild cherries are too small to run in a pitter, and but the pits are too big to ignore.

·
Registered
392 Posts
.35 Whelen

Cat Whisperer, I have not seen any local sales of pull down surp powder. The powder I got was from another loader who had bought a lifetime supply and was lightening his inventory. I will keep my eyes open for you. JB

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
.35 Whelen

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Hey Catwhisperer,

I've got a brother in Pulaski! He comes over a lot and we hit the shooting range together.

Noticed your signature reference to wine. Do you make choke cherry wine? We've got a bumper crop of wild cherries here, and I've got to think of how you work around the pits. The wild cherries are too small to run in a pitter, and but the pits are too big to ignore.
If that's Pulaski, VIRGINA it's indeed a small world (my Rand McNally lists 21 of them) where I live was Count Casmir Pulaski's home town before he was killed in our Revolutionary war.

My wine? - bottled under the label of Chateau Barracks.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
.35 Whelen

ah!

I wasn't paying close attention when I saw the "JB" address. I must have thought it was "BJ" which some people use for "Black Jaque" (among other conotations, ahem). And I saw Pulaski, and just thought you were talking Wisconsin. That's a ways away from Virginia. The only thing close to Virginia is my flintlock, which is TVM's version of an Early Virginia. :)

Now to patchin' that .35 Whelen.

·
Registered
420 Posts
.35 Whelen

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I wasn't paying close attention
Hey Black Jaque?,,,,,,,why dontch'"ay invite all these fellers over to the Trad.BP board? mabey we can all learn sumpthing a tween each other?
sure would be easy,,sharins better thtan bickerin!!
I mean if this ain't the same black jacque janaviac that posts on the trad bp thread I apologize to all,,gads'.
just look at the words man :)

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
.35 Whelen

BJ - (not JB) -

Keep us posted on the 35 W. PP.

I have a Rem 700 in 35 W - unfortunately with a 1:16 twist which isn't enough to stabilize the 358009 (280gr). So I'm going to build a mould - might as well be PP, aiming at 250gr or so. I'd like to see what your results are.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
.35 Whelen

Will do. This project is going slower than I'd like. It just takes a pile of money to get a new caliber up and running. It's not just the purchase of the gun, but I've gotta spend money to put the bbl on, spend money for sights, spend money for dies, powder, primers, and, finally, a mold.

Not that it's a problem, it just takes time to earn all that money.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.35 Whelen

Well it's been months. Now I've finally got some experience with paper patching the Whelen. Unfortunately I ran into a glitch that may be problematic. I ordered a Mountain Mold, and owner Dan Lynch is limited to producing flat-point only molds. Not that the flat point bothered me, but I learned that the flat point catches on the breech so loading from the magazine may be a problem.

On to the testing. I did not get the opportunity to give it a real trial yet since I just dragged the Whelen along when my brother and my son went out for an informal plinking session at a place which lacked a decent benchrest. So sitting down and resting my elbows on my knees I was able to produce a 1.6" four-shot group at 50 paces. This was with 52 grains of Reloader 15 and a 275 grain paper patched bullet.

With 53.5 grains of Reloader 15 the group fell apart to about 5".

Then with 55 grains of RL-15 I shot the first one over a chronograph. The chronograph read 2606 fps!!!!!

There was no obvious signs of excess pressure. In fact the outside of the case neck seemed a little grubby which is usually a sign of low pressure. However a .35 Whelen just ain't supposed to do that with a 275 grain bullet. I put the gun away and pulled the rest of the bullets loaded over 55 grains of RL-15.

This was a surprise to me as I figured the Whelen would be able to tolerate several grains more of RL-15. At any rate, I don't need 2600 fps. I was looking for something like 2200 fps.

·
Registered
203 Posts
.35 Whelen

You might want to try 4831 in your whelen. I have used it in my 30 cal. guns with great success. Plan on it in my 358/35Whelen/35Win guns. I couldn't load enough of it in my 30-06 with a 210gr cast bullet to give any problems and velocity was just above 2200fps. Will give you 100% loading density. I load it to a slight compression of the powder. Also use H50bmg in my 375 H&H with great success at nearly 2200fps.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
.35 Whelen

Hey thanks I'll give it a try.

I recently tried RL-19 and that might hold some promise. Pressures seemed very low, 54.5 grains of it only pushed the bullet along at 2085fps. Soot around the case mouth, and primers were hardly flattened at all (looked like my .38 special loads). Accuracy wasn't worth a darn.

But there's more room in the case yet.

Does anyone have any experience crimping paper patched bullets? Maybe I'll start a new thread for that.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.35 Whelen

So far I've worked up to 57 grains of RL-19. No signs of excess pressure. Primers aren't even flattening. Groups are getting better too. One 3-shot group printed under 2" at 100 yards (peep sights). That charge ran around 2150 fps. These I seated out about 0.005" farther than previous ones, and I could still hear powder shaking in the case.

They still penetrated 1/4" steel at 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
.35 Whelen

more updates.

I tried 58 grains of RL-19. Four out of five - shots a sub 2-inch group at 100 yards. Didn't get to chronograph it.

I also tried 49.5 grains of RL-15 and got my best group ever with paperpatched bullets. 4 out of 5 shots under 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Velocities were in the neighborhood of 2250 fps. Not bad for a 280 grain .35 Whelen.

If I can keep this up, I will have to consider this a great success. I did precisely what I set out to do. Take paper patch for a high-power rifle, but use a heavy-for-caliber bullet to reduce the velocity while maintaining all the power.

At 2250 fps the 280 grain bullet carries 3200 ft-lbs of KE. That is not considered any "reduced load" for a .35 Whelen. The only thing lacking would be the flat, laser-like trajectory. But heck at 2250 that should be sufficient on elk somewhere past 200 yards. If the 1.5 inch 100 yard group translates to a 3-inch group at 200 that would be plenty of forgiveness for field errors. (Call me conservative, but I do not consider a paper plate-sized group the maximum tolerable group size. I figure a smaller group is necessary to allow for problems that crop up in the field.)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
.35 Whelen

so did the thing feed from the magazine? I heard that crimping PP bullets could cut the patch and ruin accuracy. Do you collect the patches to check for burn marks along the side of the bullet? I am trying to get a Whelen to shoot with the Lyman 250 grain mold with little success.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
.35 Whelen

so did the thing feed from the magazine? I heard that crimping PP bullets could cut the patch and ruin accuracy. Do you collect the patches to check for burn marks along the side of the bullet? I am trying to get a Whelen to shoot with the Lyman 250 grain mold with little success.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts