Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a spike with my Ruger Black Hawk .357. I shot the deer at 51 yards broadside. He came past me tracking and when he hit an open lane I mouth bleeted to stop him. When he stopped I put a 125 remington soft point through the top of his heart and both lungs. He kicked and ran down a bank about 45 yards leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow. Bullet unrecovered passed through. This is the 4th deer I have shot with this umc remington ammo. So far great performance on all 4.

I am having trouble with putting a picture on here if I e-mail it to someone could they add it to this post. I am really computer illiterate.

http://www.mypicstudio.com/show.php?img=6531_handgundeer.bmp.html

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: .357 deer

that great, hope i can tag a deer with mine this year too. shooting a python with 158 XTP. can't wait to see u'r pic.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Re: .357 deer

Didn't you guys know the 357 wasn't enough to kill a deer !!!!!!! what were you thinking ? HA HA LOL, Justin

·
Registered
220 Posts
right click on picture at the photo hosting site. click on properties, copy the address. Under reply page(or new post) click the little icon that says insert picture. you will see

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy M

No scope, factory sights. I have never been one for a scope on a hand gun. Love the ease of carry with a bare handgun. I shoot alot and am a retired Police Officer that now works as an armed guard. So I have had to qualify and still have to qualify with a handgun twice a year. So Shooting one is second nature to me.

Good luck with getting you first with open sights.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
That's awesome! Well placed shot at broadside deer at manageable distance=plenty of venison!

.357 is definately enough for deer under those conditions!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good Job!!! I'll share a lil story about the GP 100, 357 Mag.

Years back I got bored with riffle deer hunting and someone suggested I try Handgun hunting... It sounded appealing so I set out to get my first handgun. decided I wanted something with not too much recoil to start off with and ended up with the GP 100 357 Mag using 158 gr XTP bullets....

I was not as accurate at 50 yards as I wanted to be although plenty good to kill a deer. Did some research and found out Ruger sold a V-sight set up for the GP 100 and it made all the difference in the world.

My first year out I passed on the first deer and never seen one the rest of that season... Next year I was determined to get one and would have taken an yearling as I was sick on top of the prior years disappointment. Well the largest buck I ever shot came by that morning and although a well placed shot he still ran 75 yards....

I have many fond memories with my GP 100 and as confidence built I have taken deer out to 80 yards with it...

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I got a small buck and a doe this season so far with a S&W 629. I was using a 240 gr. flat nose lead gas check bullet and Unique powder. I got the buck at about 30 yards and the doe at 45. I have open iron sights on this model.

This is the first time in the woods for this gun and I was impressed. I don't normally use this gun for hunting, but decided to use it this year as my woods gun. I Have another 629 configured with a 2x Leupold scope, but didn't use it this trip. I guess I may think about using this 629 more often. ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
good shootin bryan. i carried my 41 mag blackhawk , but she's remained silent so far. dan

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Bryan

That can not be! A deer....with a .357....with 125 JHP.....at 51 yards....with complete penetration? How can that be...your supposed to use a 180+ gr hard cast (or better yet a .500 S&W with a 400 gr bullet - hard cast of course) or you get a nasty surface wound with no penetration...ok, I'm making fun of some others around here. Great shooting and well done.

Larry Gibson

·
Registered
590 Posts
I will be taking my new 686 out this weekend
may seem a bit silly, but I will have several guns with me in the blind
a Tikka 308 for long shots, scoped Ruger 44 for 50-100 yards and the Smith 357 in case something is close

obviously I could get by with just the rifle or one of the pistols, but hey, I got them, might as well use em!
There are lots of deer and hogs where we are going so I could probably take game with each
my 10 year old son will have his 243 too

·
Registered
542 Posts
Bryan Elderkin
That's a bold faced lie !!! We all know you can't kill a mouse with a 357 Mag let alone a big old deer!! Can't do that unless your shooting that super 460/500 mag!!! ;) Great shot ! :)

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
454Puma said:
Bryan Elderkin
That's a bold faced lie !!! We all know you can't kill a mouse with a 357 Mag let alone a big old deer!! Can't do that unless your shooting that super 460/500 mag!!! ;) Great shot ! :)
Actually, promoters of the .357 magnum caliber are the only ones I see say this in print, here?

·
Registered
542 Posts
S.B
It was a funny !!! Poking fun at all those that say the grand old Mag isn't good enough anymore!!!:()

1 - 20 of 36 Posts